Mount Tom, Mount Field, Mount Willey, and Mount Avalon Loop Trail

Mount Tom, Mount Field, Mount Willey, and Mount Avalon Loop Trail is a 8.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bretton Woods, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A loop trail hitting three 4,000' peaks. From AMC Highland Center, head west on A-Z Trail to Mt. Tom summit, then southwest on Willey Range Trail to Mts. Field and Willey summits.Return north to Mt. Field, then northeast on Avalon Trail to Mt. Avalon and returning to Highland Center.

Hiked this today. was a nice hike. 7 hrs and 2 mins..left a part of myself on Mt Tom

Not the greatest hike but well worth the three 4ks u grab. The trek up to Avalon well worth it to look down Crawford Notch

We ascended willey from Ethan pond and followed the willey range trail to field and onto tom via the a-z trail. Climbing up and down willey is the hard part, with the trails in between the other mountains being super straightforward. The climb up tom is a little bit difficult but very doable.

This was quite the challenge but it most certainly ended with a huge sense of accomplishment. The trails were gorgeous throughout. The Tom and Field summits didn't have much of a view due to trees but the look out point at Willey was worth it. Avalon was the best view of all 4 of these summits. We almost missed it so when you pass the cairn be sure to look for the sign down the trail a bit, on your right, to access the true summit. It was a steep 100 yard climb to access it but it takes maybe 5 minutes to get up there. We started around 8:45 and ended by 7p. We both strained our knees pretty badly that day (due to mud and wet rocks after it had rained the night before) so it took a little longer than expected. Still, 10 hours for a solid 4000 footer, peak bagging day wasn't too bad! Avalon is like a little 3000 footer bonus as you ascend this loop. If you're planning on doing all 4 summits, I'd recommend that you have some experience under your belt and that your body is conditioned for this type of trek. This loop definitely challenges you both physically and mentally! Will I do it again? Probably not...but I absolutely recommend that you do it at least once!

The rating of Hard is true on this hike. This was 6,7,8 for our mission to hike the NH 48, we knew these were wooded summits and we definitely underestimated the 8mile "loop". It's amazing that we did almost 10 miles for Moosilauke(4802') and felt great throughout. So we thought this would be more manageable and the perk of bagging 3 peaks in one trip. While we did complete it we agree we will likely never do it again. Just too much strain for limited views. All 3 peaks (excluding Avalon which isn't a 4000 footer) are wooded summits, but fortunately there are some clearings around each one to give you some views of the presidential range and views to the west. Avalon trail to AZ trail to get to Mount Tom was fine and manageable but it does feel like a never-ending incline till you get to the intersection for Mount Tom Spur to the summit which is level for a decent break spot. Mount Tom does have 2 unmarked trail paths to get a decent outlook 1 before the summit and the other at the summit. The mile of the Willey Range Trail to get to Mount Field was ok, decent footing and quiet (enjoy it while it lasts). Mount Field has 2 outlook points, 1 right before the summit and the other to the left if you are facing the rock cairn. I tried to have a bird eat from my hand which I had heard is possible and had no success. The 1.4 miles to Willey are probably the narrowest trail I have experienced so far. I'm used to tight trails as they get close to the summit but I would say 90% of this is narrow. Which became very interesting when we passed a handful of large groups heading to Mount Field as there is very limited space to step off to the side. This part of the trail is also fairly muddy but avoidable. My least favorite part was actually going down the Avalon trail to head to Mount Avalon as you lose so much elevation is was a series of steep giant boulders as you got closer to the bottom that made you question if it was worth it. Definitely didn't help that we were definitely exhausted from hitting the previous 3 peaks and having to stop more than necessary. Mount Avalon had decent views but I still wouldn't deem this trail series worth it for the amount of effort put forth. It is definitely not for anyone "out of shape". I did see dogs but only on the way to Mount Willey, there is only water on the beginning of the Avalon Trail and a little on the AZ Trail so you should make sure you have plenty of water for your dogs. We started at 6:30am and finished at 2:40pm. By far too long in my opinion, we stopped at each summit but for about 10min and Avalon for pictures. There was a lot of hold ups to Willey and back to Field which didn't help. Along with being overly cautious on some of the declines throughout. I am very much in shape and athletic and this trail put me through my paces. If I ever decide to do any of these peaks again (very unlikely) I would do them each by themselves so I could enjoy it more. It was pretty as most hikes are.

A satisfyingly long hike! The assent up to Tom on the A-Z trail was much more mentally (and physically) challenging than I anticipated. I'm in good shape, but I couldn't stop asking myself how much longer I'd be going straight up! After that section, the rest of the hike was super mellow—nice ups and downs in between peaks but nothing too hard on the knees. Saving Avalon for last is the icing on the cake—best view of the whole hike! For a summer Friday, the trails were quiet and everyone got their alone time on a peak if you wanted to wait 5 minutes.

Sickest trail ladders ever going up Willey! Also, the birds on Field WILL eat out of your hand. There is an unmarked fork in the trail near the summit of Tom; go left. There's just a clearing on the right, the cairn is to the left. All summits marked by giant cairns and not actual signs or geological survey pins.

Sunday, June 22, 2014