Mount Washington via Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail

Mount Washington via Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Marshfield Station, New Hampshire that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked this trail on 6/16 with my 12 year old son in 4H10M. It was absolutely incredible with fantastic views. the weather changes dramatically above the treeline and went from 75 at the base to 38ish at the Summit with winds at a sustained 50 MPH. We ended up taking the Cog down as my son was exhausted, but certainly a Top 5 outdoor experience for us.

Just hiked this trail yesterday and it was amazing! The views were spectacular, and the weather ended up being fantastic! I will definitely be coming back to hike this trail again.

Not as tough as I thought it would be and the views are more amazing when you hike it rather then drive up it i feel because you have that sense of accomplishment to go along with it!

I just recently hiked this trail in the wintertime and there were (surprisingly) fair conditions at the summit. Washington is known for being home of the world's worst weather so it's extremely important that you constantly check the weather before attempting this climb in the winter. Also, proper gear is crucial!! Be sure to check out Eastern Mountain Sport's Mount Washington winter hiking gear list online so that you know what to bring. Extra layers are a must. Be safe out there!

Love this trail! Really beautiful views from the hut to the summit! Was easier up than we anticipated, the way down we were pretty tired by the time we hit the gem pool. Highly recommend this hike for your first time up Washington.

My girlfriend I took the plunge into hiking this past weekend. Neither of us had hiked before. We chose this trail as our first one. It was a beautiful warm Saturday and we went for it We hit the trail at noon after checking to be sure we could get the cog down. The majority of people told us to plan on 5 hours going up. Not knowing what to expect we planned on the 5 hours and the cog coming down, given the amount of daylight available. First part of the trail was easy and we were all alone which was nice. plenty of pretty places to stop along the river. I think we hit the gem pool in about an hour. The trail got real after the gem pool for sure, and things didn't change much for a long time. Steep, steady climbing all the way the lake in the clouds. We ran into a few people along the way. One thing for sure, everyone has their own idea of time and space on the trail. Some people would say we had 2 hours to go, others would say 45 minutes, and everything in between. one couple said we had 45 minutes to the top, then an hour after that a woman told us we had 2 more hours. None of this really mattered to us, people were super nice and we had our own pace going. From the gem pool to the hut was tough, but we had plenty of gas left. We turned the corner and headed for the summit. Beautiful scenery (I'm a landscape photographer) gave us both a fresh outlook heading towards the top. We stopped a few times along the way for photos. it was a perfect sunny fall day, with a light breeze. We kept a good pace going, nonetheless. I'm going to guess that maybe with about a half mile to go, we both hit a wall. I started to slow way down, and by the end I was probably making 5-6 steps before stopping briefly. It kicked my ass at the very end. Total time was 3:38 from the cog parking lot to the summit. What a perfect first time hiking, we are hooked.

Had always wanted to hike Mount Washington and chose this trail as my first experience in mountain hiking.. . This trail was as much as a challenge as I expected and more.. Conditions were rainy and due to an early snow fall the streams that needed to be crossed were up a bit, this along with wet and windy weather made some of the rock climbing a bit more difficult. All in all a great experience and one i would highly recommend. Gained a greater respect for hiking and the people who enjoy it. Love the Outdoors !

The first mile of this trail was actually quite easy, until you reach the gem pool. As you turn the corner you now realize how steep and how hard this trail is. It's actually quite a steep ascent and it never seems to end. There is moderate rock scrambling in sections but not very difficult. Overall it was a great time very long and very tiring. A must have on the bucket list. You should take the Jewell trail down or the COG.

We hiked this on the most beautiful day. The views were absolutely incredible! It was definitely a full workout but was totally worth it all! Can't wait to do it again!

Very fun trail and amazing views. Gets pretty darn steep and can be quite slippery. Summit climb gets pretty rocky and fun. Incredible change in climates from base to summit. Goes from rain forest to tundra

A great trail with gorgeous views! Definitely a challenge (my sister didn't love it as much as I did) because some parts require scrambling up sheer rock. You'll need to to use both hands to climb certain parts. I recommend strong knees for this trail. It follows the river all the way up to the Lake of the Clouds hut where you can use the bathroom and refill water before continuing to the summit.

I did this guided hike late in the winter. The views were almost nonexistent, except for a brief instant the clouds broke and we could see the summit as we were just entering the alpine zone. It's a completely different world when the wind gets howling and the visibility is about 10 yards. It has the feel of a much larger mountain due to the notoriously bad weather in the Whites. Crampons were a must, along with trekking poles. We had ice axes but did not need them on this particular day.

Got on the trail around 7:30. A little wet and slippery but not too bad. Easy start with a steep incline in the middle. Once you get past the Lakes in the Clouds hut it becomes just a fun trek to the summit over rock rubble. Got to the top in 2.5 hours. Cold and windy at the top, glad I brought a sweatshirt. Great views along the way and at the summit.

Great scenic trail. a little steep in spots but certainly doable for anyone in good shape. could be tricky if wet, but not too bad. Actually did up to lotc hut then over to mount monroe then over Franklin , up Eisenhower then back down Edmands. hitchhiked back to car. a great hike and highly recommended if u already did Washington as a standalone.

Rigorous and challenging hike.
Great views everywhere!

Excellent hike with great view of the gorge and waterfalls from short side trail

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Great trail. Nice and easy walk the first mile or so then up and up! Beautiful cascades and water falls all the way up till lakes of the clouds. One of my favorite hikes now.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

6.9? From the USFS parking lot it is 9miles round trip. 3.1 to AMC cabin, and another 1.4 to the summit of Mount Washington. otherwise, great hike.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Hiked this last year (2016) in early June. One of the best hikes I've ever been on. Lots of beautiful waterfalls and scenic overlooks.