Percival/Morgan Loop Trail

Percival/Morgan Loop Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Center Sandwich, New Hampshire that features a cave and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

A really nice hike through the woods, with some cool features along the way (a literal ladder drilled into rock, and some bounder caves to climb through!). There were some scrambles, and I would say it is deserving of the moderate rating. It took us about ~3 hours to do roundtrip. However, we did get lost for a bit, as some turns are not clearly marked off.

This hike can still be done easily without spikes. Almost no ice and got lucky: morning sun was warm and wonderful. A bit of crunchy snow on top. Roundtrip (up Morgan, down Percival) took us under 3 hours.

Great hike. Lots of variety including caves, ladders, some steep sections, scrambling, etc. perfect day with my son, cousins, uncle and nephews.

Was unsure if we were on the right side of the road (Rattlesnake Mountain parking lot is across the street with the port-a-potty). Decided to go Mt Percival trail and loop around to Mt Morgan and back down (approx. 5 miles). Mt Percival trail gets very rocky towards the top; wouldn't recommend bringing kids, my dog had a hard time in spots. We ended up taking the Caves route, which lead us to the most beautiful view and right towards the trail leading to Mt Morgan.

Hiked 10/23 up Morgan, down Percival. 1st 2.4 miles wooded path rises gently with few short, steep spots. Steeper near top. Ladders/cave/scramble to Morgan peak a bit sketchy, but fun. Great Squam Lake views along Morgan Summit ridge and Percival summit. Descended Cliff trail to long, forested walk back to trailhead (parked @ empty Percival lot; least crowded of the 3 available)

A fairly easy hike. Very little climbing involved. I went up Morgan and down Percival trail. Shorter trip up that way, and the ladders are on the way up. Short walk along the road to return to the car. Great views of Squam lake, very few people on trail before 10 am. Enjoy!

it was an amazing hike! The top gets a bit sketchy but such a rush when you get to the top! I think the worst part about the experience was the acorns! I highly suggest this hike to anyone but prepare well. Weather and timing and having the proper tools are a must!

Percival is not a trail for young kids to go down. There are plenty of places for wobbly legs to give out and lead to a serious fall. I know some people say it’s great for kids, but I don’t see it. It would be fun and beautiful, though, if it had just been adults!

The caves side of Percival with kids slowed us to the point that we got caught in the darkness. We ended up briefly on some old trail that still had faded yellow dots on the rocks. Pay close attention at night; if you end up in a rockslide area, you are off the trail!

I like this trail ... just not with kids.

Nice 1/2 day hike with great views. Took about 4 hours going up Morgan hiking down Percival. It was cloudy / cool day and only saw one other person on the trail (end of September ) would recommend!

Perceval trail not as well marked on the way down. All of a sudden there was no trail, thankfully the gps feature of this app got me back on track but I probably lost 10min through a bunch of overgrowth.
Also, many recommend going up the Morgan Trail and going down Perceval, however what I didn't know is Perceval also has its own cliff face decent that is very steep and requires a lot of maneuvering. Luckily, there are alternative ways up to the peak of both mountains, therefore I would have gone to the left down Perceval to avoid the steepest decent had I known about it. I still recommend going up Morgan though if you want to climb the ladders.
Nevertheless, it was a great hike with beautiful views! Definitely for people in better shape/more adventurous because of the steep incline.

Great views of Squam and Winni. Was a bit slippery up top after heavy rains the day before.

It was a pleasant hike up. The ladders and caves along the Mason were fun for the kids. I took the dog around on the alternate loop which was short and rocky. We encountered a few scrambles which were challenging for the dog, but we were able to lift her up with her harness on. Climbs were steep at times but not technical. It was on the easy side of moderate. It took us 3 hrs to do both Mason and Percival. round trip.

It was a nice forest walk with fresh air but some parts toward the top was quite steep and had to work hard. To the top you can go up a ladder and thru the cave then you come out to a beautiful view over Squam lake. Following the yellow marks, claiming over rocks will lead you to another marvelous view of the mountain top. Very satisfying after the hard work!

Start from Mt Morgan trail head if you find climbing up the ladders easier. Nice view of the lakes and the caves in Mt Percival are so much fun.

the caves were to die for....soo great

Awesome hike! Pretty steep towards the end. Would not recommend for dogs/senior citizens.

Its an alright hike. At the top was a decent view of the lakes. Nothing crazy. No good for backpacking i got caught up in the tight cave because of my bag. Dont recommend for round people because of ladder + tight crawl spaces (although these could probably be avoided via alternate path) Trails also arent obvious at times. Good luck

Adventurous trail with ladder up cliff face, cave to crawl through. Not recommended for backpacking, just for hiking as you have to remove your pack and there is a lot of bouldering and scrambling required. Very steep going up and down.

My first long and more difficult side of moderate trail (as a beginner). A great day trip with many fun challenges such as squeezing through tight caves and climbing over many rocks including some rock climbing. I took mount morgan up and went over the cliffs and took mount perival down. I would not recommend for children or dogs. Many nooks at the top to relax and sit awhile