Oaklands Tunnel Trail

Oaklands Tunnel Trail is a 7.6 mile out and back trail located near Exeter, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Thank goodness for the trail map. Got off trail 5 times. Pay close attention to the trail markings or you’ll get off track.

awesome trail, ended up at the power lines.definately do it again

Nice trail though poorly marked in spots. Useful to run the AllTrails app to keep track of position and make sure you take the right turns (there are quite a few). Fairly flat with a few moderate short uphills and a few large rocks to climb over or around. Some simple plank bridges over wet areas. Medium sized parking lot off 85 just north of 101 marked with wooden Oakland Forest sign. I would call this more of a loop trail than an out and back since there are a couple options for doing various distance loops depending on which turns you take. I did a 5.5 mile loop basically following the AllTrails map with a few shortcuts. Great for hiking, mountain biking and dog walking.

Nice place to hike with the dogs. Lots of area to hike. Our short hike ended up a 3 hour mission to find our way out. The trails are not marked very well! No matter what trail your on it always says red and when you reach a split off the red trails go in 4 different directions. I would go again but next time be prepared to be in there for awhile. They need to mark the trails better.

Great trail to get out on in the morning, gets noisy from the highway but overall great trail.

This was a bit rough. Lots of turn offs if you aren't using a map app. Web map claims 5 miles which my wife and I didn't believe for a minute. Not a very scenic trail but it's a good workout

good for trail running - easy to get lost

Would be 5 if trail was better marked. Keep phone on you

Monday, May 09, 2016

The trail is very well maintained but the trails are not all marked and have some confusing intersections. I suggest downloading the map and using GPS.

We did the red loop without the added extension under the highway. The trail was rather uneventful until we saw a beaver in one of the bog areas. I wouldn't travel a long way to do this trail but if you live nearby and are looking to simply have a walk in the woods then this is a good trail for you.

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Good trail. Easy to get lost. Walked steadily for 3 straight hours, total 8 miles. Alittle much for this 58 year old. Especially since it was my first hike!!

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Nice trail, not too difficult. Did find trail a little hard to follow, we ended up traveling a few different colored trails. Nice 3 mile loop with the dog.

Friday, April 29, 2016

I like this trail because it is slightly more difficult than a lot of the trails you find in the seacoast. Dog friendly. Well established and blazed trails, although there is no signage. Maps can be printed on the Exeter town page.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Very nice trails. Need to go back with a mountain bike.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

My First time here. Took my 2 German Shepherds with me. They enjoy it

Saturday, March 12, 2016

It is an easy 6mile hike with marked trails, decent view and elevation. We did not want anything more than 3 miles. Once we hit our goal we headed back on the same red trail.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Good tip above; iPhone helped navigation.

Monday, June 22, 2015

Good trail - quiet hike. Like other reviews (thanks!) the trailhead parking lot is actually of of 85N. Lots of alternate routes to choose from, nice hike only obe other person on the trails after a couple of hours, on a monday morning.

Sunday, June 07, 2015

These trails are great for a Sunday afternoon hike.material says two miles but we had no problem doing a four mile loop. could have been 10 miles if we wanted. Trails are well maintained easy to walk - about 340 feet total elevation. Few mosquitoes but no swarms. Connected to other Exeter trails via tunnel. Important to take your cell phone with maps or easy to take wrong turn. No signage at all (e.g. Parking Lot, or River Loop etc..). Great hidden local treasure. Parking lot was miss-mapped. I corrected it. Just off route 85 500 feet north from 101.

Friday, May 08, 2015

Good trail, definitely not for someone who has a walking disability and much longer then 2 miles

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

There are lots of trails in Oaklands and Henderson-Swasey Town Forests in Exeter, NH. The two town forests are connected via a tunnel under NH Route 101 between Exits 9 and 10. The trails are pretty well marked and blazed in several colors and are used by hikers and bikers throughout the year. The official links can be found here: http://town.exeter.nh.us/parkstrails.cfm and the maps are pretty accurate.