Newbury Trail

Newbury Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newbury, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,584 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail was well marked and offered great views for your hard work.

This is a decent trail with a nice view! The problem I had was that there are too many overgrown spots, lots of bugs and mud. It was still a very enjoyable hike! We followed the orange trail to white and then back down orange.

Trail is pretty messy very well marked. The uphill sections are often fairly steep, but not very long. There was zero visibility today with the rain and fog so no views. Unfortunate that it was a cloudy day, I was looking forward to seeing the lake! Will have to come back.

I decided on a whim to check out this trail today, March 30. I live nearby and have wanted to make it up to check out this Lake Solitude I keep hearing about, and it was nice enough today I figured I'd give it a shot. I left around 4pm thinking being a 5 mile trail it would not take very long. I parked in the Post Office parking lot. I thought for some reason the trail starts there but after checking my map I figured out I had to go down to the next street. Easy enough. From the trailhead there's a pretty big uphill almost immediately that was a big sheet of ice. I managed to make my way up/around it with just my hiking boots, but it was sketchy. After that hill though, it was mostly packed snow the rest of the way. I found the beginning portion of the trail to be pretty dull, it's all very dense tree cover and you can't really see much. Once you get to the intersection with the Rim Trail, though, things start to open up and there are some awesome views looking out over the lake and beyond (see pic). Up here the snow started to get a little softer and I found myself sinking into the snow quite a bit, slowing me down. I also got confused about which way to go a couple times. Be very careful to keep an eye on the markers, there are a lot of places where the trail makes an abrupt turn but it is not always clear. If you go more than a few steps without seeing a marker, stop and look around for one. If you can't see one, go back to the previous marker and see if you can see one in another direction. For the most part, if you are are standing at one marker, the next one should be in sight. Eventually I made it up to the point where I could see Lake Solitude and also had some nice views looking South-East towards Bald Sunapee and Lake Todd. I decided to turn back rather than continuing down to Lake Solitude because by this point it was 7pm and I knew it would be getting dark soon. Going downhill was much smoother sailing. I got back down to my truck by 8pm and headed home, happy to have finally seen the mythical lake on top of the mountain. I'll definitely be making this hike again, it is relatively easy and leads to some nice peaceful areas with good views. My advice if you are thinking of doing the trail is to plan more time than you think you need. It looks like a quick hike on the map but there are some fairly technical sections on the way up. Based on the amount of snow and ice I would recommend if you go up in April to wear good hiking boots and ideally snow pants to keep the snow out of your shoes. By mid-April or May I expect the snow and ice will be mostly out of there.

had some pretty views but had to post hole a good two miles and that was just horrid, also the trail spat us out on the side of a ski slope

So I went in early January (01-02-19). The trail was very well marked and there were only a handful of times I needed to walk away from one trail marker before seeing the next. This is definitely on the harder side of moderate in my opinion. It’s a pretty moderate incline for much of the hike up. If you plan on going during the winter months, definitely prepare... and DO NOT GO WITHOUT SNOW CLEATS AND HIKING POLES!!! It was very icy. Couldn’t have done it without my cleats on. Instead of going up to the overlook, I actually walked out and onto the lake as it was frozen pretty thick. I stayed close to the shore line just in case though. Just in case you’re thinking about making a short cut through the trail (as I did) it was steep, extremely icy and tough. There’s a part of the trail where it does sort of a U- I decided to use the whole shortest distance between two points approach- can’t say it was completely worth it. Probably saved time on the way up- but burned a ton of energy doing so. All in all, great hike. Definitely plan on doing the Sunapee Summit next time with the wife! Also- Lake Solitude looks like it’d be an awesome swimming lake in the summer months... I’ll let you know when I go back! Hike safe.

Didn’t do the whole 5 miles. Just hiked out to eagles nest outlook for the stunning views overlooking Lake Sunapee. 10/10 views. Especially in the fall!

