Newbury Trail

Newbury Trail is a 5.3 mile out and back trail located near Newbury, New Hampshire that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Really great hike. Hard and steep to start off (for about a ~1.25 miles, then flattens out. Went to eagles nest, then lake solitude and then crossed over to Mount Sunapee (only an extra mile there, really flat and worth the mile). Chilly and windy with snow on the mountain, but awesome trails.

Great trail! Starts out steep for about a third of the hike but then levels out. Beautiful view of the lake at the end. Definitely worth the extra mile to the summit, it's a pretty easy mile to the top and the views are worth it! Good place to stop for lunch and relax before heading back down.

My family (2 adults, 12 & 14yr old boys) and I did this today. Left from the side street in Newbury and were greeted by a pretty steep start. We decided not to go to the Lake at the Jack & Jane junction, but to continue on to the Sunapee Summit. All told, I logged a little over 6.25 miles and it took us 4.75 hours with several stops. Last mile down was tough on the knees!

A good workout and a good climb. A bit more strenuous then Andrew Brook. Added 2 miles too it by going over to the summit. Although some ppl say nay to this I say go for it. Great views there.

This is a rail trail I runs from Newbury harbor to Bradford. The lake referred to is Lake Sunapee. It's a nice walk MOuntan Road to South street is 2.5 miles each way. The historic part of the trail known as the cut is between Mountain Road and the harbor. The trail is an easy walk for all.

*****This is not the Andrew Brook Trail which goes up to Lake Solitude and the ledges above.

Moderate hike. Good preparation for 4000 footers. Dog friendly.

Got crowded through the day. Lake solitude and the cliffs are a great hike. Wouldn't do the hike to Sunapee Summit again

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Sadly we didn't make it all the way to the summit, but the views along the way were pretty. Would go again.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Great hike! Beautiful view of Lake Solitude.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Very nice single-track climb up. Saw no one at all (nice change). Not too difficult for kids, if they're in shape.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Great Hike! Amazing Views!

Wednesday, October 07, 2015

I liked this trail a lot. It was steeper than we expected, but that added to the fun and challenge. We'll definitely do it again and try to make a large loop somehow. The views are certainly worth the climb.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Im not sure what "Newbury Cut" means, but this is the Andrews Brook Trail and it's four miles out and back. Good view of Lake Solitude from the ledges. I prefer this trek during the winter when im always alone out there, but I hear its quite popular in the summer and fall when tourist levels are the highest.

Monday, August 04, 2014

Great trail. Lots of mud but a good moderate trail. Not many people were around on a Sunday. However it was cloudy. We got a little scared after hearing purring in the woods. It was probably just a raccoon but with nothing around it was hard to push to the lake after that. I would go back with a larger group and bug spray.

Monday, November 04, 2013

My life changed because of the Andrew Brook Trail to Solitude Ridge. I started out as a 270lb 5'11" tall man who wanted to change his life. 13 years ago I began hiking this route twice a week for five straight months. A year later I was down to 160lb. I have now been married 10 years and have a 9 year old daughter and still weigh around 165lb. It is such a great and challenging hike with the views atop the ridge as a reward. I can't say enough about this hike. Changed my life!

Monday, August 12, 2013

Not sure if this trail, Newbury Cut, is the same as the combination of Andrew Brooks trail and 1.2 leg from Lake Solitude to Mount Sunapee summit. Personally, I do not think it is an easy trail. The climb to Lake Solitude is quite relentless, no breaks ascent in the beautiful forest, tree roots are all over. But when you get to Lake Solitude, you will see that the view is worth the effort. The tranquil lake covered with lilies is magical in its solemn serenity. After enjoying the lake view, we continued 1.2 miles to the Mount Sunapee summit. This leg was relatively easy with only one tricky spot that required caution and a bit of rock scrambling. Do not miss beautiful overlook on the way to the summit: you will enjoy the view of Lake Solitude from the top and the view is absolutely stunning, breathtaking. The views from the summit are majestic: it is 360 degrees panorama of New Hampshire and Vermont mountain ranges with beautiful Lake Sunapee at the bottom. Well, it is a long hike but very pleasant and not too difficult. Good for dogs and kids.

2 hours to White Cliff Overlook. 1 hr 15 down. Trail was icy in spots and lots of leaves. Must be careful on descent. Fantastic view from Overlook onto Lake Solitude. Strange energy in the woods, though.