Mount Whiteface and Mount Passaconaway Loop Trail

Mount Whiteface and Mount Passaconaway Loop Trail is a 10.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Wonalancet, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I did not do the loop in this map, we went up the Blueberry Ledge Trail across the Rollins Trail and Down the Dicey Mill Trail.
It is a difficult trail but manageable if that makes sense. There is rock scrambling as you approach Whiteface but we were fortunate to have dry rocks, I would imagine it being difficult if it was wet or icy.
The weather in the morning was slightly muggy for 50degrees, when we got to the rock scrambles it was starting to get windy which was refreshing and the sun was poking out through all the clouds. We got some amazing views. As we started to head to Passaconaway the wind was bringing more cloud coverage and we were in the clouds for that summit which is fine as we got the great views at Whiteface. As we started to head down we had a mini overlook where you could see the cloud line and the foliage below. It did start to rain as we made our way down Dicey Mill but because that section is predominately covered we weren't getting too wet. We did bust out our rain jackets and bag covers right before the end of the trail as it started to get heavier.

I would hike this again but probably only do Whiteface as there was more to see especially after the 1st rock scramble.

Parking was fine when we got there but when we walked back to our car it was VERY packed. Glad we start early.

As we drove out their were 2 moose in an open field (male and female) so we had that opportunity to hang out for a second and admire their beauty.

Hard but wonderful trail with lovely vistas. Mainly forest. A few scarce options to put up your tent. Dogs allowed on trail. Some parts are quite steep. Be aware that there are several other trails not indicated here: so read signs carefully to not take the wrong trail or enjoy getting lost switching between trails like I did and making almost two loops.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

There are a variety of trails in this area accessible from the most idyllic parking area hands down! These range from an hour or two to a full day or two. We chose to hike to Mount Katherine, and enjoyed an easy and leisurely paced walk through field and woods to a nice rewarding view at the top. Easter Egg: find the frog pool.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Blueberry Trail is a moderate to difficult trail. Very steep in some areas and some scrambling is required as you reach the south (false summit)..with spectacular views.. continue on another .3 miles to the actual summit marked only by a cairn. This trail can be done in (approx) 6 hours, however , we chose to rest often , enjoy the vistas and talk with other hikers making our hike 8 hours..a challengindg , but awesome day !

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

I took the Blueberry Ledge trail and summited Whiteface, went over to Passaconoway, and made my way down. They were my first 4000 footers, and I've been hooked ever since!

Sunday, September 16, 2012

We took the Blueberry Ledge trail which is the shortest trail to the summit, 3.9 miles out and back. It starts at the parking area on Ferncroft Rd. You walk from the parking area to the end of the dirt road to reach the trailhead. The hike starts off easy and is a slight incline for the first 2 miles. You will then come to a long stretch of stair climbing that come in/out of trees that offer beautiful views of the lakes region. The last part of the hike is challenging with steep rock ledges where scaling is involved. You will reach the top of the ledges, but this is not the summit (a beautiful stopping point to have lunch). You need to continue on the Tom Wiggin trail for .3 miles. The summit is wooded and it is not officially marked, just a pile of rocks on the right of the trail. This trail is not recommended in wet or icy conditions. I took my dog however he struggled on the ledges and is extremely agile, so I would not recommend it for most dogs. There are beautiful views just below the ledges if you're not interested in reaching the summit.