Mt. Washington via Jewell Trail, Gulfside Trail and Crawford Path

Mt. Washington via Jewell Trail, Gulfside Trail and Crawford Path is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Marshfield Station, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from US 3 north of I-93, NH: Travel US 3 east to where it intersects with US 302. Take US 302 east for several miles to where it forks with Base Road. Travel Base Road to Mt. Clinton Road. Stay on Base Road and travel 1 more mile to the trailhead by the parking area on the south side of the road.

This is probably the easiest trail for Mt. Washington. Add Clay for a bonus.

We took the suggested route. Time to summit was 3:20ish, with a whole trip time of 7:25 (including an hour spent thawing and eating at the observatory). Like others have said, it’s a stair master of a hike. Weather was clear and very windy. Fortunately during our lunch, a ranger suggested we drop out of the exposed portion of the mountain asap due to the expected gusts. Hurricane winds greeted us as we descended (83 mph +/-). The Jewell trail did seem like the longer portion of the hike. We loved it.

Weather, weather, wind. Thought we were going to get rained on, that didn't happen but it was a misty cloudy day at the top. Breathtaking views from the section between the summit and Lake of the Clouds. Worth a hike because it truly is a unique area. Happy trails!

I have so much to say about this looped trail but I'm still swearing so I will keep it civil and tell everyone that not only is the mileage incorrect, but do not go by anyone's moving time. I took a total of thirty minutes tops for breaks and total time was over 8 hours and yet it shows moving for 3 hours and change. That's BS! From the hut to the end of the Jewel trail was not one break and it took almost five hours!
Plan accordingly and have your ten essentials!

Editing the day after to say: Although this trail kicked my butt, it was beautiful and had breathtaking views. I'm glad I hiked this and it gave me a reality check for my capabilities. This is not the Wapack trail so do not overestimate your abilities and do not take risks. Start early, very early. I hiked two plus hours in the dark because I ended up taking longer to climb up Amonoosuc Ravine trail than I planned. Over 139 people have died on Mt Washington, do not be the next person. Be safe and hike on!

We took this trail down from the summit of Washington after tacking on Mt Clay. the boulder fields at the top were horrible leading to an ankle roll with three miles left to go. Once in the scrub brush and back to the trees the trail was pleasant...but L O N G. The last bit was tough to navigate in the late part of the day as we lost light....then it dumps you into a river crossing! Not my favorite but probably okay for people looking for less steep access to the summit.

This trail was awesome! I hiked it August 1 with my dog, and it kicked our asses (in a good way). It was really beautiful in the woods. Once at the treeline, the terrain changed from deep, lush greens to twiggy brush and a steeper climb. Then came the boulder field and that was incredible. It's easy to lose sight of the trail at this point because the cairns to mark the trail are made by a pile of rocks in the boulder field, like finding a needle in a haystack. It took us about five hours to reach the summit and once we did the pup's paws were shredded from the uneven path. The view was insanely beautiful and it felt so good to reach the top. Luckily, there was some trail magic and we got help back to the car. It was a beautiful day, really great weather with the most perfect pup in the world!

this is one the best hike I ever did so far.

Excellent hike up via the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail and back down via Gulfside and Jewell Trails. Challenging on the way up, especially since it gets steeper after the first mile. But the views are well worth it. Though we're in decent shape, we're fairly novice hikers. We made it from the Cog Railway parking lot to the Lake of the Clouds Hut in about 1:45. After a quick side trip to bag Mt. Monroe, we got to the Mt. Washington summit in about another 45 mins. Great place to rest up a bit and get some chow before heading back down. The hike back took about 2:30. The trails are well marked and were dry today, though I can imagine the rocks on the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail can get slippery after some rain, making it more treacherous. Highly recommend it!

Definately not an easy trail for me. once out of the woods and above the tree line..beautiful views but the rocks slowed me down. Made the trip with family and friends, the day after was a sedentary day so that my legs could recover.

Above treeline has gorgeous views and once you are surrounded by the forest it's rather peaceful. Bright green moss everywhere and the sun slanting through the trees. An easier trail than the Ammonoosuc, in my opinion.

Easy trail, but rather boring when below treeline which is more than half of the hike. better choices available.

challenging hike. weather can change on a dime, which can impede any/all views near the top.

- Bring water, food, wear long pants, bring a waterproof windbreaker and a warm layer or two in your pack as well as a headlamp. It was 72 at the base and 36 at the top with the windchill.

We hiked the whole 10(ish) mile trail loop, starting with the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, up to Crawford Pass, to Gulfside Trail, and down Jewell Trail back to the Cog Railway parking lot. If you use AllTrails they'll call this a 7.4 mile loop, it's not, ends up at around 11-12 with a few loop backs. It is an absolutely beautiful hike up the Ravine Trail, so have your camera ready. As you climb up you get a wonderful view of the valley. At the top of that pass there is a lodge that was selling soup for $2 before you continue the climb up to the top of mt washington (1.5 miles) which is where the cog railway takes people. While there you can also pick up some provisions in case you've run short before heading back down or you can cut the hike short and take the cog railway down. The hike down is extremely rocky using the Jewell trail with far more shaky rocks than the way up on the Ravine trail, you are also above the tree line and exposed for a portion of this hike back. At the bottom there is a split for nt parking to the right, if you parked at the cog station take the left route or you'll be walking on the road for an extra .5+. Overall a beautiful hike up the highest point in NE.

***Check the weather before hiking at https://www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather/mount-washington-weather.aspx*** There is a reason this hike is listed on the top 7 mountains in the world that are underestimated (there's a sign at the top of the 159 people the mountain has claimed). The mountain is cited to have the worst weather in North America, and it constantly shifts. Storms blow in out of nowhere, fog rolls in and people get lost on the trail. So be prepared.

A great day of hiking. Incredible views throughout. I was able to bang out Monroe too. So two off the list. This added a little over a mile to the hike. My first time up Washington and I will always remember this day, just amazing!

Did this on a 87 degree day. Totally worth it.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Awesome hike. Perfect conditions yesterday... 10/17.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Great trail with amazing views. My brother highly recommended this trail and I now know why. I descended via the Jewell which makes a great loop around the Cog.

Monday, October 03, 2016

Very pretty hike. Tons of waterfalls. Took 5 hrs to the top. Rode the cogway down, which was $50 one way. Not worth that price unless you are really tired.. As others have mentioned, this is a stairmaster of a hike. The middle 0.8 miles is 35%. Don't kid yourself, it's just short of rock climb. I wouldn't call it dangerous unless you don't check the forecast or are in bad shape. I'm 6'0" and 250lb and did fine. But my legs are strong.

Monday, October 03, 2016

This was my first hike up to mt. Washington summit. Was w a friend who has done it about 6 times . Took us 4.5 hours up. A lot tougher than I thought. Be prepared w layers of clothing rain gear hat gloves, and an extra shirt to change into at summit, Due to the sweat. 80% of the time the trail was a stairway of damp slippery rocks. The trail was a little tricky after the hut. When you are in the back of the hut go to the left follow the markers than to the cairns to the summit . We took the cog down which was worth every bit of $48.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

This is another one of those must do hikes. Incredible views, tough in spots, and lots of variation in terrain. Ammonoosuc trail is lots of water and smooth ledge. Up to the summit is loose boulders, on the way down lots of scrambling and rock, and then ends with a nice quiet forest setting. I am doing this same route with another group of friends next week, and cannot wait. That is how good it was. we had perfect weather, but so did the other thousand people that were on the mountain. A midweek hike would be best for those that like to be alone. The hut also closes this weekend, so bring enough food and water to make it to the summit.