Pumpelly Trail

Pumpelly Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dublin, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from July until October.

2001 feet

Directions from Dublin, NH: From Dublin Lake's east end follow Lake Road south about .5 mile to reach the trailhead.

Was raining a bit and was misty when starting - was extremely windy once we reached the top. Beautiful views as usual.

Happy Hiking. Stay safe.

took pumpbelly up, then dublin down (it was a car spot). my opinion not hard, but moderate. some scrambles but very doable for the average hiker. good views along the way.

Beautiful hike, if you have time you should definitely take this trail up Mt. Monadnock.

I was hesitant about parking at first because I only saw one car parked at the beginning of the trail, but nonetheless left my car there. After doing this I now realize you can pretty much park on the side of the whole road, since I saw loads of cars that had done so when I was done.

Anyways, very nice hike up. The trail gets a bit tough after about 1.7 Miles, but wouldn't say too difficult. The top has so many places to rest, that even on this day where there quite a few people up there I was able to find a secluded place to just take in the views and relax whilst having a small bite to eat.

Do bring bug spray as they were a bother for the first 2 miles. I did run into a snake, which for me was pretty cool, not too familiar with what type so I did exercise some caution as I don't normally see them back in Jersey. Wasn't a problem at all.

Overall, very beautiful trail. Do definitely recommend!

Went up white dot to cascade link and Up Spellman to the summit. While people have rated Spellman as the hardest trail to the summit, I would respectfully disagree. It is a lot of elevation gain over a short distance, but seems to be over before you know it. After getting to the summit, we took the advice of a local to go down Pumpelly and connect to cascade link, back to white dot trail. After going down Pumpelly, I would have to say that this trail would be much more strenuous going up than Spellman was. Either way, it was an enjoyable hike. White dot was very crowded on the way up, but as soon we turned onto cascade link, the crowds disappeared until we reached the summit. I would definitely advise bringing bug spray as the damp conditions in the trees seem to harbor a lot of mosquitos. All in all, if you want to avoid the crowded trails stick to Pumpelly or Spellman via Cascade link.

Full range of landscape's to enjoy as you hike, not heavy foot traffic (several times have had the trail to myself!), and some excellent views. Can do all seasons, although the upper areas get a bit icy. Good conditioning hike.

This was a long hike, very pretty but it’s 90% climbing up and down rocks. Wear bug spray

Pictures going into this hike did not do it justice. Just a beautiful enjoyable hike and view. Highly recommended. Trail conditions were very good. Some avoidable mud. Moderately strenuous to strenuous out and back. Mix of forest and exposed rock. Trail was moderately trafficked and definitely less than surrounding options. Several great viewpoints on the way up and down.

The ascent is very scenic. The ridge-walk makes you feel as if you’re climbing something in the Presidential Range. Coming down was somewhat tedious as the trailhead is so far from the actual mountain.

After searching for a long while, finally found Pumpelly Cave, one of the secrets of Monadnock.

One of my favorite hikes. Monadnock is just the best within reasonable distance from me in central MA and this seems like the longest and most fun summit route. Amazing views, technical but not extremely challenging, scenery changes. Good stuff. Get there very early for parking - side of the road on a small road.

Planning a day hike tomorrow, unfortunately don't have time for the Pumpelly Trail because this is my favorite by far. Still on the hunt for the Pumpelly cave. Love that there are no crowds and it's well marked.

Best trail on Mt. Monadnock.

This is a less crowded trail up Mt Monadnock. Easy first 1.5 mile, then steep up for another mile or so. Have to climb up a few boulders which is fun getting up but can be challenging getting down. Great view as you head close to the summit with 360 view up top. Summit however is very busy and can get breezy. Caught the last bit of foliage today. Would highly recommend this hike. But would avoid when weather is wet as the rocks up top can get very slippery.

Well marked and beautiful views! Quiet trail as compared to others there

It’s not for the faint of heart. Well marked and maintained.. Go for it.!

