South Moat Mountain Trail

South Moat Mountain Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Conway, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

19 minutes ago

Awesome hike, made the trek with my 9 year son, 7 year old daughter, teen niece, and 64 year old mother and it was an all around crowd pleaser. We all found it challenging, yet very rewarding as the views were spectacular. Looking forward to do the hike thru to the North Moat Mountain.

Incredible views at the top.
It should be mentioned at the beginning of each review.
Not an easy hike.... uphill from the start. Not to steep, doable, and will get your heart pumping.
Couple if their 50s. Took us 4:45 with a 15 minutes break in top.
Great.

Very FUN!!

I very much enjoyed this trail- one of the best of the area. The varied path grades and quality keep the hike interesting and moderately challenging. The payoff was excellent- a breezy summit with excellent views. I would happily do this hike again and again.

This hike was awesome! It was very very difficult given the 60% humidity but, I could see a normal day being rated moderate. Took us about 4 hours with 4 pretty long breaks going up. It starts off very easy like everyone said and then gets progressively steeper. I never felt like I was really scrambling up rocks though and I often feel that way in the whites. The view up top is totally worth it so keep pushing past all the nice overlooks and areas that feel like false peaks. You get a full 360!! Would absolutely do again.

Hiked with my family. Kids 12 & 8 and Dad 63. It was a tough hike. The first mile was a pretty easy smooth path. The rest of the way was pretty steep and rocky. It took us 3h 45m to reach the summit, 1h 50 min to come down. “SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE”
Views were amazing!!! Well worth it
Great day enjoying each others company!

Hiked with my wife and 5 boys (16, 14, 12, 10, and 6). We all were able to handle this hike. The first mile was mild. The last portion was fairly steep. The good part is that along the trail there are no steep drop-offs. All the ledges are very mild so we didn't feel there was any danger at the summit of the South Moat. I haven't had a good hike in 2 years and this was the perfect challenge for me. We spent plenty of time at the top and did "out and back" to the south summit in just under 5 hours. The six year old hiked the entire trail. The blueberries were plentiful this time of year and were an added bonus.

As others have said, the first mile is nice and gentle, but the last half is a bit of a work out. Heavily traveled, which is good because trail markers are scant in some stretches. Slow and steady. The summit views are well worth the effort.

Took this trail with my family with the youngest kid at 12 years old.
Bit challenging for someone out of shape like us (me) but worth every minute and drop of sweat. Took us about 4h with few short "water brake". I would do it again without hesitation.

One of my favorite trails. I enjoyed the mixed terrain and beautiful views from the top.

My wife and I did this trail with our teenage sons. We are all pretty fit (running, cycling, playing sport) but we found this trail to be challenging. The first half is pleasant and pretty easy. Then some time after the little bridge, you climb relentlessly up very steep and very rocky paths for 400 to 500m. The views are spectacular. Take plenty of water and allow almost as long for the descent as the ascent.

Overall took me about four hours to go up and come back down again, with about 30 minutes at the top. Gets pretty steep at some points, especially near the top. I found this trail to be difficult, but I don't hike as often as I would like to. Bring big spray!

This was a great hike! We brought our 7 yo daughter with us and she made it to the top with no complaining (we did bribe her with a trip to Zebs after). Trails are clearly marked and the view would have been amazing but we hiked on a cloudy day after it rained so we didn’t get to see much. The mosquitos below the tree line were out in full force so bring bug spray! The trip took us 5 hours with stopping for snacks, lunch and a rest break at the top. The rocks can be slippery when wet so if you go after it rains take your time and watch your footing. I would hike this again!

beautiful

This was my first hike in 2 years.It is difficult if you are a beginner. It rises gradually and is super steep in sections. Rocky too. Definitely carry a bug spray during the spring. The last mile was a real struggle but the views are worth it. Very rewarding. Make sure to carry a lot of water.

This was my first ever hike! A little buggy this time of the year but a bunch of friendly hikers offered up their bug spray (so nice!). Definitely got a little strenuous towards the end and it caught me a little off guard, but the view was just spectacular. It was sure worth the hike!

