Sawyer River Trail

Sawyer River Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Campton, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 344 feet Route Type: Out & Back

We were looking for a decent distance hike without the crowds and weren't let down. You have to cross the Swift River at the very beginning of the hike. So be ready for that. Then on the way out you will find a well marked trail that has a decent incline. We were at Sawyer Pond in about 2 1/2 hours. There are 8 tent platforms at the pond for those that are looking to spend the night. Only 2 were taken when we got there. This was on a Saturday afternoon, so the low number of hikers here was evident.

We were looking for something quiet on a busy August Saturday in the White Mountains. It was empty! But also very over grown. There is a water crossing near the beginning that is probably easy for excellent rick hoppers in August when the water is low..... I'm not an excellent rock hopper so I took off my socks and shoes and walked through it. It was refreshing! Also note this is not a shady hike.