Hiked this trail on 9/24/17. Great trail want to do it again

Fantastic hike and great challenge.

did this Trail last summer on a very foggy day! could barely see 20 feet in front of us, it was still an amazing time despite the lack of views! we did it again a couple weeks later via the Spellman Trail again another awesome day and the views are spectacular! This truly is a magical Mountain

My favorite hike up Monadnock.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Use this trail if you want to avoid the crowds and the steep climb on white dot. White dot trail takes you up 1600 feet in 1.5 miles while this one covers 2000 feet in 4 miles.

Parking is off road. But it's oke as I saw only around 10 cars on a bright Saturday morning at 65 Fahrenheit.

Initial 1 mile is quite easy and a nature walk rather than climb. The gradient becomes more after that. Perfect for warmup. The summit seems really far when you are 60 percent done, but keep at it. It's not as far as it seems.

We started the hike at 10am, reached summit at 1, enjoyed scenes for 30 mins and reached back at 330.

Dublin lake near the trailhead is marked private property, no fishing etc without any clear boundaries so decided not to dip my feet for a pleasant end to the trip. There may be another access point to the lake. Took one star off the rating cos of that.

If you are not sure if you want to travel 2/3 hours to try monadnock, do try the blue hills skyline trail end to end a shot before coming here. Difficulty is same or a bit more.

Next hike, white mountains. :)

Monday, May 08, 2017

absolutely loved this hike - gorgeous views wherever you turn - easy to follow and diverse terrain - only complaint is how crowded and loud it was at the top

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Did it today. Tiny bit of mud at the start but 99.5% of the trail was still snow/ice covered. Def better going first thing in the morning while the snow is hard. I put spikes on once it got steep. Took about 3 hours round trip. I'd say it's on the harder side of moderate. I don't think I'd says it's hard though. Great views once the climb started. Can't wait to come back this summer.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Late November on a Saturday. Very few other hikers. Strenuous in parts, but a great ridge hike once you've gotten some elevation underneath you.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Awesome trail. Getting up to the summit can be a challenge with lots of rocky steps but so worth it!

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Hiked the Pumpelly Trail, what a beautiful way to spend the day. The trailhead is located directly across from 86 Lake Road and it was 4.5 miles to Monadnock. Starts with a nice stretch of well-shaded forest trail, then a good sharp incline up to the ridge which is more exposed and the views really start to open up. Found some solitude even on a gorgeous Saturday in July. As others have said, it gets much more crowded near Monadnock. After the descent, the trail practically ends as a waterslide down into Dublin Lake. Finishing the day with a dip was so refreshing!

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Our favorite trail up Mount Monadnock! This trail is much less crowded and has great views for an extended section of the hike unlike the other trails which only see small views until you reach the top. Very beautiful!

Monday, June 20, 2016

We found this to be a lovely and less-crowded route to the summit of Monadnock. While the summit was fairly crowded on a Sunday afternoon, we saw only a handful of hikers on Pumpelly.

The entrance was much easier to find than the internet suggested. First, Pumpelly Trail is now on Google Maps, so you can drive straight to the trailhead. We cached the entire map to the summit and had phone service (AT&T) throughout the hike. If you want to navigate offline, you just head west .4 miles from the center of Dublin town (at the flag pole), then turn left on Lake Road and go exactly .4 miles. You will see a trail on the left with a sign 5 meters from the road, which is directly across from a brown cabin on the right lakefront.

There are no dogs allowed on the hike (signs posted throughout), but we did see one dog on the summit. The trail was easy to follow in the summer and had only one steep section. We saw a lot of trash near the summit, so you may want to bring a bag to pack trash out if you're a good samaritan.

We also took a swim in Dublin Lake after we came down, so bring a swimsuit or towel if you'd like to cool off!

Monday, June 13, 2016

Check out the video of our hike up this trail : https://youtu.be/a2ilztgslpU
This is one of the easiest trails up the mountain mainly because it is not very steep. We had a great time hiking this in the early spring. It is a fairly long way up, but it goes fast. There are a few sections with some large boulders to crawl up and down. Contrary to the description there are no dogs allowed on this trail or anywhere in Monadnock State Park.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

This is a great trail! Difficult at times, but many great views!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Bad ass trail but the day was a scorcher which made it a bit harder to thoroughly enjoy with the wife. I'd do it all over again if I had to though ;p