Stinson Mountain Trail

Stinson Mountain Trail is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Rumney, New Hampshire that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,354 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Gradual climb good for beginners, rated as a moderate hike

Buggy in the parking lot, but not on trail. A few small muddy spots in the middle. Fairly easy on lower half, then gets a bit steep. Also a bit rocky on top half. Very nice views from top. There is a small trail at top, about 75 yards long, that leads to an opening that has a very good view of the lake. It’s a bit tricky to find. As you enter opening at top look to the right and you will see a small path slightly overgrown with small pine trees. Recommend for almost any level of hiker.

great hike. superb view. about 2 hours round trip.

Steady incline & progressively more rocky as you go. The halfway point is the logging road....turn left for about .2, before turning right back into the woods. When you get to the switchbacks, you’re in the home stretch. Nice fitness hike!!

Consistent incline the whole way. Not bad at all. Some parts are rocky. Some are muddy- which was a little surprising as it hasn’t rained for days. Buggier than expected- huge black flies! Make sure when you get to the top you take the tiny path to the right so you can see a view of the lake too! An hour to summit,48 minutes down.

Good hike; steady climb with a nice view at the top. Very buggy and a fair number of wet spots.

Good home, definitely moderate, lots of mud, bugs, & Rocky patches, great views at summit

Great hike. A bit muddy and A LOT buggy!! Trail markers are sparse. Look for pink ties around trees.

Nice hike for beginners or an easy day out for more experienced hikers. Trailhead has room for 3-4 cars, with side street parking for overflow. For this time of year, both access road and trail are in good shape. Trail is muddy in places but walkable, with no snow / ice at the top (only the last little bit of snow remains to melt.) Summit has lovely views and plenty of place for several parties to sit and enjoy. We all had a really nice day - going roundtrip, slowly, took us about 3 hours (including break at top for ~30 min.) Saw the first bugs of the season, but not yet biting.

Nice gradual incline and then a moderate incline after the first mile. I only came across one other person so it was great to have the hiking trail to myself basically. Great views at the top! No blazes or markers really but there is pink surveyor's tape that marks the hiking trail.

recorded Stinson Mountain Trail

Trail was well packed so we left our snowshoes behind. Lovely woods and easy to moderate grade. Great views for relatively little effort.. Only room for 2 cars at the trailhead proper and if it gets much warmer, the risk of getting stuck there will be substantial. As someone else said, there's a stretch about 1/4 of the way up when you walk along the snowmobile trail for ~200m. After that, you're back on a footpath. Only real complaint: The snowmobile trail is in the same vicinity all the way to the top. We shared the summit with a group of about 5 machines and other parties were coming and going. They were nice folks, but it wasn't exactly wilderness.

great hike with incredible views.

Bring snowshoes. Good for an easy winter hike and for new winter hikers. Trail isn't packed down all the way so snowshoes will help. Great views at the top.

The parking lot at the trailhead is not plowed. You will need to park just down the road about 0.3 miles and walk to the trailhead. There was only room for 2 cars, so we had to park off to the side on the road. Trail had not been used by too many people before us recently. Started with spikes, but ended up switching to snowshoes after the second crossing with the snowmobile trail and kept them on for the remainder of the hike. About half way up the trail the snow was not as hard packed and snowshoes were needed to keep from postholing. Overall, a great hike with nice views!

Fantastic trail for a sunrise hike. Basically just a slightly more difficult Willard

Loved this hike and I loved that we got to blaze for about half of the hike. We only saw one trail marker the entire hike. When you are starting out in the snow with no trail to follow - markers are key. I have The AllTrails app and luckily we were able to check our progress and location against the trail recording which was nice. First time we ever had to use the app during a hike. The clouds rolled in just as we got to the summit. Unable to see a large view, but the trees were amazing just the same. We did not see any moose, but we saw a TON of moose activity. We will be back to do this one again!

Hiked with my 6 and 10 year olds. Fairly easy trail. Nothing technical or difficult. This trail jumps between a foot trail and snowmobile trail. First mile on footpath then .25 on snowmobile then finish the last .75 back on hiking trail. Steady but gradual incline for the first mile until the junction with the snowmobile trail. A moderate incline the remaining mile. I was expecting far less traffic than what we encountered but by no means was this trail busy. Great hike for first timers or any skill level. Views are southern in direction with clear shots to Cardigan, Kearsarge, Lake Winnepasaukee, and Plymouth. My 10 year old and I plan on coming back in the winter.

This is a nice hike. starts off easy, level and gradually gets steeper and moderately Rocky. Haven't hiked in years and I had no trouble( few brief rests) took me about 2 hours to go up and maybe an hour down. very few people I came across. nice views for the hike. enjoy

Great hike! A bit slippery but nice views at the top! :)

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Nice quick hike to get one in for intermediate hikers. Took me 52 minutes to get to the top and it measured 1.8 miles one way... which would mean it's actually closer to 3.6 miles according to my gps. I think it would be a good but a bit challenging for kids. I thought it was a bit harder than Rattlesnake Mtn in Rumney maybe only due to the length. Very muddy despite it not having rained for 4 oe 5 days and a bit rocky but nothing that waterproof hiking boots can't handle. I did enjoy the sounds of sprinking/ running water almost the whole way up though. I might actually rate this more of a 3.5 honestly. The views were gorgeous on the day I went and I do think I liked this one better than Tecumseh on top. I do think it was worth the hike... but bring your poles for the way down.

Friday, July 27, 2018

Lovely, quick hike. Very few people on it. Trail isn't really marked, but the path is carved out well. Just make sure to take the hiking trail at the fork and not the snow machine trail.

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Great hike - 45 min steady climb up. Beautiful view of windmills and surrounding landscape

Monday, June 11, 2018

Just starting hiking with my husband, we aren't in the best of shape but this trail is close to home. It gets pretty steep and is also very rocky. We will definitely feel it tomorrow. Took us 1.5 hours to the summit that's with breaks and being really out of shape. 1 hour back down.

Monday, April 23, 2018

Great short hike. I had the summit to myself. The Views are incredible! I only saw one blaze the whole way up. I needed spikes half way up for traction. Still snow covered in spots.