Percival/Morgan Loop Trail

Percival/Morgan Loop Trail is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Center Sandwich, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

My family had a great time on this hike. On our way through the cave section of Percival, we retrieved about twenty water bottles of varying types from one crevice. Apparently people are either accidentally or purposely dropping bottles just outside the cave proper. Please keep a good grip on your bottles.

Really crowded, but overall a good time!

SUPER fun hike. the loop is more like 5.5 miles, as you have to take a connector trail (Morse trail) at the bottom to get back to the mt Morgan parking lot. the ladders and caves offered some really fun technical climbing. nothing outrageous, however, and there were bypasses for all obstacles

An excellent trail that has much to offer especially the views at the summit of Mount Percival. These is a cave close to the summit of Mount Percival which is sure to please young children. You got to take off your backpack and get body position just right to squeeze through. The scenic views on top of Mount Percival is the best that I've seen and I've seen many a trails in my hiking career. We were even treated to a bear sighting in the clearing. I really regretted not packing my zoom lens on my camera along with me. The views of the Squam Lakes region and various other peaks from the summit of Mount Percival is absolutely breathtaking so you definitely want to bring your binocular or zoom lens for your camera.

The ladder down Mount Morgan is challenging as well going down especially for young children and inexperienced hiker. If you got either of those it is better to do the trail clockwise. There is a narrow opening to squeeze through on the Mount Morgan side as well.

Overall this is one of the best trail that I've been on for relatively moderate effort. I will definitely want to return to this trail before the end of the year.

Views from the tops of Morgan and Percival were gorgeous. The trail up and down to the summits was a well marked forest trail, and everything is a moderate hike with one notable exception-- the last bit to the summit of Percival. We did the loop clockwise so we did this section going down. At the top of Percival you'll see two blazed options-- one that goes down to the right over the open rock face and one to the left through the trees. The options aren't marked if you're heading down (they are in the other direction). To the left is the cliff side (we didn't do this, so I'm not sure what this entails) and the other goes to the cave. The description here says it "features" a cave, however, feature here means that you scramble through a cave (not exactly a cave, but cave-like) with two very small openings on either side in order to follow the trail. The way down to the cave opening is steep and a bit technical. The openings on either side are small enough that you'll need to take your pack off to get through. The day we were there was incredibly hot so the time in the cave was a natural air-conditioning relief.

Lots of fun to run most of the way. Fun ladder and cave obstacles near the top.

I’ve hiked both mountains before separately but the loop is so much better! We went up Morgan through the ladders and came down Percival through the caves. Morgan is deceptively easy to climb, and fun at the top. The connector is a rocky ridge line between the summits but short enough to enjoy. More than once we had to take off our backpacks to get through the caves of Percival cliff face. Although descending this way is fun and challenging for experienced hikers, definitely not recommended for kids or dogs. Heading down the rockfall is tough and you have to keep your head up and stay on the trail, which is hard to follow on points down Percival. All in all, up Morgan and down Percival via the cliffs is probably the way to go. Amazing views as always on top.

Somewhat challenging but lots of fun with the steep cliffs, ladders, and tight caves to climb through. Awesome views from top too, especially on Percival.

This is by far my favorite hike!

A great trail, but be prepared for a challenge. Ascending either route up - via the Mt. Morgan Trail or Mt. Percival Trail - has challenging steeps near their respective summits. We chose to ascend Mt. Percival first, which ended up being the better route as the descent via Mt. Percival trail would’ve been much more difficult. “Caves” on Mt. Percival trail should be taken with care, and there are alternative routes up once you’re there but aren’t much easier.

Great payoff views and a nice challenging hike for intermediates, but not recommended for young kids or dogs.

Great trail. well marked great views.

For inexperienced hikers like me I’d recommend preparing a bit more before tackling this trail. We went up Morgan and down Percival, taking the ladders up, which was cool. I just don’t know if going down the caves was our best decision- it got a little dark and scary in those!

