Mt. Washington via Jewell Trail, Gulfside Trail and Crawford Path

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(310)
Mount Washington State Park

Mt. Washington via Jewell Trail, Gulfside Trail and Crawford Path is a 11.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.2 miles Elevation Gain: 4,166 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from US 3 north of I-93, NH: Travel US 3 east to where it intersects with US 302. Take US 302 east for several miles to where it forks with Base Road. Travel Base Road to Mt. Clinton Road. Stay on Base Road and travel 1 more mile to the trailhead by the parking area on the south side of the road.

Beautiful hike on an 80 degree day. I competed this with a good pair of crampons and a tank top. My boots and socks were soaked about an hour and half into it with all the melting snow and slush but totally worth it. It took me about 2.5 hours to the hut and 1.5 to the summit. 6.5 hours round trip with a short break to watch some brave skiers go down Tuckerman Ravine. I almost feel like it was more challenging going down Jewell trail with all the rocks than it was going up Ammonoosuc. Well worth the effort.

icy

Beautiful trail on a clear day. Great if trying to ascend Mt Washington if your with new hikers. A group of 20 of us did it, including mostly novice hikers

icy

Hiked on October 20th, 2019. Decided to check off Mount Washington with my hikes in New Hampshire. Since moving from Kentucky in May, I've tried to do a different hike every weekend. This was by far the hardest, but it was also the most rewarding. Began the day at 7 a.m. on the Jewell trail and came down on the Ammonoosuc. Finished at dark because I stayed at the hut a little longer than expected. I would probably recommend doing the opposite in the future, Ammonoosuc up, Jewell down. The Jewell trail is definitely the easier and would have been much better going down than up on. Very icy on both trails. Definitely need good boots with good soles. Highly recommend doing this hike once. The views are amazing and the clouds were gone once I reached the top. Will definitely do this again and even in the snow.

Overall a really good hike. 10 miles by my GPS count. Great views once you break the tree line, especially since I arrived at the tree line right as the clouds were burning off. Strongly recommend some solid shoes. At least half of the trail is relatively rough rocks and steep grades. Shoes with a firm sole will do your feet favors.

Great trail. I recommend if you do the loop, hike it counterclockwise. A lot of bare, wet, slippery ledges

Great hike. Amazing views.

Awesome trail conditions today. Breezy and cold on top. Very few hikers out there. Spectacular Views with the leaves in full color.

went up Amo and descended Jewell, which was definitely a good call. Amo is definitely the steeper of the two and if it is icy or wet, it can be tough. overall beautiful hike, it definitely made the legs burn, but it was worth it.

Great hike! Definitely a challenge and not well marked in certain spots but the views are worth it! Hiked up and took the Cog down. Great morning!

Do not park at the Cog rail parking. It costs $10 per person. There is actual trail head parking ($5 per car) on the right side of base station road just less than 1 mile from cog entrance. We went up Ammonoosuc Ravine trail which was a great idea as the trail tends to be wet going along the river and gets very steep with a lot of scrambling up big boulders after the gem pool, all the way up to the hut. Today was the last day of the season for the hut and they offer all you can eat in exchange for 20 min of work :-). It was a beautiful clear day with great views. With a beautiful day also comes with a lot of hikers. Since we have been to Mt Washington in the past, we decided to skip the summit and cut through Gulfside trail back down Jewel trail. Love Gulfside trail which offers great view of the southern presidential range and is much quieter and away from the crowd. Took us 2.5 hrs up to the hut and 3.5 hr from the hut back to parking lot. Much easier coming down Jewel trail especially once you are below alpine zone. Would definitely do this again.

Bon défi lorsque vous êtes chargés, nous nous sommes tenté au Hermit Lake shelter et avons laissé notre équipement à cet endroit pour finir le trajet avec le minimum de poids et atteindre le sommet via Tuckerman. Nous sommes revenu via Lion's Head ce que je recommande vu la vue magnifique....

Went up Jewell and down Ammo. Great overall hike. Going down it was a bit steep and some parts were wet from rainfall the night before so it made the descent a little tricky. Took us 4 hours up and 4 hours down. Would definitely do this trail again. The views on the summit of Mt Washington were great. The chili on the summit is good too.

Went up Ammo from Base Station Rd trailhead, took Crawford to summit. Came back on Gulfside/Jewell. Definitely glad we made the ascent on Ammo - coming down it would’ve been a lot of scooting down rock, and especially bad if wet. Route was 9.2 miles. Both under 23 years old, made it in 4:41. Good trail, would do again. Great soup at the summit.

Went up Ammo to the hut, over and back to Monroe, up to Washington via Crawford, and then down Trinity Heights/Gulfside/Jewell. My watch recorded this as 11.2 miles with 4200 feet elevation gain. We had two young teenagers and it took us 10 hours with a short break at the hut and a long break at Washington. Our pace was moderate mixed with some slow. Winds were strong near the top on the way up and bothered us for a good chunk of the Trinity Heights/Gulfside/Jewel. There are a lot of boulders and zig-zagging on the way down. The views were great on Gulfside and the top of Jewell, but if I did this again, I think I would go back down Ammo. I think it would shave off considerable time, you don't have the train sounds/smell as much, and you will be out of the wind faster. There are steep parts on Ammo but I think the descent wouldn't be bad as long as it isn't wet. The Ammo trail had many beautiful views and several waterfalls.