Piper Mountain Trail

Piper Mountain Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Gilford, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Nice trail

The rating should be moderate. While not difficult it does offer some challenges, especially for children I'd imagine.
My best friend and I hiked the Piper Mountain trail (red blaze) to the summit. Neither of us had been hiking in years and I hadn't been to a summit in almost 15. With that said, it was an amazing experience and a perfect re-entry into mountain climbing.
We started at 2:30 and hit the summit at 3:49. That includes a 10 minute stop and a few small breaks to retrieve items from my pack.
The summit offers beautiful views and includes two stone thrones.
With a few nice spots to take a break or just get some nice pictures along the way it's a great hike overall.
We left our walking sticks at the trailhead too.

Also thanks for the smiley face in the mud. Whoever you are. :)

This trail is easy but towards the edge of moderate. There are many options on how you could approach this trail as many other trails meet up at some points.

Great time on this easy hike today! You see some terrific views with very little mileage. ***We didn't actually take the RED trail. *** Instead, we took the Belknap Mountain White Trail to the Old Piper Trail to the North peak of Piper. Then continued on the Vista Trail to the South peak of Piper. The trail we started on is near the other Carriage Rd parking lot and we missed the white stake for the trail but thankfully another super nice hiker helped us out. Clue: Its right near a yellow narrow bridge sign. :)

Great short hike. I agree w/ others that the rating is misleading. I'd put it in the low moderate rating.

As many others have said, giving this trail an easy rating is misleading. Steep all the way up. Often on ledge. Without the app. we never would have been able to figure out where to find the orange trail down. We wanted to avoid taking red trail that we had come up since it was steep and the ledge was sometimes wet. The orange trail lead to a gravel and then tar road down to the parking lot but it was quiet and the surrounding woods were beautiful. We were concerned about how challenging and time consuming the unknown hike down might be but it went quickly and was much easier than the hike up. I thought there were plenty of panoramic views. Loved the mixture of forest hiking and open summit.

It was a good exercise. The view is ok. I finished the loop following red marks up, orange marks from the top and white marks leading to a paved road (about 1 mi) back to parking.

The red trail is really nice and rather easy to find from the parking area. I definitely recommend, after getting to the summit, that you keep going along the green trail about 10 minutes (towards whiteface). When the trees part and there's a clear drop marking the edge of Piper Mountain, the view is really wonderful.

Piper Mountain trail from the carriage road parking are is a great, steep and quick ascent. I wouldn't recommend taking the carriage road down. Hard on legs and not pretty to descend on asphalt. Best to go back the same way (Piper Mt trail). Views are not spectacular but it's a great workout.

So much fun. My 8 y/o son and I hiked it today and had a great time. trails well marked and met several nice folks at the top.Thank you for this app

NOT an easy hike. I would rate as moderate. I consider easy to be a combo of flat, then incline, flat, incline, etc. This trail went straight up for the 1st mile. NOT easy for someone with a bad knee and lungs. I wish I had been warned as I would have worn a stronger knee brace . The only plus was it was only me and the dog so the dog could be off leash.

Easy, Large summit, Not much view at summit but some view points on the way up.

Views were awesome due to the lack of leaves. Snow was well packed along the trail. Easy to follow markers. Could use more parking as 3 mountains use the same starting point

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Great hike during blueberry season. Views were not what I had hoped for but not bad considering there are taller mountains surrounding it. Peeks of the lake through the gaps.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

I hike this trail at least once per month, probably more! Close to home, great views, nice access to continue on it I have more time. Great in all seasons and at all times of the day!

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Great morning hike with dog an wife

Saturday, August 27, 2016

A little harder than expected but do-able.

Monday, August 15, 2016

I agree with the last reviewer...this trail is very uphill on the way up the summit then obviously down hill if you take the same red marker trail back down. The summit is beautiful but yes I would classify this as hard.

Monday, June 27, 2016

This is a fantastic trail, but classifying it as 'Easy' is a bit misleading. I consider myself to be in great shape, and my friend has done more hikes than me, but we both had to stop a few times to catch our breath! Granted, it was about 90 degrees outside, but the incline is very steep pretty much the entire way up. I've done Mount Major a few times and felt that this trail was a bit more challenging; however, we didn't encounter anybody else on the trail that day, so it was very peaceful. The summit is super cool and the views at the top are spectacular. I would give this trail five stars, but it was very buggy at the summit and frankly that was a bit of a distraction. Would still do it again, though! Perhaps in the fall.