Shannon's, Summit West and Lower Link Trail

Shannon's, Summit West and Lower Link Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Greenfield, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until October.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,164 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a relatively easy hike accessible all year round. However, during winter snowshoes are recommended and in April the trail can get very muddy. Though the summit has only very limited views, the surrounding ledges have breathtaking views off to the south, southwest and west of Mt. Manadanock and North and Pack Manadanock. Best bet for mountain conditions is to contact the Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center at (603) 547-3311.

After the overlook there are tons of blackberries and blueberries. Watch out for bears! We did run into a mamma bear and her 2 cubs directly in front of us on the trail. She reared up on her hind feet to ward us away from her and her cubs. So we backtracked and didn't finish the loop but it was a fun adventure. Easy to get off course as not well marked.

It was a great hike!! If your not use to hiking this gets pretty difficult!!! BUT Let me noteee at the end I pulled 15 ticks off of me! Got home and pulled at least 30 off of my dog! If your going to do this be careful and check yourself throughly!!

took the Gregg trail up and back, this is definitely an easy hike...lots of bugs...disappointed in overall description of this.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

great trails all around the mountain. shannons trail was the one took most of the way but the gregg is nice too. good views throughout.

Monday, September 11, 2017

First of all, there were ABSOLUTELY NO TICKS found on any of the 9 people in my group. 'nuff said. Trail taken in counter-clockwise manner. Stayed on Gregg for insurance from ticks. No signage on from lookout at top off Gregg trail to Shannon trail. Poor signage on Lower Link trail. 2 star ding for poor signage and blazing on Lower Link Trail. Nice directional views

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Great hike! No bugs. After you get through the field, I recommend taking the Lower Link first rather than continue on Shannon Trail. I have bad knees and Lower Link is pretty steep so going down would have been a long, painful trip. It was a workout going up but worth it.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

No dogs...screw you NH.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Took Shannon's trail from the Crotched rehab Gregg trail. Did not have a single tick. I know it was a terrible season, but I live close by and the tick population has dropped significantly in recent weeks. Also folks, I see a few people bring their dogs. If you are using the rehab trail, please do not bring your dog. The trails are designed for wheelchair access and the rehab center also brings residents with developmental issues, and a dog can be very frightening, no matter how well behaved. There are lots of access points to Crotched trails, and I would have loved to have brought my dog too, but not on Gregg trail.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Great trail. I was scared to come because everyone was raving about the ticks. I didn't have any issue with ticks, prepare for deep wood bugs(lemon grass oil worked nicely). Great views off Shannon's trial. Get out there, it's lovely and no one is out there! Total serenity.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Ditto about the ticks! Came up Gregg's & Shannon's Trail, and was going to hike to the summit. When I stopped to tie my shoe, my socks and pants were literally crawling with ticks. I was stopped near a stream crossing which was high and I wasn't sure I wanted to cross anyway, so I aborted the hike.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Nice hike but couldn't continue on because there were so many ticks. Got onto the grassier trail and there were instantly ticks on my shoes.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

ive done this loop before and enjoyed it very much. Decided to take my son out for hike and shortly into the walk i found a tick. Ok, there out this happens. Went a little further and found a few more on both of us. Then I happened to look down on some of the grass and could literally see a handful of ticks hanging on the grass. Decided to abort the trip. By the time we got off the trail i had pulled a dozen or so off each of us! The area is infested!. Its unfortunate because I do enjoy this hike but id avoid the area at this time.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Okay, first I must say I loved this hike with my dogs. I did go slightly slower than normal because I was taking pictures and resting the dogs. I took Greg's trail until I realized dogs were not allowed, so I jumped over to Shannon's trail. Then Upper link to Summit West to Lower link. I must say lower link kicked my butt as I thought it would be cake walk and instead it's all uphill! Really fantastic hike. The only negative aspect of this hike which really only reflects the environment and not the location, was the ticks. Between my two dogs and myself we had over two hundred ticks on us! I'm not exaggerating, it was horrendous and I'm still finding some several hours later. I had three different bug repellent/ spray/oils on but I'm not sure if it made any difference at all.

Friday, April 28, 2017

Nice hike. Great views at top. little miss leading on trek down says trail doesnt go back to recreational area but if you follow map it does.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Take Gregg trail and at the top take a right and follow the ATV trail over the wall to Shannon's trail to upper link trail then Summit west trail to lower link trail you won't be disappointed. Picnic table at the top about a 5 + Mile enjoy.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

it was nice , more of a walking path through the woods than a hike though , but as for dog friendly, there are signs everywhere that forbid dogs and horses and bikes , I ignored them and brought the dog , one plus is that the trail is VERY handy cap accessible!

Saturday, July 30, 2016

good trail, not very hard just a good day in the woods!

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

I hiked the Gregg trial and it was buggy but so nice and refreshing. The view was amazing and I even saw a deer! Loved this hike

Monday, June 27, 2016

It's close by easy access, dog friendly.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Trails were kinda poorly marked. The map saved me a few times. Easy climb. Decent view at the top

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Nice, easy hike. Trails well marked

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Great hike. Nice mix of inclines and flats. Felt like I got a workout but was able to catch my breath occasionally. Beautiful views. Loved the viewing platform with the mountains labelled.

Monday, September 14, 2015

Great hike. Its in my back yard so very convenient. Hiked it twice so far this summer. Good views, easy trails to follow.

Saturday, September 05, 2015

Spectacular hiking day with my friends and dogs. Strong signage facilitates the walk. We climbed first Gregg's trail and then Shannon's trail to summit. Wonderful views along the way. We descended by Upper Link to Summit West to Lower Link and then back to trail head. This AllTrails app let us follow our progress easily. Nice bench at the summit was perfect for our group lunch. The first part of the path is handicapped accessible; it's fabulous.