North Pack Monadnock Mountain via Wapack Trail

North Pack Monadnock Mountain via Wapack Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Greenfield, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 964 feet Route Type: Out & Back

icy

This was a lovely hike! Lots of pockets of views. It was very icy closer to the summit.

I live on the road of this trail and was raised on it my dad took me all the time starting from a very younge age before 5. Its long for a kid so unless you can sometimes help and carry them a good distance leave them home otherwise its a great long family hike for spending the day out in the forest. Its super dog friendly as an adult I bring my malamute often and get a great work out.

icy

Icy in spots. I would NOT climb without spikes after this snow storm.

icy

Great trail. Icy in spots but was able to step around them. No spikes needed .... yet. Beautiful view of a snow covered Monadnock from the summit. Added the Cliff trail loop from summit to get in some additional time outside and recommend this if you want more views. Trail was in great condition.

icy

Great trail, though there had definitely been a recent ice storm because there was melting ice everywhere, made it through fine with no micros likes though. If you want a spectacular view from the top, continue to the pack monadnock summit.

icy

Beautiful day hiking up North Pack and over the cliff trail. There was some icy spots but could be avoided. No micro spikes today! This was a fun hike climbing over rocks. Just very cold today

icy

11.9.19 Beautiful but cold day. Some ice on the trail but it was avoidable if you stepped in the right spots. A pleasant layer of snow as you got to the top. Our group decided to take the Cliff Trail upon reaching the summit for a 180 degree view of surrounding peaks, including a snow covered Mt. Monadnock. On the way down, we came across two different parties with unleashed dogs. One of the dogs jumped on me and scratched my leg. One of my party (not its irresponsible owner) had to grab the dog to get it off me. The owners refused to leash the dog even after it attacked me, and only relented after one man ran terrified up the mountain and refused to come down until the dog was restrained. It held up my party a good 10 minutes while the owners attempted to get the animal under control, and we were late for lunch. The listing for this says that dogs must be leashed. I wish people would be more considerate in following this for people who have a fear of dogs and do not want to be attacked. Some people choose hikes based on the leash rules and they putting their trust in people to obey them. When they don't, it really sours the experience for others and puts people and dogs in danger.

Views were minimal from this trail. Wish we had Ted’s/Carolyn trail instead, views were much better on that side of the hike. If you do this trail, go down Cliff Trail when you get to the top for the best views. A few areas were difficult to navigate with an on leash dog, but overall dog-friendly and accessible. Decent hike.

Nice trail. Not too difficult but enough to get a good workout. Thankful that everyone with dogs had them on leashes.

Good hike for cardio, views were ok.

Fun

Fun little hike on Pack Monadnock. My kids had fun (11-14 yo) and I got to bring the dog. up at the fire tower was busy, but we had a nice lunch with a view.

Absolutely loved this trail! We hiked it in a leisurely 3hr 45 min with my pregnant self, 3 year old, 5 year old, mom and husband. It is family friendly if you’re used to a fair amount of bouldering/scrambling expect to help young kiddos a lot but we loved it! Lovely view at the top and magical trail.

Love the Wapack trail. Also went and did half the cliff trail. Watched the sun set and hiked down in the dark. Very easy to follow with nice bright yellow blazing.

Fantastic hidden gem close to home! if you have a chance to go during sunset head over to the cliff. It's an unreal view. will be doing this again.

After doing North Pack Monadnock, I took the Wapack Trail to Pack Monadnock, which added more than 4.6 miles but was well worth it, as the views from the summit, especially from the tower you can go up, are amazing 360 degree views. Absolutely no bugs. I would agree this trail is moderate. Ascents were not bad, with rocks but no scrambling.

We had a great time! Strenuous as you near the summit. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. The view from the summit is beautiful somewhat limited. We continued onto the Cliff Trail (about a mile) and it was well worth the spectacular views.

Fun hike, lots of dogs

Nice easy hike up to North Pack. Definitely recommend continuing on to the Cliff Trail viewpoint (adds a total of 1 mile there and back). Note that maybe a quarter mile past the trailhead, the trail seems to continue straight ahead while the actual trails bears to the left.