Plymouth Mountain Sutherland Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Plymouth, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great hike, getting to the parking lot feels like you’ve gone off the grid.
Steady incline, no switchbacks. Gorgeous views of the White Mountains from the lookout.
Not recommended after rainy weather as the trail was mushy at times several days after rain.
A very quiet trail, during our 2.5 hours we only saw 3 other parties and it was a gorgeous September Saturday

fun trail a moderate hike the view at pikes view worth the hike

It’s one of my personal favorites but probably because it’s a regular for me. I prefer snowshoeing up it as the view at the summit is not clear without trees if you are not 6 feet tall or taller during the spring/summer, but Pikes Peak has a gorgeous view on one side. It’s a great training mountain for working on longer steep mountains as it has a continuous and moderately steep incline almost the whole way.

Good trail for practice. Went on rainy day, so couldn't see the views, the rocks on top were slippery so that was fun, all in all still a pleasant walk.

What I hiked was beautiful. Just as I crossed a wide-open path by the trail markers, I saw a bear ahead. I was only .4 miles into the trail, but thought it best to leave the rest of the hike to the bear. Next time, if I have a hiking companion and/or some pepper spray I would be more confident to carry-on. It was about 815 in the morning when I saw the bear. It was just moving through the forest, ambling up some rocks.I sang my way back to the trailhead so as not to be mistaken for pray, if its meanderings took it back in my direction.

Great hike- quiet and clean with a great view from the top! The view is a little past the summit. The bugs weren’t bad here too.

WHAT A FUN HIKE!
Hiked 6/25, also a beautifully cool and sunny day. The trail is generally well-marked, though there were 2 or 3 places on the way up where you had to look around for markers. There are also a handful of false trails that can take you off path if not careful, so keep you head up and enjoy the view. Also, at the summit, make sure to follow the markers (there were a number of cairns) all the way to the finish.

The view from the top was almost 360. Someone mentioned views of Newfound but I think that was actually Squam as the view is generally to the north and east. Another mentioned a river but in June it was just a brook you follow for maybe the first 1/2 mile or so.

We found this to be a very enjoyable trip up and back. The trail is in nice condition and yes, there are some boulders on the peak but if you made it to the top, you're probably in condition to get across them if you're careful.

Last point, the off-limits sign was still there near the peak where the trail splits (a yellow rectangle and a double yellow) but I don't think it was for a third, alternate trail to the top, We took the single yellow up and came back down the double and there were no off limits signs. The double yellow has a slightly better view too.

We hiked this trail 6/23. It was a perfect hiking day; overcast with spurts of sun and temps in the high 60s. We were the only people on the trail in the 4 hours we spent hiking it.
The trail is appropriately rated as moderate. It is definitely steep in alternating areas.
Well marked.
Big boulders to hike at the end.
There are a few false summit areas- the actual summit has a marker. Great forested hike for the majority.
I'd highly recommend bug spray; mosquitos were swarming the second we got out of the car.
Make sure to make yourself known as well; plenty of signs of bears and/or moose on the trail.

This was a good moderate hike. The trail is decent. There are a few steeper sections but not to extensive and you do get some breaks of flat before more steep. It really levels off approaching the summit. The boulders near the summit were interesting to navigate. We saw lots of signs that moose were frequenting the area (probably in the winter). The viewpoint beyond the summit of Newfound Lake is definitely worth the extra steps and a great place to stop for lunch. BRING BUG SPRAY - the mosquitoes weren't bad mid-afternoon but completely swarmed us at the end of the hike.

Decent Trail. moderate to difficult. very relaxing hike and the views of the top of beautiful. Trail markings are great easy to follow

Nice hike any time of year. If you follow your nose the cliff trail from the summit leads to nice views. No blazes so follow the path. The overlook for Newfound has been posted "No Trespassing". Not sure if a new landowner or hikers trashing it so it was shut off. I hope the first and someone can get them to open the ledges again.