This was a relatively quick hike with the reward of spectacular views at the summit. The first mile and a bit is a relatively easy ascent on a dirt path; from there you'll hit a fairly steep ascent and a few rocky scrambles up to the summit. I chose this hike because of what previous reviewers said about the views and I was not disappointed. The panorama was really breathtaking, from Chocorua to the Presidentials, to the towns laid out below. I'm really looking forward to hiking this mountain again and continuing on to North Moat.

This was amazing and challenging hike and the trail was well marked. It was somewhat steep in sections, but you get breaks along the way. Ultimately not a ton of effort for the rewarding views! Also there wasn’t a lot of fellow foot traffic which made for a peaceful summit.

Beautiful trail - varied terrain. Lower portion is a smooth dirt path with constant but mild ascent. Upper portion is increasingly rocky, giving way to open rock expanses and views of the surrounding scape. As others have said, the climb is moderate. Some steeper sections but good breaks between. No real scrambling on the way to North Moat. My pup (45lb hound) did this trail easily. Watch yourself on the rock if it's wet - we found it to be very slippery in bareboot. All ice is gone and spring/summer bugs are out in force. :) Can't wait to do this one again all the way to North Moat.

hike, not for beginners
good 360 views, completed in 3.4 hours with a break at summit
not a good trail for bad knees

Not for the faint of heart! Strong and endless elevation gains after the first 20 minutes of the trail. Beautiful scene at the summit makes it all worthwhile. We were hot on the trail but conditions were cool and windy up top, so layers are a great idea. Enjoy!

Absolutely beautiful hike. The trail to South Moat Mountain starts out as an easy uphill stroll along a nice wooded trail. Just past the halfway point views begin to show through the thinning trees. 3/4 and the trail turns into open sloped ledge with sporadic trees and vegetation. Shortly after you will emerge onto the summit. The summit a completely open cone with plenty of flat space to roam as you take in the incredible views. I was fortunate to visit here on a day of clear skies and could see Mount Tecumseh one direction and the Presidential Range in the other. Although a relatively short mountain when compared to many it certainly gives you the impression you are standing the summit of a "big league" mountain. Most of the trail is steady uphill but not overly strenuous, the steepest sections are fairly short and well spaced out from one another. I would rate this trail on the higher end of moderate and very well worth the effort. As a very experienced 30 year hiker of The White Mountains, this is my first time here and I must say it is one of the VERY BEST views you could find!!!

Went out for our first ever snowshoe hike, and picked this trail because of the good reputation and great views. We were not disappointed. The snow was perfect for snowshoes. We are somewhat strong hikers, and we were up and down in 4 hours. The trail is not a great challenge, although much of the trail is unspectacular, but it is a full sized mountain. The summit is VERY cool. Its a sharp pinicle that makes you feel you are out in open air. The views of Mt Washington were utterly stunning today (today was EXTREMELY clear with several feet of fresh powder). Be aware that Mt Washington is 19 miles away, so a super crisp view isnt guaranteed. We would've carried on the 0.6 miles to Middle Moat Mt if it weren't for the literally subzero wind chill.

All in all, this is a nice, sometimes uneventful, trail that leads to a wonderful summit.

Beautiful views from the summit. I hiked this in the fall & the colors of the trees were simply amazing. Very well traveled. Passed lots of friendly hikers of various ages.

Did this one about a month ago, bring microspikes, maybe some snowshoes too in the winter! Incredible views at the top. This little mountain was very memorable for me still! It was extremely windy at the top, but you felt higher than you were because of the 360 view and many places to look!

lost from list added it back.

crazy crispy clear views! Stare down the Kancamagus. Bring some traction.

we did this last summer. pretty challenging but worth the view

Great trail, little icy in spots only a couple of ins. of snow. Top has a super 360 degree view.

Great hike. Some powder up there now. Would rate the rock scramble closer to difficult. Not very friendly for smaller dogs, at least this time of year.