Sandwich Mountain Trail

Sandwich Mountain Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Sandwich, New Hampshire that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round.

What a great hike! I'm still feeling it in my knees today. The first 1.25 miles or so are very steep, with an elevation gain of about 2000 feet. From there it's pretty easy until you get about 1/2 mile from the summit, where it gets steep again. The trail is pretty narrow, with lots of rocks and roots to slip on and trip over. The trail could be marked better, most of the blazes I saw were pretty faded.

The summit is really anticlimactic given the effort to reach it, but you do have a good view of the eastern end of Waterville Valley and Mt. Tripyramid. There are also a couple ledges on the way that offer good views, though obviously from lower elevations. If you're not too tired I recommend taking the steep 0.2 mile trail to ~3460' Jennings Peak, with its great views to the west.

I took Sandwich Mountain Trail both ways, but according to the map the Drakes Brook Trail looks to be relatively moderate until about 1/2 mile from the summit. Maybe I'll take that trail if I hike the mountain again.

All in all a great hike, challenging and physically punishing for this out of shape 48 year old guy.

Great winter hike, we got a neat perspective from Jennings even with the clouds. Very steep terrain but we managed with microspikes.

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Monday, September 26, 2016

Monday, July 01, 2013

Today was a humid day and it has been raining on and off for a week before this hike and the trails were showing it. Slippery rocks, roots and it looks like it does not get much sun on this trail. I won't be going on this trail again, not much for views and lots of moss on the rocks. The pictures I took was from Jenning peak, which is on the way to Sandwich Dome. Sandwich Dome peak was disappointing, narrow views and not much room for hikers (4 comfortably).