Pemi Loop and Zealand, North Twin

Pemi Loop and Zealand, North Twin is a 35.4 mile loop trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Did the 32 mile loop clockwise in one day. Didn’t hit Zealand or North Twin. Started at 3 am and ended at 8:45 pm. Long, grueling, and hardest 1 day hike I’ve ever done. Did the 1 day presi a couple months before this and it was much easier. If you’re doing in one day prepare to carry a lot of food and water weight as you really only have one guaranteed spot to refill on the loop. If you go clockwise the Garfield ridge is hard but your toughest climb of the day will be to South Twin, straight up right after you’ve refilled your water and food at Galehead hut. I would love to do this again over a few days but wanted to get the 1 day Pemi and 1 day presi done in the same year. Follow me on Ig for pics and hiking updates @packandpeak

Unbelievable hike! We went clockwise and did the loop in 3 days. Later start a little before noon our first day, Camped at Liberty Springs Tentsite the first night. We stealth camped a little after Galehead Hut with permission from the Galehead hutmaster on our second night. We went back to Galehead hut in the morning to make breakfast and to get out of the rain for a bit. Spending a couple hours at Galehead hut resulted in a later start on our third day causing us to have to skip Zealand and north twin additional peaks in order to finish in the 3 days we had allotted. It may be possible to do the full pemi loop + Zealand, North Twin and West Bond in 3 very long days if you are in extremely good shape and don’t stop too much to take it in. I will do this again and take 4 days, 3 nights to do all peaks and have the time to enjoy them. This is a grueling 32.5 miles for the shortest loop, but it features the top 2 in my opinion best 360 degree ridge lines in the entire north east (Franconia and Bond ridge) As an avid hiker, I would recommend taking 4 full days to thoroughly experience what is probably the best multi day hike in New England. It can be done in 3, or less but it is an extreme challenge, in my opinion much more difficult than the Presidential Traverse. That being said, you will probably run into trail runners somehow doing it in a single day. Overall an absolute must do for anyone that wants to spend a few days surrounded by some of the most dramatic views in New England.

For a 50+ hiker, 4 days, 3 nights was perfect. Hammock camping made it even better! Liberty Spring, Garfield, and Guyot Tentsites all had good trees to hang from. At Guyot, we would of had to go an overflow spot had we not had hammocks. We set up right next to the shelter per the caretakers instructions on a steep slope. I had to "daisy chain" a couple of 4" trees with straps to get good support. On the trail there were great people with great stories and quite a few AT through hikers. Watching for the Pemi-Loop trail runners as they breezed by us on our third day with the realization they had come from the Lincoln Woods parking lot that morning was quite humbling.
The most challenging part of the trail was the Twinway which just goes up,up, up. Breaking out at the summit is a great emotional relief rewarded with a 360 degree view. Spectacular hike! I hope to do it again someday. Hi to Chuck and Jay from CT from the guy with a twisted ankle :-)

8-25-18. Great day to be out on this hike. Non stop views that took my breath away.

Sprained my ankle halfway and still had a phenomenal day.

Excellent views even in the rain. Difficult hike, but well worth it.