South Moat Mountain Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Conway, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful trail. Starts to the left of the parking lot. Very fun to hike with snow at the top, would definitely recommend chains. The views were incredible and well worth the hike.

Even in early November there was still quite a bit of color. Tricky to find the start of the trail but once you do it the trail is well marked with yellow dashes. Going down was more difficult to me with the slick rocks, I fell 6 times, but it was the day after a moderate rain. Amazing views and a great first New England hike.

A lot of rocky ground. If raining can be hazardous.
Good 360 view at the top.

Really nice hike with great views. Major bonus that its dog-friendly. After doing this “moderate” hike, I’ll never do a “hard” one :) it was challenging! Steep and rocky, but the 360 view from the top made it all worth it.

Excellent trail - wonderful 360 view from top.
With lunch break just under 4 h return.

Great views during climb and at the top (360 views until the fog rolled in). Fall colors were out in full force and amazing! Trail conditions were good but could see how this would be trickier in wet conditions.

Great trail conditions nice views until clouds cover

Absolutely gorgeous. It was a very rewarding hike at the peak with a large rocky area and a panoramic view of the entire surrounding ranges. It was a pretty tough hike in all honesty, but I also wore regular sneakers which complicated things lol. We completed it in about 4 and a half hours and will definitely do it again - highly recommend to others for a good half-day activity! Perfect for fall foliage! :)

Challenging, rewarding, beautiful. Great forest setting. Well marked. Definitely tricky if there’s lots of wet rocks. I found boots to be a good choice and wish I had brought my trekking pole. Was very populated today. The last stretch is the hardest but it’s worth it.

Just finished this and am quite tired. Definitely was not expecting it to be as difficult as it was. Still, I would highly recommend this trail for the amazing scenery and 360 degree view at the top. Also seemed to be a good amount of traffic so there’s always a good amount of people at the summit or on the trail before 4 pm.

Hiked with my 6 and 10 year olds.

I really enjoyed this hike which isn't always the case. My 10 year old and I plan on coming back in the winter. Neither child struggled although we did notice the elevation gain.

Great hike. I'm not a fan of flat rock, and these were slick in spots. Otherwise, would've been 5 stars. Crowded after 12:00 on weekends.

Great hike, well marked, ample parking, not too difficult. World-class views at the summit

Lovely hike with mostly steady uphill, rocky path. Well marked and well worth the effort. like all White Mountain trails, sturdy boots are recommended, but doable with light hikers

Such a fun hike! Easy going up and pretty well marked but can get a little difficult at the top with the loose rocks. Took us a little over four hours but I also took my time going down due to a sprained ankle on another mountain a few weeks ago. View is so worth it!!

Awesome hike! Definitely harder then your typical moderate rated trail. Amazing views at the top ❤️

Very nice hike. First part seems quite easy while the second one is definitely moderate to hard. Beautiful 360 view on top makes it well worth of it. Highly recommended!

Great moderate to hard hike. A few steep rocky sections near the top. Great 360 degree views at the top. My wife and I are in our 50's and in pretty good shape and took 4 hours round trip hiking time. We found this and Mt. Kearsarge North to be similar in difficulty and both had great views at the top.

I am glad I had a chance to read the reviews before hiking this trail. I enjoyed it tremondusly. But it would have been more difficult if the rocks were wet.

Awesome hike, made the trek with my 9 year son, 7 year old daughter, teen niece, and 64 year old mother and it was an all around crowd pleaser. We all found it challenging, yet very rewarding as the views were spectacular. Looking forward to do the hike thru to the North Moat Mountain.

Incredible views at the top.
It should be mentioned at the beginning of each review.
Not an easy hike.... uphill from the start. Not to steep, doable, and will get your heart pumping.
Couple if their 50s. Took us 4:45 with a 15 minutes break in top.
Great.

Very FUN!!

I very much enjoyed this trail- one of the best of the area. The varied path grades and quality keep the hike interesting and moderately challenging. The payoff was excellent- a breezy summit with excellent views. I would happily do this hike again and again.

This hike was awesome! It was very very difficult given the 60% humidity but, I could see a normal day being rated moderate. Took us about 4 hours with 4 pretty long breaks going up. It starts off very easy like everyone said and then gets progressively steeper. I never felt like I was really scrambling up rocks though and I often feel that way in the whites. The view up top is totally worth it so keep pushing past all the nice overlooks and areas that feel like false peaks. You get a full 360!! Would absolutely do again.

Hiked with my family. Kids 12 & 8 and Dad 63. It was a tough hike. The first mile was a pretty easy smooth path. The rest of the way was pretty steep and rocky. It took us 3h 45m to reach the summit, 1h 50 min to come down. “SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE”
Views were amazing!!! Well worth it
Great day enjoying each others company!

Hiked with my wife and 5 boys (16, 14, 12, 10, and 6). We all were able to handle this hike. The first mile was mild. The last portion was fairly steep. The good part is that along the trail there are no steep drop-offs. All the ledges are very mild so we didn't feel there was any danger at the summit of the South Moat. I haven't had a good hike in 2 years and this was the perfect challenge for me. We spent plenty of time at the top and did "out and back" to the south summit in just under 5 hours. The six year old hiked the entire trail. The blueberries were plentiful this time of year and were an added bonus.

As others have said, the first mile is nice and gentle, but the last half is a bit of a work out. Heavily traveled, which is good because trail markers are scant in some stretches. Slow and steady. The summit views are well worth the effort.

Took this trail with my family with the youngest kid at 12 years old.
Bit challenging for someone out of shape like us (me) but worth every minute and drop of sweat. Took us about 4h with few short "water brake". I would do it again without hesitation.

One of my favorite trails. I enjoyed the mixed terrain and beautiful views from the top.

My wife and I did this trail with our teenage sons. We are all pretty fit (running, cycling, playing sport) but we found this trail to be challenging. The first half is pleasant and pretty easy. Then some time after the little bridge, you climb relentlessly up very steep and very rocky paths for 400 to 500m. The views are spectacular. Take plenty of water and allow almost as long for the descent as the ascent.