Prospect Mountain Trail

Prospect Mountain Trail is a 3.4 mile loop trail located near Lancaster, New Hampshire that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 895 feet Route Type: Loop

I would highly recommend this hike for a beginner hiker. Pretty steep at many points but overall moderate. I would pack light depending on weather.

From the lower parking lot of Weeks park, we took the all around the mountain trial to the right and picked up the carriage trail to the park road. We walked to top on the road and then walked the road back down to parking lot.

Once we found the trail, it was fairly well marked with reflector signs in the trees. Compared to other trails in the area these are not as well maintained and they seem to be used less often. We hiked the Heritage trail from the park entrance to the Old Carriage Road, then up the Old Carriage Road to the paved road. Do to the conditions of the trails (wet, slippery and loaded with bugs/ticks) we decided to finish our hike on the paved road.

My wife and I hiked and snowshoed up on one of the coldest days last week. We used snowshoes on the Heritage Trail and up the Davidge Path to the snow covered road more by choice then necessity. Felt like we were in the back country saw a lot of animal trails along the way. Weather was cold but clear and sunny making for great views. Looking forward to going up again in the spring.

Not the greatest maintained trail, awesome fire tower and historic site at the top though.

Very easy hike, the trail is very poorly marked with paint, I think I found 1 or 2 trees with any marking at all. But otherwise the views from the top are amazing and its a very unique fire tower at the top that is very cool to say the least.