Piper Hammond Loop Trail is a 8.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Conway, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,847 feet Route Type: Loop

Fantastic view of peaked summit and surrounding mountains The Piper trail is wide and very easy at the start. It is well traveled and well maintained. In the fall you will have excellent and exciting views of the summit and of the Carter ledge on your right. You need crampons in the winter. It can be very windy at the top. You have great views of the White Mountains including Mount Washington. The Weetamoo rock trail can be a bit of a slog on the way down but there is a huge boulder to look at - hence the name. There are several streams on the Piper trail where you can replenish your water supply if you have a filter.

Beautiful day! A bit of a scramble to the top but overall great hike! Some mosquitos out towards the end.

fee

icy

Beautiful hike, I recommend going up Weetamoo, Hammond and back down piper. spectacular view near and at the summit

Great hike. Would recommend just going up and down piper rather than the loop on the app.

A little rough for a dog. We had to lift ours a few times. But a great hike with beautiful views!

Great hike!

Not much bugs on this trail. The beginning is relatively easy and wide. The summit is spectacular, something very unique about the way its shaped and is definitely worth seeing, however I did not enjoy the Hammond-Weetamoo trail back, parts of hammond were slightly overgrown and there were no views on the way back. Also felt like we were going up and down a lot. Most people we had met on the trail were going out and back on piper trail.

Sun May 26 2019

beautiful view at the top! some parts are climbing up rocks, literally. definitely rated correctly...this is NOT for a newbie or inexperienced hiker. will definitely be visiting again

Mon May 13 2019

You are able to bring dogs on this trail but I would think twice about doing it with a dog again especially if getting to the summit is a priority . coming from the piper trail was smooth sailing with my dog most of the way up it gets steep closer to the summit and there’s a little scrambling involved but my dog is well adjusted to hiking and was having an easier time than I was but the last30’ (approx) up to the summit you pretty much would have to boulder up and I was not prepared or willing to risk doing that with my dog. I think if you could put your dog in a backpack or something it would be possible but that’s your call. Luckily you can walk around the summit towards the Hammond trail and get down that way I had to help my dog down in some especially steep parts but otherwise it quickly goes back to being a trail suitable for dogs. My fitness tracker said I walked 10 miles instead of 8 so going behind the summit added a couple miles to our hike the Hammond trail was much muddier in parts than the piker trail was. It was a beautiful hike but think twice about doing it with your pup

Sat May 11 2019

Didn’t do the full loop. Used Piper Trail for an out-and-back hike. Super exposed 360 view from the top. Requires some scrambling. The trail was mostly dry- a few spots of mud in the first 1/4 mile and some melting monorail in 1/4 mile stretch towards the top (no traction needed). No bugs yet. Overall, it was a great hike for a beautiful weather day. Even with the great weather, it was windy at the top. Be sure to bring a wind shirt or jacket.

Sun Oct 14 2018

This is a wonderful trail! Up Piper, down Hammond and Weetamoo in 6h (with a nice break at the top.) 360-degree views with fading blazes once above tree line (but a few well-placed cairns helped us navigate, plus this app.) No real scrambling per se, but the open rock when wet requires some caution. Saw our first ice of the season today, and snow on the distant summit of Mount Washington!

Tue Oct 09 2018

our family of 5 started at 10am this past saturday and ended just after 4. what a great hike. though the summit was in the clouds and chilly, the hike up had great views and though challenging in spots, everyone had a great time . mt. chocura may not be one of the higher peaks, but it certainly stands up to them for its long. range views and variety of terrain/conditions. can't wait to go again

Tue Aug 28 2018

Cv eeweedddddddddrddsdfrrrrr

Mon Aug 20 2018

great hike , Met some really people shelter and cabin worth the visit

Fri Aug 03 2018

love this app. it keeps you on the trails.

Sun Jul 15 2018

One of my favs!

Mon May 28 2018

Awesome hike!

Tue May 22 2018

Great trail, easy to follow, challenging, not crippling, rewarding. Took piper to Hammond to wematoo, took 6 hours

Sun Nov 12 2017

I did most of the Hammond side of the trail (Piper-Weetamoo-Hammond-Liberty) Friday night and Saturday morning, to test some new cold weather gear at Jim Liberty Cabin. It was pitch dark by the time I got to Piper trailhead, but the trail was no problem by headlamp. Hammond and Liberty were starting to get icy in spots, so definitely bring Hillsound or Kahtoola spikes along. In the dead of winter real crampons may be better above the treeline. I got to Liberty Cabin around 8pm, after about a 3 hour hike up. It was comfy enough considering the outside temp was maybe 15F with 30+mph wind, but there are 2 windows with broken panes that I didn’t notice at first. After I closed the inside shutters the temp inside didn’t go up, but it didn’t drop much further either. It sure would have been nice if the chimney had a little fireplace! My original plan was to summit before dawn to get pics of the sunrise, but the sleeping bag was so warm there was no way I was getting out of it at 5am to face the cold and wind! Heading back down in the morning there was more ice on the trails, but secure footing on either side in most cases. Before leaving enjoy the view of the summit above the cabin, it’s very picturesque on a clear day. Being the first time I’ve traveled Weetamoo Trail during daylight I was absolutely dumbstruck at the size of Weetamoo Rock - it almost looks like a mountain all its own! Less than a mile along Weetamoo the trail became smoother and stayed that way all the way to Piper and the trailhead. You’ll hear the Chocorua River in the draw below you for quite some time before coming to it. There’s a huge jumble of rocks and downed tree trunks where the trail crosses the river, and once you cross it (very easy for klutzy me even in the dark with a 35lb pack) you’re almost home. Mt Chocorua is just an awesome hike no matter how many times you’ve done it. You get views to rival those from the Presidentials without the strenuous climbs, but you still have to work for it. It’s kind of my go-to mountain for longer weekend day hikes.

Sun Nov 05 2017

8.2 miles in seven hours and 45 minutes. 8 50-somethings enjoying a sunny November day Awesome view. Don't plan on starting after 10 AM. Spent the last 1.5 hrs in the dark. Minimal blazing on the trail. Hard to find our trail in the dark.

Wed Oct 18 2017

Not a single negative about this mountain! I’ve hiked Chocorua twice this year, this loop this past Sunday and Champney Brook Trail in March, the first times since maybe 1984-85. Being older and fatter it was obviously more strenuous, but not too difficult. The worst part was the very summit, it’s rocky and exposed with some pretty steep drop offs, and I don’t like heights! The day started off cloudy and slowly cleared up, at the last overlook the summit still had wisps of clouds on it but by the time I hit the tree line it was bright and sunny up there. A little time on the summit to take pics and get a Clif bar in my stomach, then down I went. The Liberty Cabin was a good place to stop for pics of it under the summit, and if I’d had any real food I would have cooked it there. Due to my late start I did most of the Weetamoo Trail by headlamp, it’s little more than a footpath compared to the highway that’s Piper. I reached the trailhead at 1930 after about 7.5 hours on the mountain, but I was hiking for enjoyment and took a lot of pics. I also had to attend to a couple blisters along the way. My only negative is a pretty minor one, and it’s that the trails aren’t blazed very well. The marks that are there are pretty high on the trees in many cases, so you have to tilt your head back to see them by headlamp. Trails that see less use, like Weetamoo, are easy enough to follow now but when they’re covered with fallen leaves in a couple weeks good blazes would be very handy. All in all a great hike, and I’m glad I didn’t turn around and go home while driving there like I so badly wanted to do. I’ll be doing it again by another trail before too long!