TRAIL WAS WELL MARKED AND MAINTAINED. GREAY VIEWS OF SQUAM LAKE. FELT LIKE A TRAIL MORE IN THE WILD THEN IT IS. THE RIDGE BETWEEN MT. TOPS IS A SHOULDER WIDE TRAIL THROUGH SPRUCE TREES ON ROCK. NICE SPRING WARM UP TRAIL.

Awesome one of my favorites

Ladders, caves, and views! Took a little longer than expected.

A really nice hike through the woods, with some cool features along the way (a literal ladder drilled into rock, and some bounder caves to climb through!). There were some scrambles, and I would say it is deserving of the moderate rating. It took us about ~3 hours to do roundtrip. However, we did get lost for a bit, as some turns are not clearly marked off.

This hike can still be done easily without spikes. Almost no ice and got lucky: morning sun was warm and wonderful. A bit of crunchy snow on top. Roundtrip (up Morgan, down Percival) took us under 3 hours.

Great hike. Lots of variety including caves, ladders, some steep sections, scrambling, etc. perfect day with my son, cousins, uncle and nephews.

Was unsure if we were on the right side of the road (Rattlesnake Mountain parking lot is across the street with the port-a-potty). Decided to go Mt Percival trail and loop around to Mt Morgan and back down (approx. 5 miles). Mt Percival trail gets very rocky towards the top; wouldn't recommend bringing kids, my dog had a hard time in spots. We ended up taking the Caves route, which lead us to the most beautiful view and right towards the trail leading to Mt Morgan.

Hiked 10/23 up Morgan, down Percival. 1st 2.4 miles wooded path rises gently with few short, steep spots. Steeper near top. Ladders/cave/scramble to Morgan peak a bit sketchy, but fun. Great Squam Lake views along Morgan Summit ridge and Percival summit. Descended Cliff trail to long, forested walk back to trailhead (parked @ empty Percival lot; least crowded of the 3 available)

A fairly easy hike. Very little climbing involved. I went up Morgan and down Percival trail. Shorter trip up that way, and the ladders are on the way up. Short walk along the road to return to the car. Great views of Squam lake, very few people on trail before 10 am. Enjoy!

it was an amazing hike! The top gets a bit sketchy but such a rush when you get to the top! I think the worst part about the experience was the acorns! I highly suggest this hike to anyone but prepare well. Weather and timing and having the proper tools are a must!

Percival is not a trail for young kids to go down. There are plenty of places for wobbly legs to give out and lead to a serious fall. I know some people say it’s great for kids, but I don’t see it. It would be fun and beautiful, though, if it had just been adults!

The caves side of Percival with kids slowed us to the point that we got caught in the darkness. We ended up briefly on some old trail that still had faded yellow dots on the rocks. Pay close attention at night; if you end up in a rockslide area, you are off the trail!

I like this trail ... just not with kids.

Nice 1/2 day hike with great views. Took about 4 hours going up Morgan hiking down Percival. It was cloudy / cool day and only saw one other person on the trail (end of September ) would recommend!

Perceval trail not as well marked on the way down. All of a sudden there was no trail, thankfully the gps feature of this app got me back on track but I probably lost 10min through a bunch of overgrowth.
Also, many recommend going up the Morgan Trail and going down Perceval, however what I didn't know is Perceval also has its own cliff face decent that is very steep and requires a lot of maneuvering. Luckily, there are alternative ways up to the peak of both mountains, therefore I would have gone to the left down Perceval to avoid the steepest decent had I known about it. I still recommend going up Morgan though if you want to climb the ladders.
Nevertheless, it was a great hike with beautiful views! Definitely for people in better shape/more adventurous because of the steep incline.

Great views of Squam and Winni. Was a bit slippery up top after heavy rains the day before.

It was a pleasant hike up. The ladders and caves along the Mason were fun for the kids. I took the dog around on the alternate loop which was short and rocky. We encountered a few scrambles which were challenging for the dog, but we were able to lift her up with her harness on. Climbs were steep at times but not technical. It was on the easy side of moderate. It took us 3 hrs to do both Mason and Percival. round trip.