Potash Mountain

Potash Mountain is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Conway, New Hampshire. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The brook crossing was moderately difficult on a humid, October day. It’s easy-moderate for the first half of the hike, then there is a steep, eroded section leading to the first overlook. From then on, it’s pretty steep and rocky, I would certainly not rate it as “easy.” When we went, it was too foggy to see anything from the summit, but I hear that there are great views north on a clear day. Luckily, we had some decent views lower down on the mountain, and the foliage was great.

lost from list added it back.

I Snowshoed 3/4 the way then went to boots & crampons. Some areas only had 2 in. of lite snow ,other areas where well packed on the trail. First water crossing was very hazardous . High water ice , 30 ft. across. It was a little dicey!!! Great day 28* F cloudy .

Great short hike to take up a few hours. It’s a steady (easy) incline for the first mile and a half. The last half mile is steep and I would rate it as moderate. Most people before us used snowshoes, but the trail was hard and just light traction was needed. Snow falling made views non existent. Definitely going to do this one again!

Fairly easy hike. Aside from last half mile (where you’re almost climbing straight up granite slabs) it’s a good steady incline. Hiked it yesterday and had to navigate through some icy spots, so just watch for black ice as you’re approaching the last mile!

Great choice for a 1/2 day out. Very good bang for the effort views. Views of Church Pond across the Kanc and all the way to Mount Washington if you go around to the north side of summit...just choose your footing carefully so as to not harm the plant growth. The trail started as a nice stroll through the autumn colored forest before crossing the river. It gently steepened but not unreasonably so until the final approach to the summit. Good views of Hedgehog Mountain & the Tripyramids from an open ledge a short distance below the summit.

Great hike despite the fog. Last quarter of mile rather difficult due to big slabs of granite. Take the right hand split to summit for stairs and easier ascent/decent.

I guess I don’t understand the meaning of easy. This climb has steep scrambles. The view is gorgeous!

Good hike we enjoyed it. Not to easy not to hard? Just right and nice views.

Good hike we enjoyed it. Not to easy not to hard? Just right and nice views.

Great hike. Would call it moderate. Took us 2 hours up, 1.5 down, but we were moving slowly. Nice views. Swam in the river at the end!

Not my favorite trail. Some areas could have been marked better. Some steep and rocky sections towards the summit.

Nice hike; moderate/easy not easy. Good views, not 360 degrees but a good 180. Easy for dogs.

Nice hike with great view, took less than 3 hours

great hike

Loved this hike. Would rate it closer to moderate than easy. Crossing the river over the log was fun (made it!). The trails were roots and slabs of rock. (Would not recommend this in the rain)
Have fun keeping an eye out for The Pink Lady Slippers. .. The view was gorgeous. Storm clouds over the Mt peaks..spectacular.

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Was unable to cross the river today, water was too high and rocks were slick. Will try again soon.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Beautiful hike...great trail across a river bed...nice upward hike through the woods....vein fed path lovely, turned into a nice steep climb with a great clearing. Then on to the top. A nice climb not too hard really got you breathing . Nice sights.Well worth the short hike.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

This was a great trail to do on a sunny day. The trail shares the same entrance/parking as Mt Hedgehog and UNH trail. We only got a little hesitant at the first river crossing as we were talking too much . It's very easy and straight forward to follow trail. At 1.7 miles according to my GPS we came to a great overlook. The summit was fabulous for views a 360 degree photo opportunities. My wife and I loved this trail.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Did this trail with a friend for her first summit.

Starts moderately with a stream crossing. Then climbs gently for a while before a steeper incline to a nice view. After another incline there's some scrambling to the top.

This hike offers outstanding views for the relatively short mileage.

Definitely recommend this hike for all skill levels.

Monday, August 08, 2016

I hiked this with my 13y old son and friends. This was our first real climb and I would say it was enjoyable and perfect for our first mountain. Nice well marked trail. There is a fun river crossing early on. A little more than halfway up there is a rewarding lookout off one side off the mountain that inspires you to keep on hiking the top. We climbed the rest of the way to an even more spectacular view. Unobstructed mountain views in almost every direction from the top. Lots of flat rock up there to sit and take it all in. I'm looking forward to taking my younger kids up this one.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Did Mt Potash today with a friend who has done it before. I wouldn't say it was easy, maybe moderate. My GPS said we did 3.53 miles. That might be because if it loses signal in the forest, it doesn't log the distance. It rained hard this morning but fortunately cleared up as we pulled into the parking area. couple things to note: there's a boulder stream crossing towards the beginning and more importantly, if it's wet, the upper rock faces are very slippery!! Great hike though.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

nice

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Loved this hike! Good for a half day excursion.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Beautiful well marked trail. Fairly easy hike. Amazing views from the top.

Friday, May 13, 2016

Hedgehog loop

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Trail is in great shape, and the view spectacular.

Friday, August 22, 2014

I hiked this low peak in July 2014 and really enjoyed it. The crossing of Downes Brook in the beginning of the hike can be very intimidating and challenging in high water; I was forced to turn back because of this earlier that June. Be sure to take caution when crossing, using trekking poles for balancing along the often-slippery rocks. After Downes Brook, the trail is moderately steep, climbing through a gorgeous hemlock forest until reaching open ledges about 1.8 miles up. I counted 147 out-of-bloom Pink Lady's Slippers along the way up; I'll bet in spring this hike is even more fantastic with the splashes of pink and white along the trail. The open ledges toward the summit are a bit steep, climbing up at an incline until the true summit, with a spectacular panorama of the Swift River Valley, is achieved. Bondcliff, Mt. Bond and West Bond are easily visible ftom the top; so is nearby Mt. Hedgehog. This is a hike I would do again in a heartbeat.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

A nice easy climb to nice views of surrounding larger mountains. A good moderate snowshoe in the winter.