Learn more

Saco Lake and Elephant Head Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(98)
Crawford Notch State Park

Saco Lake and Elephant Head Trail is a 0.7 mile out and back trail located near Twin Mountain, New Hampshire. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.7 miles Elevation Gain: 167 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Super short and easy hike. Views are top notch for such a hike. To the south east you’ll look into Crawford Notch. To the north west you’ll look at the AMC Highland Center. The Crawford Station for the Conway Scenic Railway is right there. We did this hike mid April and it was 60°. The day was perfect.

Short but uphill climb. Stay in the middle of all logs and bridges. Beautiful view of Mt. Washington Hotel and Mt. Washington on a clear day.

Beautiful view for very easy, short hike.

Short hike with view of lake. Part of it was rocky making it hard for my little dogs to walk thru, but made it thru without injury.

Great views for a super short hike!

Hiked this back in July 2019 Short hike with beautiful views at the top. We got to the top just in time to watch the train go by, super cool! Trail did have a fair amount of roots.

Quick, easy trail to a beautiful view. Trail was very muddy but there were planks to walk on. Perfect start for introducing kids to hiking.

Tue Jul 09 2019

It was a little muddy in some spots but not too bad.

Fri Jun 28 2019

Great view at the top.

Tue May 14 2019

The Saco Lake part of the trail was washed out, but the trail up Elephants Head was passable. Saw some very cute wildlife

Thu Apr 25 2019

Wicked nice, short hike! It was a bit snowy and muddy, cleared out some trees out of the middle of the trail but other than that it was amazing! A little hard to follow the trail this time of year could use some paint on the trees but other than that it was just gorgeous! Headed up to bugle cliff and that was such an amazing view!!! Amazing trail for kids as well!!

Wed Feb 27 2019

Perfect short easy hike, amazing view of the notch. Really is a uncanny resemblance to a elephant head, but maybe im silly but missed it as its visible from the road not at top of trail so didnt see it till we were walking back to car lol.

Tue Feb 19 2019

I just went to elephant head on the way down from Jackson and it was amazing. I hadn't been there in several years. It was definitely worth it. There were also great views!

Fri Oct 19 2018

View is definitely not worth the climb. Lots of boulders, tree roots, and rickety logs walk over

Wed Aug 22 2018

Easy with great view of the notch!

Tue Aug 21 2018

Fri Jun 29 2018

A great little hike with amazing views.

Sat Apr 28 2018

Did this trail in april. Still snow covered but easy and quick with great view at the end

Sun Mar 11 2018

Hiked this trail today with my wife and 3 year old daughter. My wife and I are experienced and helped our daughters a little of course but it was an easy hike that leads to a beautiful view point of my favorite area of the white mountains (Crawford Notch). The snow pack made it more beautiful and fun for all of us!

Wed Feb 21 2018

Great with kid dad did it in winters

Sun Oct 15 2017

Great little hike through the forest! Unfortunately it was too foggy the morning I hiked for me to see anything from the top. I'll be going back on a better day to see what I'm sure are incredible views.

Wed Sep 27 2017

Great hike, wonderful views. Did it with my husband and my 2yr old son who loved every bit of it

Mon Sep 18 2017

I would definitely say this is a Moderate level trail! Pretty steep in places, but the views are totally worth it!