Sandwich Dome

Sandwich Dome is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Waterville Valley, New Hampshire that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I was told there would be “limited” views on this hike. Not sure if the person who told me this hiked it blindfolded, because I found this hike to be beautiful. Noon Peak and Jennings Peak where spectacular vistas. The summit of Sandwich Dome had wonderful views of the Sandwich, Presidential, Pemi and Franconia Ranges. There’s a small pill bottle currently serving as the summit canister, which is sitting right on top of the cairn. We took Sandwich Mountain Trail up and Drakes Brook down. I recommend doing it this way since Drakes is more gradual. Drake’s Brook followed a beautiful river most of the way, with only one major crossing. Definitely would do it again.

I'm 65 and haven't really done much hiking in years, if not decades! Went with my 20 and 30 something kids. Some stretches going up were quite steep and it's pretty much uphill from the start. There is a nice viewing point well below the summit. I decided to save my remaining leg strength for the trip down and stopped at 3600 feet or about 300 feet below the summit. Probably didn't need to, as going down proved easier than I expected. Much of it by a brook. Nice. Old guys, give it a go, but pace yourselves!

Monday, May 29, 2017