Mount Washington via Lion Head Trail

Mount Washington via Lion Head Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Jackson, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 4,166 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Hiked to Mt Washington summit via Lion Head Trail September 10th 2019. The ascent took me 3 and a half hours including breaks. Descent via Tuckerman’s Ravine took 3 hours total. Great hike, great views and had the privilege to see a mother moose and her calf a half hour into the hike!

The descent was challenging with snow and ice in the higher elevations, but winds and temp were moderate.

Whoever thought this was best used in during the "Summer" is horribly wrong. This is a winter route that specifically avoids the risks of avalanche present on the other routes. The trail keeps to the trees and out of the wind until you are over half way (not counting the fire road) and makes a great descent route by glissade. This is not a difficult climb, it is however one that requires you to know what you are doing and to prepare appropriately. I have been up this at least 11 times during the winter and took full -40 gear each and every time. I have seen 100mph+ winds and windchill well below -40 and sunny windless days on the summit just below freezing... do not underestimate this mountain... go with someone experienced and it can be the Alpine experience of your life.

Best views! Very difficult going up loins head but it was worth it. Its hard to predict the weather up there but if you do it just right, its pref! Started at 10:30 and ending the hike at 5:30 Went up tuckermans trail, lions head, washington summit and then down tuckermans revine.

Hiked up this morning. A serious thigh burner up steep inclines of fields of rock. Feels like your on the moon. Moving slowly, it took us 4 hours and 40 minutes from the Pinkham Notch visitor center to the summit. Great views, but you have to work very hard for it. It was 45 degrees when we started, and I wish I wore shorts. It was short sleeve weather top to bottom. Next time I’ll pack my layers.

A demanding and incredibly rewarding mountaineering route for Winter. I got the last parking space at JD at 8AM. Took Tuckerman to Lion’s Head all the way to the top. Wore all my gear, and needed it. A little cold for the extremities at times, but could have been worse. Temps in the teens and winds up to 30-40 up top. Incredible day that I’ll remember forever.

My wife and I attempted this in March. We planned this hike several months in advance and trained ourselves by climbing stairs. We rented hiking gear (boots + crampons + ice picks) as recommend. The weather on the day of the hike was good and we set off hiking at 6AM from Joe Dodge. The first part of the hike was fine but when we got to the wall, it became an uphill battle. We made it above the treeline before we decided to turn back. My wife has acrophobia thus, it took us a long time coming down. This trail requires a well trained body and an adventurous spirit. I would like to attempt this trail again after more training.