Stinson Mountain Trail

Stinson Mountain Trail is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Rumney, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Gradual climb good for beginners, rated as a moderate hike

Bang for the proverbial buck. A short hike to a big vista. Not heavily trafficked. Be sure to wear orange in hunting season.

Definitely a moderate hike. As others have said, it's a steady climb the entire way up. I'm a novice hiker and I would say it took me a solid hour and 20 minutes, stopping along the way. The trail is very poorly marked (if at all) but I had an AMC trail guide with me that really helped -- and I'd recommend. When I went up I only passed one other group as I was arriving, it allowed me to hike with my dog off the leash. The view is "okay" by White Mountain standards, but I think during foliage season it would be a great view. I'm not sure I'd take small children -- while the trail itself is well kept, I'd say it's a hike you as a parent don't want to have to carry your child.

We recommend dry conditions, no rain for several days previous as the trail is rocky and slippery when wet. My personal device recorded 4 miles in and out. The trail starts out very gradual but the steady incline steepens towards the top. The trail is not particularly well marked but usually obvious. The pano views at the top are outstanding.

Choose weather wisely. View isn't up to much on overcast days but limited chances to get up here on vacation. Also if you can do it without a 35 lb kid on your back that would improve things.

Very rocky but a good hike. At the top you can see Rumney and Plymouth. Mnt Cardigan off to your right. Good hike for kids not to long.

Love this hike! Approximately 45 minutes to the top with a spectacular view

great bang for your buck. beautiful views from the top looking south. view of Stinson Lake down a short hike from the top

Quick did it in 45 great view from the top

Trail started out great. Nice low-grade incline for about a 1/4 mile, and then it was basically a consistent, semi-steep climb to the top. Very crappy in a lot of places, i.e. Swamp, mud, loose rocks, etc. However, the views were spectacular. There was a nice clearing at the top which overlooked most of Plymouth and the hills surrounding it. Beautiful view of the windmills as well.

Definitely wait to see what the past couple days of weather look like before trying it because there was a point where I had no choice but to walk through shallow water in order to continue. I would wait for a week with absolutely no rain before going. Absolutely bring an extra pair of socks just in case.

Great view but super buggy, muddy, and not well maintained but at least it's short.

Nice hike with grandsons & daughter. Still some snow and mud on trail, t-shirts were enough for most of the hike.

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Excellent trail for family and dogs. Hiked in with friends on a Saturday mid day in early November. Temp to start was 40 at trailhead. Dropped to 34 at peak and wind picked up but you get out of the wind quickly when descending from the peak so.......Beautiful views at the peak. Lots of room for others at peak trailhead. Enjoyed a picnic lunch and the views. Up and down with 3 boys in age from 8-12 in about 2.5 hours.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Very rocky, lots of bugs , trees fallen in path ways, muddy.... Oh did I mention VERY Rocky!
I didn't think the view was worth the trip...
Be careful it's an ankle twister!

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Nice hike. In the trees the whole way until you summit. Small summit with great views, nice places to sit. Sharp drops from the summit so be cautious if kids or dogs summit first. Parking for five or six cars easily at the trailhead. Very few people on July 3rd.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Nice beginners' trails, saw my first black bear about a quarter of a mile in the trail, spooked and he ran away. Nice view and the top, but only the south of the mountain, not the lake.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Short and sweet. About 1hr. up and 45 min. down 5/30/16 in about 90* heat. Neat summit with a nice view. One of the nh52with-a-view.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Absolutely perfect beginner trail. Make sure to take the hiking trail and not the snowmobile trail at the split like I did haha go right at the second bridge with the hole in it! Very nice view for the effort as well. All around good mountain for anyone.

Monday, November 30, 2015

I hiked this with a friend who has a house on Stinson Lake in July 2015. It was gorgeous weather during our hike and we had no issue with bugs--sounds like some other hikers were not so lucky. The hike up is pretty unremarkable and there's really nothing to see until you get to the top. The view was better than I was expecting. If you bushwack a little past where you reach the summit, you're able to get to a bit of a clearing that gives you a great shot of the lake. I enjoyed it and would go back again, but I can't compare it to any of the other hikes in the area since this is the only one I've done.

Thursday, November 19, 2015

It was rainy and cold ...unfortunately no views

Thursday, July 02, 2015

It was a good hike for only having hiked once so far this summer, and it not being a long drive from the house. It was just long enough to get the blood flowing and get some exercise. The views from the top were not as picturesque as some others nearby, but it was beautiful none-the-less.

Friday, August 22, 2014

I completed this hike with my family at the end of June 2014. Honestly, I was not too impressed. The terrain was extremely muddy and rocky; this plus the several switchbacks along the trail made for a fairly unpleasant climb. The bugs, particularly the black flies, were ravenous, too. When we did reach the summit, the restricted views did not satisfy us; it was hazy and the farthest we could see were the houses of Rumney beneath us.

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Great hike with the kids and pup. Lots of fun, unfortunately a cloudy day, so no view from the top. A few slick spots, but pretty easy.

Friday, August 30, 2013

Great moderate hike for my kids ages 7 & 13. We also took our 11 month old yellow Lab along with us for his 1st hike and he loved it. I would do this hike again

Thursday, August 01, 2013

8/1/13-Hiked with my 11y old son and 10month golden. Nice moderate climb. Not well marked though. Great rocks for lunch spot up top.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Great family hike with easy to moderate pitches. Great views to the south from the half exposed top.
Took this hike in Mid-April. Needed Microspikes on the top half of the trail. Monorail, Ice and lots of mud.

Sunday, July 08, 2012

Great moderate hike. Trailhead is in walking distance of our home so we do this hike frequently. Trail is well marked. Snowmobiling trail intersects the main hiking trail in several spots.....for those that want a different route you can always follow snowmobile trail to top, less strenuous but still offers same distance and gets you to the same summit. Great views once on top!

Thursday, February 09, 2012

Great winter hike! 3.2 miles round trip, not well marked, but packed down quite nice. Great view.

recorded Track - Aug 25, 08:05 AM