This is definitely not a “moderate” trail in my estimation. Steep hike almost the whole way. The views of Lake Solitude however may make it worth the climb. Very poor footing on the way back down.

Monday, September 17, 2018

loved this hike. some tough, steep spots but it was worth it when you got to the top! The trail was marked really well, and it was so easy to follow! SO many cool things to see on the way up, lots of good photo ops! The only thing that put a damper on the hike was the mud, lots of muddy spots!

Monday, August 27, 2018

Great workout. Harder than it looks!

Saturday, November 25, 2017

2 hours to White Cliff Overlook. 1 hr 15 down. Trail was icy in spots and lots of leaves. Must be careful on descent. Fantastic view from Overlook onto Lake Solitude. Strange energy in the woods, though.

Friday, November 10, 2017

Really great hike. Hard and steep to start off (for about a ~1.25 miles, then flattens out. Went to eagles nest, then lake solitude and then crossed over to Mount Sunapee (only an extra mile there, really flat and worth the mile). Chilly and windy with snow on the mountain, but awesome trails.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Great trail! Starts out steep for about a third of the hike but then levels out. Beautiful view of the lake at the end. Definitely worth the extra mile to the summit, it's a pretty easy mile to the top and the views are worth it! Good place to stop for lunch and relax before heading back down.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

My family (2 adults, 12 & 14yr old boys) and I did this today. Left from the side street in Newbury and were greeted by a pretty steep start. We decided not to go to the Lake at the Jack & Jane junction, but to continue on to the Sunapee Summit. All told, I logged a little over 6.25 miles and it took us 4.75 hours with several stops. Last mile down was tough on the knees!

Thursday, June 29, 2017

A good workout and a good climb. A bit more strenuous then Andrew Brook. Added 2 miles too it by going over to the summit. Although some ppl say nay to this I say go for it. Great views there.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

This is a rail trail I runs from Newbury harbor to Bradford. The lake referred to is Lake Sunapee. It's a nice walk MOuntan Road to South street is 2.5 miles each way. The historic part of the trail known as the cut is between Mountain Road and the harbor. The trail is an easy walk for all. *****This is not the Andrew Brook Trail which goes up to Lake Solitude and the ledges above.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Moderate hike. Good preparation for 4000 footers. Dog friendly.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

Got crowded through the day. Lake solitude and the cliffs are a great hike. Wouldn't do the hike to Sunapee Summit again

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Sadly we didn't make it all the way to the summit, but the views along the way were pretty. Would go again.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Great hike! Beautiful view of Lake Solitude.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Very nice single-track climb up. Saw no one at all (nice change). Not too difficult for kids, if they're in shape.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Great Hike! Amazing Views!

Wednesday, October 07, 2015

I liked this trail a lot. It was steeper than we expected, but that added to the fun and challenge. We'll definitely do it again and try to make a large loop somehow. The views are certainly worth the climb.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Im not sure what "Newbury Cut" means, but this is the Andrews Brook Trail and it's four miles out and back. Good view of Lake Solitude from the ledges. I prefer this trek during the winter when im always alone out there, but I hear its quite popular in the summer and fall when tourist levels are the highest.

Monday, August 04, 2014

Great trail. Lots of mud but a good moderate trail. Not many people were around on a Sunday. However it was cloudy. We got a little scared after hearing purring in the woods. It was probably just a raccoon but with nothing around it was hard to push to the lake after that. I would go back with a larger group and bug spray.

Monday, November 04, 2013

My life changed because of the Andrew Brook Trail to Solitude Ridge. I started out as a 270lb 5'11" tall man who wanted to change his life. 13 years ago I began hiking this route twice a week for five straight months. A year later I was down to 160lb. I have now been married 10 years and have a 9 year old daughter and still weigh around 165lb. It is such a great and challenging hike with the views atop the ridge as a reward. I can't say enough about this hike. Changed my life!