Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Mount Tecumseh Trail

Mount Tecumseh Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Waterville Valley, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, downhill skiing, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

The smallest of New Hampshire's 4,000 footers (standing at 4,003 feet tall) sits adjacent to Waterville Valley Ski area. A lovely hike to do during any season! Follow the trail 1.2 miles to a view point then another 1 (steep) mile to the cross trail between the Tecumseh Trail and the Sosman trail. From there, the summit is 0.3 miles away. There are limited views, but it is still beautiful!

Great hike! Monorail still present on a couple spots. Prefect views and weather

Not too bad for a 4000 footer. Perfect way to break in my winter legs. I brought my dog and we had a great time. Definitely recommend spikes for the way down for the monorail that starts after about 3/4 mile.

Super nice hike today. We were happy to had brought micro spikes. It’s definitely doable without, but a lot easier with them. Not too crowded either. My first 4000 footer in the books.

Lots of snow and ice you have been warned. Easy hike though.

fun hike with a nice easterly view at the summit. spikes recommended as trail is all snow halfway up on 5/12/19

will want microspikes or snowshoes when snow is present

Just finished, being crampons, lots of snow on the trail, little sketch but My ladyfriend and I were able to do it without. Buying crampons as I type. Nice hike though

As others have stated... Monorail is breaking down. Still recommend spikes & poles!

Monorail is starting to break down. Tough going in some spots. Definitely still want to use spikes.

Great trail, first half is dry and second half is stable monorail. Monorail gets narrow in sections and trail gets STEEP!

It was a great run. Still Iced over top mile and a half. Tough to navigate foot work in a few spots for running

Narrow at points with deep snow just off the beaten path (post-holed many times)! Definitely more slippery on the way down (about 3pm) but was much better than I expected.

Pretty steady the whole way up! Glad we brought spikes and poles.. definitely necessary! Nice view at the top!

Still need spikes. Monorail is slippery. Steep AF

The hike was all in all pretty good! I'm really glad I brought my spikes, especially on the way down. It would have been incredibly difficult without them. I wish I had brought poles too. There's a lot of snow and ice left but it's pretty well packed down and I only post-holed twice. I'm guessing it'll get more difficult/dangerous as the snow melts in the next couple of weeks. One of the river crossings was precarious but doable. Took about an hour 45 to get to the top and about an hour back down.

Water levels too high

Started at 9am. Trail pretty packed with snow, micro spikes and poles all that were needed. Initial part of the trail was pretty easy the last 1/3 was extremely steep a progressive climb that is very strenuous. Short hike- up and down in 3 hours minutes with a break at the top.

Steep as fuck

First ambitious hike of the year. Snow was very nicely packed minus looser powder towards the top. I am not in great physical shape, and this was an extremely challenging hike for me, though ultimately do-able. Would not have made it to summit without microspikes and poles. Limited views but still very peaceful at the top.

Hiked on 3/7/19, very cold 9 degree day. Gradual climb until the ski viewpoint, then you’re straight up from there. Definitely gets the heart pumping. Just used microspikes, it would’ve been nice to have poles. Trail was nice and clear, great view at the top!

Hiked 3/3/19 with my 11 year old. Like other comments 1st mile is gradual and typical of what you would expect on any trail. The second mile is a slog. It's straight and moderately steep. No switchbacks, turns and very few small level spots. Last half mile at ridgeline is the easiest. I can't imagine going down without poles and at least microspikes. The other two groups we saw went up in snowshoes but one switched out for spikes going down. The second mile going down was just as relentless going up. I would imagine this trail is better in the winter. The packed trails almost felt groomed. There is nothing technical about this trail. No scrambles, boulders or climbing. Views are great at the top and you do get some sights through the trees on the way up but I assume they would be obscured in the summer. Overall great trail.

The beginning was gradual, then as you get nearer the top; right after the “view” where you can watch the skiers and snow boarders, it becomes such a steep incline straight up. You zig-zag a bit like this until you reach the summit. The view was appreciable. Then took the same route back and snow-sledded back down on majority of the parts. Exhilarating and totally worth the climb up. Very beautiful.

Steep incline for the second half but definitely worth it! Beautiful hike

recorded Mount Tecumseh Trail

It was classic Tecumseh, aka a nice walk though the woods and then the classic slog upwards. Great conditions for but sledding though, and the monorail was in decent shape. Maybe one day, I’ll remember to turn the recordings off when I get back to my car

Just went on February 4th. It’s was unseasonably warm, so the snow had started to melt near the top. The first half is relatively mild incline, but the second half was much more difficult; it was far steeper the rest of the way to the peak. Additionally, I unfortunately experienced thick fog about two thirds up, which continued to the peak and eventually turned into light rain. Sadly the view was completely obscured, but the view from the lookout about halfway up was beautiful! It was a great workout and ended up being a good indication of hiking preparedness! I’m just glad I had a thicker outer layer or else I would’ve been freezing and soaked through. I saw others about 50/50 in snowshoes versus spikes. I had spikes myself and had absolutely no problem! All in all, it was a nice, short little challenge. Would recommend!

This is a great hike, the only reason I'm giving it 3 stars is because it does not have the seclusion and serenity that I love about other mountains. Of course this is expected though because it is at a ski resort! As many others have noted, this is a good beginner hike since it is a short trail and a short 4000 footer. But do note—it gets steep. The first part weaves its way through the trees over some streams. About halfway up there's a split where you can go to the left for a lookout over a ski slope and nice view. From this point on it's a straight steep hike up for a while running parallel to the slope. Then once again you weave yourself through the woods to reach the summit. There is a 180 degree lookout at one point where you get a great view of many of the White Mountains especially on a clear day when you can see far to Mount Washington. You can walk to other parts of the summit to get views in other directions. There were friendly red squirrels at the top (: *On my hike on January 26th, it ranged from 0-20 degrees and I saw about half the people wearing snowshoes and half wearing microspikes. I had no trouble in my spikes. Total moving time: 2hrs 33mins