Piper Mountain Trail

Piper Mountain Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Gilford, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1 hour ago

typical Bellknap range hike, easy to moderate effort for great views.

I love to do hikes alone but sometimes get a little nervous when it is not marked well. No problems with that on this trail, very well marked! Bring some empty containers in case you time it right with the wild blueberries. Still some small ones at the top but definitely at the end of their season.

Find little hike with the family and pet friendly

Great trail! Lovely creek, pretty vistas, well marked! But I would argue with the easy rating! Steep climbs both up and down.

Great hike. Challenging a bit for us 'old folks' but it's about the journey! Not a fan of the last part being a paved road (that hurt the most). Black flies were relentless but to be expected. A great day overall!

Great. I'd definitely do it again. nice hike.

Recent trail work is nice.

nice hike

Forget the loop aspect. If you start from the more southern trail (I believe it was the red trail maybe brown. Who knows I'm colorblind) the way up will be a traditional trail I would rate at moderate in Winter conditions. Micro spikes or crampons will be necessary. The second half of the loop back follows the white and orange trails. Problem is the last mile back is a road. I'm not a fan of hiking roads.

Either way the peak had good for the elevation views but they are not 360 degrees. Lots of area on the peak to hang out.

I hiked this with my 10 year old who faired well even in snow and ice. Not sure if I would come back in the summer.

Was planning to do Belknap going up the white trail but it was closed down. Too dangerous in the winter I’m sure. Kept going up to Piper instead and went down red to make it a loop. Even with spikes the red trail can get very slippery near the summit. Otherwise a gorgeous day and a great hike!

Great hike made it up fine with just spikes, pup didn’t have a problem either. Really nice views at the top!!

hiked January 14. limited snow cover. trail was well travelled. micro spikes were perfect. good view from the summit. fun Stone throne on top. nice easy hike no steeps but ledges were slippery

Did this April of 2017 with some decent snow on the ground. Got pretty slick on the way down.

Nice trail

The rating should be moderate. While not difficult it does offer some challenges, especially for children I'd imagine.
My best friend and I hiked the Piper Mountain trail (red blaze) to the summit. Neither of us had been hiking in years and I hadn't been to a summit in almost 15. With that said, it was an amazing experience and a perfect re-entry into mountain climbing.
We started at 2:30 and hit the summit at 3:49. That includes a 10 minute stop and a few small breaks to retrieve items from my pack.
The summit offers beautiful views and includes two stone thrones.
With a few nice spots to take a break or just get some nice pictures along the way it's a great hike overall.
We left our walking sticks at the trailhead too.

Also thanks for the smiley face in the mud. Whoever you are. :)

This trail is easy but towards the edge of moderate. There are many options on how you could approach this trail as many other trails meet up at some points.

Great time on this easy hike today! You see some terrific views with very little mileage. ***We didn't actually take the RED trail. *** Instead, we took the Belknap Mountain White Trail to the Old Piper Trail to the North peak of Piper. Then continued on the Vista Trail to the South peak of Piper. The trail we started on is near the other Carriage Rd parking lot and we missed the white stake for the trail but thankfully another super nice hiker helped us out. Clue: Its right near a yellow narrow bridge sign. :)

Great short hike. I agree w/ others that the rating is misleading. I'd put it in the low moderate rating.

As many others have said, giving this trail an easy rating is misleading. Steep all the way up. Often on ledge. Without the app. we never would have been able to figure out where to find the orange trail down. We wanted to avoid taking red trail that we had come up since it was steep and the ledge was sometimes wet. The orange trail lead to a gravel and then tar road down to the parking lot but it was quiet and the surrounding woods were beautiful. We were concerned about how challenging and time consuming the unknown hike down might be but it went quickly and was much easier than the hike up. I thought there were plenty of panoramic views. Loved the mixture of forest hiking and open summit.

It was a good exercise. The view is ok. I finished the loop following red marks up, orange marks from the top and white marks leading to a paved road (about 1 mi) back to parking.

The red trail is really nice and rather easy to find from the parking area. I definitely recommend, after getting to the summit, that you keep going along the green trail about 10 minutes (towards whiteface). When the trees part and there's a clear drop marking the edge of Piper Mountain, the view is really wonderful.

Piper Mountain trail from the carriage road parking are is a great, steep and quick ascent. I wouldn't recommend taking the carriage road down. Hard on legs and not pretty to descend on asphalt. Best to go back the same way (Piper Mt trail). Views are not spectacular but it's a great workout.

So much fun. My 8 y/o son and I hiked it today and had a great time. trails well marked and met several nice folks at the top.Thank you for this app

Monday, July 03, 2017

NOT an easy hike. I would rate as moderate. I consider easy to be a combo of flat, then incline, flat, incline, etc. This trail went straight up for the 1st mile. NOT easy for someone with a bad knee and lungs. I wish I had been warned as I would have worn a stronger knee brace . The only plus was it was only me and the dog so the dog could be off leash.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Easy, Large summit, Not much view at summit but some view points on the way up.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Views were awesome due to the lack of leaves. Snow was well packed along the trail. Easy to follow markers. Could use more parking as 3 mountains use the same starting point

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Great hike during blueberry season. Views were not what I had hoped for but not bad considering there are taller mountains surrounding it. Peeks of the lake through the gaps.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

I hike this trail at least once per month, probably more! Close to home, great views, nice access to continue on it I have more time. Great in all seasons and at all times of the day!

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Great morning hike with dog an wife