Mount Whiteface and Passaconway Loop

Mount Whiteface and Passaconway Loop is a 10.4 mile loop trail located near Ferncroft, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

This is a fun loop hike deep in the White Mountains to two wooded summits but with ledges and various viewpoints along the route the hike is well worth it. The trailhead is beautiful and the trails are pretty well maintained. Climb Whiteface through the Blueberry Ledges Trail (you can take the Blue Berry Ledges Cutoff as well, it merges into the Blueberry Ledges anyway). Up until the last half mile you will be immersed in deep forest. Beautiful brooks and small falls next to the trail. Not too many ledges or blueberries until you get close to Mt. Whiteface. The last half a mile climbing Mt. Whiteface is rather steep but short. You will be rewarded by beautiful views to the west. Continue northeast into the Rollins Trail which will hit the intersection with the Dicey's Mill Trail. If you take this trail north (left) you will hit Mt. Passaconway. Although that is the mountain top, you may want to walk a quarter of a mile north to the view point. Turn back through the Dicey's Mill Trail which lead you down to the trailhead where you started.

Difficult hike but worth the views from Whiteface. Some good rock scrambles too.

Great for people. Not great for dogs. My lab could not make the top of whitehead and 85lbs is too much for me to carry up. We turned around. Have to go back without the dog.

This is a great hike! Beautiful trails lead up to a wonderful summit. The rim trail around the ravine is great too, you get an opportunity to peak out every once and awhile to see the area. Then you get the bonus of summiting Passaconway too. A great day all around, the Whiteface summit was the highlight for me.

New hiker here! We did blueberry ledge up to mount whiteface and camped right by the trail with some new friends we met! the trail up was pretty easy until the rock ledges. I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to rock ledges and for me it was a bit scary with a 30 lb pack but I did it with some assistance (again I'm a newbie) but the view was amazing especially at night. next day we did the ridge to passaconaway which was easy and went to the passaconaway summit which wasn't too difficult but the way down had a few steep spots which was made a bit more difficult with pouring rain but we did it. We wanted to camp another night so we took Walden trail to old mast road. Walden had a tricky spot that needed some better markings and had a few steep spots which again were made more difficult due to the pouring rain. Overall I would say it was a moderate to difficult hike (especially if it rains) but very rewarding.

The trail needs better markings.

View at the top was beautiful, but slightly tree-ed in. Had to climb over only a few trees, as a storm had recently gone by. Did some scaling while at the top, followed the trail until it stopped at a tiny cave below my feet, in which were about 10 different animal bones! I salvaged what appears to be a Moose Jaw!! Washed it up and it is hanging on our porch as a reminder of just one of my many adventures. Great trail! A little tricky at the top. Until about 1/4 of the way through it's mainly flat, then it goes to high stepping rocks/roots, and the last 1/4 of the way is mainly large open rock faces that you can walk across or scaling up a bit of rock.

Great hike! Only reason for the 3 Stars is there isn't much of a view at the peak because it's in a wooded area. It's hard to tell when you're at the Passaconway peak or if you should continue further

Whiteface was lots of fun and had some great views on the way up. the summit isn't marked and is wooded. The hike over to Passaconway was easy, also a wooded summit and didnt notice a sign for it. Make sure you hike down the "to view" trail to get one of the only ok view from Passaconway. Very little water on this hike so pack enough for the whole hike.

fun hike we camped up top nice views