Difficult footing made it seem more difficult than the numbers suggest. It was also relatively hot and humid, as it was July when we did it. We turned around at Pike’s Peak, which is an overlook 1.8 miles up. I have read that the trail is obscure and even more rough from there to the summit. There were nice views at the vista, though.

Wonderful winter hike. Parking area has room for at least 10 cars and additional parking is possible along Old Hebron Road. Took me 2 hrs to get up (in the snow) and one hour down. Consistent moderate grade to the summit.

Monday, October 16, 2017

this is 5 miles round trip out and back not 4.1

Friday, September 22, 2017

A nice trail through the forest near Plymouth township. Not many views along the way, but at the very top you can see a long way out in about 200 degrees arc. And, a lookout point b4 the top gives a fantastic view overlooking Plymouth and northerly. Enough vertical to make it feel like a real good workout.

Friday, August 25, 2017

Perfect moderate hike. Pike's Peak is a satisfactory summit. Bugs weren't bad, view is gorgeous, lots of good incline and beautiful forest. Took a long rest at the top, but the actual hike took around 4 hours.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Nice trail, a little strenuous of a climb up. Take time to explore the top and follow all the yellow and blue markers for multiple great view points.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Great trail for cardio. It's a steady uphill climb all the way to the top. A black bear crossed the trail only 20 feet from the trail head at 11am when we started our hike. Amazing view at the top too.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Great trail. Mostly for hiking. I tried it for running but it was not easy

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Great hike, a little rough in spots but the main trail was packed nice and provides a easy and well marked route. Recommend using your spikes. Good tree cover provides protection from any high winds. Enjoy!

Monday, December 26, 2016

A wonderful, well marked trail. Definitely dog-friendly. Children under 13 not recommended as the hike can be a bit much for younger hikers. Great view and not terrible after fresh snow.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

great trail! Took the dogs and they did just fine. Great views from the top and it's well marked!

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Excellent views of Newfound Lake - be sure to follow the path (marked by sign) slightly past the summit of Plymouth Mtn. to see some of the best views of Newfound Lake and surrounding area. Hike was fine for dogs except for a few spots towards the end where the pooch needed a boost.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Awesome View at Pikes Peak!!!!

Thursday, February 07, 2013

4 *'s= great day out; for a moderate to somewhat challenging WINTER hike (would be easier with no cold/snow)

My friend and I hiked this 2hr 15 min-from-Boston destination on a nice January day. Temps were hovering around freezing with partly cloudly skies. Trail is about 3 miles total and takes 3-4 hours in the winter, so arrive by noon or 1pm at the latest if you want daylight.

This is a good trail to have your GPS with you, or mapping/compass skills. I would say that Microspikes (beefy yaktrax) are essential in snow here and I recommend a pole or two for balance. Bring a thermos of hot liquid for each person. Bring headlamps since winter hiking is under shortened days (4pm darkness?)

Follow your instructions to get to Lake Newfound then take Pike Hill Rd (not maintained in winter) in about 1 mile until you come to a sign telling you that only abutters should continue during the winter months. We parked our (4wd) here, as it gets steeper and more sketchy beyond. Walk past the sign until you come to the end of the road which curves up and right and features a PRIVATE sign. Just before the private sign there was a snowmobile track and path on the right (that looked a lot like someone's property and had a land for sale sign). Start up this snowmobile/path. When you come to a cleared area the snowmobile path goes on straight, but you turn right at a big tree with a wolf sign on it (and a painted "TRAIL" sign pointing right).

You will come to a brook under the snow after about 1/8 mile (watch out, crossing a brook under several inches of snow is a winter skill!)

Continue on, watching for wolf signs and checking your mapping gear.

After an hour or two you will come to the false summit first (no view). Go at about 45deg (NE) on the path that after another 5 or so min you get to the actual summit (there's a sign, but not much view). Go NE again for a short way which brings to to a ridge where there are beautiful views of the Presidentials to the NE and Mt Washington of course.

The whole thing took us about 4 hours. We saw very fresh bear tracks in the populated area near where we parked the car but no bears on our trail. We were extra loud while hiking that day.

Photos attached in the link