Osceola and East Osceola via Greely Pond Trail

Osceola and East Osceola via Greely Pond Trail is a 6.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 3,021 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Nice trail, well-maintained. Despite original forecasts, we had nice views on the way up and a great panorama up top Osceola. Some ice between the two peaks and snow-crusted trees.

I really enjoyed both peaks, and view wise Osceola is definitely superior but both are worth it. It’s a very popular trail especially in the fall so be prepared to run into a lot of people. The gain hits you hard so be prepared for that as well.

Not great views at East Osceola, but fantastic vista at the main peak! Man this is STEEP, super rocky and very root-y. The chimney is not so bad, definitely trickier going down than up.

Got an early start and a near empty parking lot. Unusual for this time of year. Headed up E Osceola from Greeley. Great weather till about 1/4 mile from summit where I was met with 20+mph winds and fog. Switched from t-shirt to hat and gloves and hit the summit. Rolled right through to the chimney and up to Osceola. Not hitting the second peak either way seems like a waste. Skies seemed to be clearing out on the way down and was able to get some decent views north.

I don’t think I was expecting such a steep elevation gain throughout the hike it made it difficult going up and down, I would say 2.45 was our time to the summit and 2.5 going down because we had to take it easy on the steep parts, I say that just so you are prepared for a hike! I loved this hike overall though and the views from the top top of the mountain are some of the best I have down, it has a cool steep drop off and makes for a worth while hike, I don’t think I would do this specific trail but I want to hike this mountain again!

Fun hike ... warm-up gentle approach ... then UP! Chimney looked daunting but very doable and fun, actually.

Loved this trail! The first couple miles are a little muddy, but enjoyable. Getting up East Osceola became a bit of a scramble, but it wasn't too difficult. Seemed to be a decent trail for dogs. Definitely be careful when it's wet because the rocks were pretty slippery, but would definitely recommend for a challenging but satisfying hike.

Overall an epic hike. Trail was in good shape but today was dry. I can see this being a challenge in any wet conditions. If you do not like steep hikes then this is not for you!!

Overall fun hike. I will say that I underestimated how hard it would be. Doable but very challenging. We were exhausted by the end. Greeley pond trail is easy but shortly after you turn onto Osceola trail it gradually picks up elevation until maybe the last 1/2 mile before east summit where it becomes very steep. I had to put my trekking poles away and start using my hands to grasp rocks and climb up. Fun but we were very tired. East summit pretty much has no views. We went on to Osceola. Again hike is not bad until you get to the chimney (really not bad). Straight up but the actual chimney part is short. After the chimney it stayed relatively steep until we got to the top of Osceola where the views were phenomenal. We went on a Saturday and started at 730 am. We didn’t see anyone else on the trail until probably 9 am and then from there it was nonstop people. I’d probably go for a weekday next time if possible. The Osceola summit was packed and it seemed the side coming from Tripoli was much busier. We didn’t bring our dogs because we were concerned about getting them up the chimney and the steep sections and I’m happy with our choice but I did see other dogs on the trail that seemed to be doing ok.

Great hike! Lots of terrain variation on the trail. Went on a fairly cloudy and mildly rainy day and still got some incredible views. Decently steep incline in some sections, not very technical though for most of the hike. Hardest/most fun part was climbing up and down the chimney. Great views on the way up and down, and incredible views from the summit. Checked out upper pond on my way back to the parking lot, definitely would recommend stopping there. Wear boots, rocks can be slippy if it’s been raining, especially when descending. Took me about 5 hours, including stopping for a bit at the summit.

Out and back from Greeley Pond Trailhead. Wife and I completed in approx 5 hrs, good time for bagging #22&23! GPS came in at 7.6 miles. In one respect route was easier than anticipated (Chimney, while very cool, was not any more hairaising than the ladders on Mt Caddillac...), on the other hand, a lot of tumbledowns /rocks to navigate on descent... good test for the knees. A very rewarding jaunt!

Hiked Osceola and East Osceola as part of the 4000fters. Views from atop East Osceola were incredible. The lower part of the trail were slightly muddy.

Took Greeley pond trail from the Kan. I hiked to upper Greeley pond and set up a hammock for the wife. She took a nap while i hiked East Osceola Mt. I found this mountain to be challenging in spots mostly on the way back down. The two view points before the summit were definitely worth the UP. I did this on the 4th of July.

Started at 3pm hiked alone and finished at Tripoli around 630pm. Saw a few people coming down from east Osceola as I ascended but once I made it to the east Osceola summit I alone the rest of the way. All the noise about no view on east Osceola is over hyped (although technically true) because there are two view spots right before the summit overlooking both sides of the mountain that are amazing. Having Osceola summit to myself was serene. I was able to jog in the first 1.3 miles on Greeley. It is relatively flat. The climb to east Osceola was steep and it was not easy. I had no issues with finding footing and did not find it slippery. I could see a lot of dogs having difficulty with it. I was nervous about the chimney between east Osceola and Osceola but it really isn’t a big deal, plenty of footing and dry. There is a way around it to the the right. (Difficult to see until you are above chimney.) Descending Osceola was quicker than expected and I was able to jog down for some of it. I would recommend 25% deet and you may need to reapply half way. They were buzzing but minimal bites ... maybe 2or 3.

Beautiful day. The last half mile of the ascent to East Osceola was the steepest; the trail in between the two peaks is relatively tame. Relatively quick trail in terms of the 4ks if you don't have the full day to hike - was in and out in 4 hours. Only a few clouds in a bright blue sky on the summit as I enjoyed my lunch. Total distance is 7.6 mi.

I would give this 3.8 stars. There is still a lot of deep snow and a lot of places to fall through the snow. This added a decent amount of time to the hike. We went across to the next summit and that snow was more slushy and soft. Even with microspikes we were sliding down but it was a fun hike!