Shoal Pond Trail

Shoal Pond Trail is a 16.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bartlett, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked the Shoal Trail as part of a loop (Zealand-Ethan pond-Thoreau Falls-wilderness trail- Shoal Pond Trail-to Zealand). Hiking North on Shoal Pond Trail was definitely the most difficult part of the loop, due to many downed trees in the trail and lots of mud and decomposing bog bridges. There are about 6 water crossings, some with need to go barefoot. Still a great hike all around and the ~18.5 mile loop to/from Zealand lot took me (fit hiker with light backpack) 9.5 hours total. I saw lots of moose scat, and at Shoal Pond I did actually see a beautiful cow moose!

The section of wilderness trail between Thoreau Falls Trail and Shoal Pond Trail was in good condition. Saw only two hikers once I got off the path to the AMC hut. A notice at the Zealand parking lot said that the bridge was out at the intersection of Thoreau Falls and Wilderness. Luckily I found that crossing the water there was no problem at all, and I didn't even need to take my shoes off to get across.