Percival/Morgan Loop Trail

Percival/Morgan Loop Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Center Sandwich, New Hampshire that features a cave and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Was unsure if we were on the right side of the road (Rattlesnake Mountain parking lot is across the street with the port-a-potty). Decided to go Mt Percival trail and loop around to Mt Morgan and back down (approx. 5 miles). Mt Percival trail gets very rocky towards the top; wouldn't recommend bringing kids, my dog had a hard time in spots. We ended up taking the Caves route, which lead us to the most beautiful view and right towards the trail leading to Mt Morgan.

Hiked 10/23 up Morgan, down Percival. 1st 2.4 miles wooded path rises gently with few short, steep spots. Steeper near top. Ladders/cave/scramble to Morgan peak a bit sketchy, but fun. Great Squam Lake views along Morgan Summit ridge and Percival summit. Descended Cliff trail to long, forested walk back to trailhead (parked @ empty Percival lot; least crowded of the 3 available)

A fairly easy hike. Very little climbing involved. I went up Morgan and down Percival trail. Shorter trip up that way, and the ladders are on the way up. Short walk along the road to return to the car. Great views of Squam lake, very few people on trail before 10 am. Enjoy!

it was an amazing hike! The top gets a bit sketchy but such a rush when you get to the top! I think the worst part about the experience was the acorns! I highly suggest this hike to anyone but prepare well. Weather and timing and having the proper tools are a must!

Percival is not a trail for young kids to go down. There are plenty of places for wobbly legs to give out and lead to a serious fall. I know some people say it’s great for kids, but I don’t see it. It would be fun and beautiful, though, if it had just been adults!

The caves side of Percival with kids slowed us to the point that we got caught in the darkness. We ended up briefly on some old trail that still had faded yellow dots on the rocks. Pay close attention at night; if you end up in a rockslide area, you are off the trail!

I like this trail ... just not with kids.