Mt. Washington via Jewell Trail, Gulfside Trail and Crawford Path

Mt. Washington via Jewell Trail, Gulfside Trail and Crawford Path is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Marshfield Station, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from US 3 north of I-93, NH: Travel US 3 east to where it intersects with US 302. Take US 302 east for several miles to where it forks with Base Road. Travel Base Road to Mt. Clinton Road. Stay on Base Road and travel 1 more mile to the trailhead by the parking area on the south side of the road.

We took the suggested route. Time to summit was 3:20ish, with a whole trip time of 7:25 (including an hour spent thawing and eating at the observatory). Like others have said, it’s a stair master of a hike. Weather was clear and very windy. Fortunately during our lunch, a ranger suggested we drop out of the exposed portion of the mountain asap due to the expected gusts. Hurricane winds greeted us as we descended (83 mph +/-). The Jewell trail did seem like the longer portion of the hike. We loved it.

Weather, weather, wind. Thought we were going to get rained on, that didn't happen but it was a misty cloudy day at the top. Breathtaking views from the section between the summit and Lake of the Clouds. Worth a hike because it truly is a unique area. Happy trails!

10/1/17 - Gorgeous Day - 40s with low wind (25 MPH at Summit) with 100 mile visibility.

Started the Jewell Trail at 9:45am and traveled at a relaxed pace with two friends since this was my first ever hike. We reached the alpine zone at 11:20am, the Gulfside Trail at 12:15 and the Summit at 1:30. Overall hike time was 3:45.

Although the trail markings below the tree line are sparse, the Jewell trail is well-worn enough to be able to follow without much worry. Above the tree line the views were incredible. The sun was out and the trail had a few hikers on it but was not too crowded. The leaves are just starting to turn so the day felt like an appropriate transition from summer into autumn. It did not really get cold until about 0.5M from the summit. We enjoyed a nice lunch at the top and spectacular visibility.

I have so much to say about this looped trail but I'm still swearing so I will keep it civil and tell everyone that not only is the mileage incorrect, but do not go by anyone's moving time. I took a total of thirty minutes tops for breaks and total time was over 8 hours and yet it shows moving for 3 hours and change. That's BS! From the hut to the end of the Jewel trail was not one break and it took almost five hours!
Plan accordingly and have your ten essentials!

Editing the day after to say: Although this trail kicked my butt, it was beautiful and had breathtaking views. I'm glad I hiked this and it gave me a reality check for my capabilities. This is not the Wapack trail so do not overestimate your abilities and do not take risks. Start early, very early. I hiked two plus hours in the dark because I ended up taking longer to climb up Amonoosuc Ravine trail than I planned. Over 139 people have died on Mt Washington, do not be the next person. Be safe and hike on!

We took this trail down from the summit of Washington after tacking on Mt Clay. the boulder fields at the top were horrible leading to an ankle roll with three miles left to go. Once in the scrub brush and back to the trees the trail was pleasant...but L O N G. The last bit was tough to navigate in the late part of the day as we lost light....then it dumps you into a river crossing! Not my favorite but probably okay for people looking for less steep access to the summit.

This trail was awesome! I hiked it August 1 with my dog, and it kicked our asses (in a good way). It was really beautiful in the woods. Once at the treeline, the terrain changed from deep, lush greens to twiggy brush and a steeper climb. Then came the boulder field and that was incredible. It's easy to lose sight of the trail at this point because the cairns to mark the trail are made by a pile of rocks in the boulder field, like finding a needle in a haystack. It took us about five hours to reach the summit and once we did the pup's paws were shredded from the uneven path. The view was insanely beautiful and it felt so good to reach the top. Luckily, there was some trail magic and we got help back to the car. It was a beautiful day, really great weather with the most perfect pup in the world!

this is one the best hike I ever did so far.

Excellent hike up via the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail and back down via Gulfside and Jewell Trails. Challenging on the way up, especially since it gets steeper after the first mile. But the views are well worth it. Though we're in decent shape, we're fairly novice hikers. We made it from the Cog Railway parking lot to the Lake of the Clouds Hut in about 1:45. After a quick side trip to bag Mt. Monroe, we got to the Mt. Washington summit in about another 45 mins. Great place to rest up a bit and get some chow before heading back down. The hike back took about 2:30. The trails are well marked and were dry today, though I can imagine the rocks on the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail can get slippery after some rain, making it more treacherous. Highly recommend it!

Definately not an easy trail for me. once out of the woods and above the tree line..beautiful views but the rocks slowed me down. Made the trip with family and friends, the day after was a sedentary day so that my legs could recover.