Piper Hammond Loop Trail

Piper Hammond Loop Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Conway, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Fantastic view of peaked summit and surrounding mountains The Piper trail is wide and very easy at the start. It is well traveled and well maintained. In the fall you will have excellent and exciting views of the summit and of the Carter ledge on your right. You need crampons in the winter. It can be very windy at the top. You have great views of the White Mountains including Mount Washington. The Weetamoo rock trail can be a bit of a slog on the way down but there is a huge boulder to look at - hence the name. There are several streams on the Piper trail where you can replenish your water supply if you have a filter.

I did most of the Hammond side of the trail (Piper-Weetamoo-Hammond-Liberty) Friday night and Saturday morning, to test some new cold weather gear at Jim Liberty Cabin. It was pitch dark by the time I got to Piper trailhead, but the trail was no problem by headlamp. Hammond and Liberty were starting to get icy in spots, so definitely bring Hillsound or Kahtoola spikes along. In the dead of winter real crampons may be better above the treeline.
I got to Liberty Cabin around 8pm, after about a 3 hour hike up. It was comfy enough considering the outside temp was maybe 15F with 30+mph wind, but there are 2 windows with broken panes that I didn’t notice at first. After I closed the inside shutters the temp inside didn’t go up, but it didn’t drop much further either. It sure would have been nice if the chimney had a little fireplace!
My original plan was to summit before dawn to get pics of the sunrise, but the sleeping bag was so warm there was no way I was getting out of it at 5am to face the cold and wind! Heading back down in the morning there was more ice on the trails, but secure footing on either side in most cases. Before leaving enjoy the view of the summit above the cabin, it’s very picturesque on a clear day. Being the first time I’ve traveled Weetamoo Trail during daylight I was absolutely dumbstruck at the size of Weetamoo Rock - it almost looks like a mountain all its own! Less than a mile along Weetamoo the trail became smoother and stayed that way all the way to Piper and the trailhead. You’ll hear the Chocorua River in the draw below you for quite some time before coming to it. There’s a huge jumble of rocks and downed tree trunks where the trail crosses the river, and once you cross it (very easy for klutzy me even in the dark with a 35lb pack) you’re almost home.
Mt Chocorua is just an awesome hike no matter how many times you’ve done it. You get views to rival those from the Presidentials without the strenuous climbs, but you still have to work for it. It’s kind of my go-to mountain for longer weekend day hikes.

8.2 miles in seven hours and 45 minutes.
8 50-somethings enjoying a sunny November day
Awesome view. Don't plan on starting after 10 AM.
Spent the last 1.5 hrs in the dark.
Minimal blazing on the trail. Hard to find our trail in the dark.

Not a single negative about this mountain! I’ve hiked Chocorua twice this year, this loop this past Sunday and Champney Brook Trail in March, the first times since maybe 1984-85. Being older and fatter it was obviously more strenuous, but not too difficult. The worst part was the very summit, it’s rocky and exposed with some pretty steep drop offs, and I don’t like heights!

The day started off cloudy and slowly cleared up, at the last overlook the summit still had wisps of clouds on it but by the time I hit the tree line it was bright and sunny up there. A little time on the summit to take pics and get a Clif bar in my stomach, then down I went. The Liberty Cabin was a good place to stop for pics of it under the summit, and if I’d had any real food I would have cooked it there. Due to my late start I did most of the Weetamoo Trail by headlamp, it’s little more than a footpath compared to the highway that’s Piper. I reached the trailhead at 1930 after about 7.5 hours on the mountain, but I was hiking for enjoyment and took a lot of pics. I also had to attend to a couple blisters along the way.

My only negative is a pretty minor one, and it’s that the trails aren’t blazed very well. The marks that are there are pretty high on the trees in many cases, so you have to tilt your head back to see them by headlamp. Trails that see less use, like Weetamoo, are easy enough to follow now but when they’re covered with fallen leaves in a couple weeks good blazes would be very handy.

All in all a great hike, and I’m glad I didn’t turn around and go home while driving there like I so badly wanted to do. I’ll be doing it again by another trail before too long!

Great hike! Fantastic views! A nice challenge. Starts out moderate and then ascends quickly to the rock face. Took us 4.5 hours total with a few stops. Bring snacks and lots of water.

Went up piper, easy start through the woods (there is an immediate fork at the start--stay right) moderately difficult ascent to first look out then steep climbing to the top. A coupe more lookouts and a false peak. Took about an hour 45 to get to the top (9:30-11:15) but we kept a pretty good pace passing larger groups. It was pretty busy on the way up on Saturday of Columbus day weekend but saw a lot less people in the way down.
After about a 30/45 minute lunch on the peak we began our descent down hammond, relatively steep until you get back below the tree line. Very enjoyable jont down with a couple points with 5ish foot drops.
Lastly cross over onto weemato trail which is a smooth casual coast to the end until you link back up with piper for the final half mile. Total time down was about another hour and 45 minutes (12:00-1:30) with a pretty solid pace and minimal stopping.
All and all the hike took us just about 4 hours (9:30-1:30) but we kept a good pace the whole time and really only stopped for lunch.
Overall this hike is the best bang for your buck. Amazing lookouts on the way up and a pretty epic 360 view at the top. Great for leaf peeping. It's certainly no walk in the park but won't kill you either.

Mount Chocorua is one of the most beautiful spots in NH. Piper Trail is an enjoyable trek with the final third being above tree line. I did it twice this year and will again because it's just that enjoyable of an experience.

Hubby and I went last week... about a quarter mile in we saw a black bear!!! Soooo cool, great hike!! Beautiful and serene ❤️

Great hike yesterday. A lot of steep stone steps up Piper trail but there is firm footing. Towards the top of the summit there are big flat steep rocks to climb up on all 4s but is still very doable. The rocky path close to the summit is harder to track but with lots of other hikers, you can find your way at least in the general direction of the summit. Lots of blueberry bushes on the trail but we just missed the blueberry season so only few small dried up berries left. Still delicious. Absolutely gorgeous 360 view on top of summit. We hiked down Hammond trail with a more gradual decline. Another reviewer mentioned crossing the river with no bridges up to calf high. But there is actually a pile of boulders and logs the allow you to easily walk across. Much quieter on Hammond trial than Piper. Took us (average hikers) 3 hrs up and 2 hrs down at a comfortable pace. Will definitely do this hike again.

This is a great hike and the views are phenomenal. Wearing good hiking shoes is a must and it's very rigorous. You'll rarely see other people on the trails, but there will be a ton of folks on the summit. It's wide open at the summit and truly does offer 360 views. My only complaint is that the ascent to the top of Chocorua via the Piper Trail is not well marked. It's hard to tell the best way to climb the rocks to get to the top.