Mount Willard Trail

moderate 1251 reviews

Mount Willard Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bretton Woods, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 905 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From I-93 exit 35 near Franconia Notch, follow US Route 3 (North) about 11 miles to the junction of US Route 302 in Twin Mountain, turn right on US Route 302 (East) about 8.7 miles. Trailhead is located behind the railroad depot (AMC Crawford Notch Visitors Center).

Great easy trail for a winter hike with lovely views

recorded Mount Willard Trail

Great hike, gradual incline- perfect day. Recording is not accurate because we started the route before my phone lost service.

Pretty easy hike up for breathtaking views. Come join us at A Better Life and show us your adventures!

recorded Mount Willard Trail

It was a perfect day for hiking this trail. There was fresh snow everywhere making the trail beautiful. There was alot of traffic on the trail but everyone was friendly. Perfect trail for families and your four legged friends.

One of our first long, moderate level hikes as a family. We had kids with us (4, 6, 8, 10) in mid-July. It was totally gorgeous. Moderate in the White Mountains is different from moderate in Ohio I think, but we managed fine. The weather was gorgeous, sunny and not super hot/humid. We went in the morning (we did Lonesome Lake in the afternoon and found it much more strenuous, for comparison). We did have a lot of slipping/falling from one kid in particular, he needed more grip/tread on his shoes. The 4yo was in the carrier a lot (short legs and elevation), but walked a bit. We made it to the top to stunning views and a big sense of pride and accomplishment. Hope to visit again some day! A must-see in the area.

The best hike in Crawford Notch, I hike it every aingle year. Gives you a view of the entire notch from the top. Great hike to do in October to see the foliage NH has to offer.

Good hike

My first time hiking up Willard so I am looking forward to doing it when it isnt snowy. The trail was pretty packed down already so I used spikes instead of snowshoes, but it's a fairly easy winter hike with a great view.

This trail made for a swell winter hike. It gets a lot of traffic, so the snow was nicely packed down. The trail is on the easy side of moderate, with most of it being a gradual incline. It’s still challenging enough to get the heart pumping for a good workout. I would HIGHLY recommend micro spikes, but then again I recommend them for all winter hikes. Hiking without traction in the winter is just plain irresponsible in my opinion. You just never know when you will run into dangerous ice. Better to have and not need, than need and not have as the saying goes. It gets really windy at the summit, so definitely dress in layers and anticipate that the top will be cold...regardless of the conditions as the bottom.

Great little easy hike. View from the summit is pretty!!

icy

We Planned to hike Mt. Pierce on 12/27 but it was freezing rain and super foggy so we checked in at the Visitor center to get some recommendations. This turned out to be a beautiful hike. We didn’t miss out on the amazing views as the whole hike was below tree line. The last 20 minutes of the hike was very icy. I would not hike this trail without micro spikes but we saw a few people who did. Happy trails!

Short and sweet hike. Amazing view with minimal effort. Highly recommended!

I loved this hike. Extremely beautiful in the winter with the snow. The trail is a little narrow but it was like walking through a magical winter forest. The incline is gradual and not too bad at all. The view from the top is breathtaking. Surely worth the 1.6miles up.

Great little hike! Rated as moderate but is easy with gradual incline, not steep at all. This would be good for kids.

Fantastic trail with an excellent 12% average grade (according to Strava) that ends with an amazing view of surrounding peaks with the most notable being Mt Washington. Recommend stopping at the Omni for a refreshment.

Very easy hike. Hiked trail 12/26/19 was like walking on a side walk. Spikes should be used.

icy

Trail icy in many spots, definitely need to wear something on your boots like micro-spikes this time of year. Beautiful 180* view at the top for minimal effort.