Mount Tecumseh Trail

Mount Tecumseh Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Waterville Valley, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, downhill skiing, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

The smallest of New Hampshire's 4,000 footers (standing at 4,003 feet tall) sits adjacent to Waterville Valley Ski area. A lovely hike to do during any season! Follow the trail 1.2 miles to a view point then another 1 (steep) mile to the cross trail between the Tecumseh Trail and the Sosman trail. From there, the summit is 0.3 miles away. There are limited views, but it is still beautiful!

Difficult at times with a very rewarding view up top.

Great trail! Well marked and in great shape. Be prepared for lots of stairs. Based on the suggestion of others we came down the ski trail. We maneuvered our way down the si trails instead od the road to avoid the gravel Great views and lots of beautiful wildflowers to enjoy on the walk down!

The way up was moderate, and there was a lookout point about halfway up to see the skiing trails. We decided to take the ski trails down. They were very scenic, but make sure you keep paying attention to the road because it is very easy to slip on loose rocks. Also, the road seems like it goes on forever. At the bottom of the road, there is a roped off area to the left which is a short cut to the base lodge. Don’t take the road to the bottom thinking that it will be easy, but i think the road is a better alternative than going down the trail.

I was so happy to see how clean and beautiful this NH trail was.I really enjoyed it and the feeling of being immersed in the beautiful wooded environment. Everything was very green, and there is a lot of moss, rocks, rocks to step on, diverse ground cover, occasionally slippery due to recent weather conditions. I can not compare the difficulty, views or other details as it was my first one in many years, and I was with experienced hikers who knew where they were going. I could see some paint markers on the trees along the way that looked clear.

#1 of 48
Let the quest begin

A steep climb and beautiful views at the top!

We started this hike around 9:15am, with our two dogs. The ascent took about an hour and a half with a few breaks for views and water. We reached the summit just before 11. The dogs had no issues with the climb, and had plenty of energy to spare for the descent. The view from the summit was nice, but obstructed for the most part. Based on the advice of a few others hikers, we took the ski trails down the mountain. The views from the slopes excellent. We reached the lodge just before 1:30pm, making this about a 4 hour round trip hike. Would definitely recommend for anyone who wants get a 4000 footer on the books. Only about a 2 hour ride from Boston, great for a day trip.

I have gotten mixed reviews about this hike, but I happened to really enjoy it. The forest is beautiful and serene with very few crowds, even on a summer weekend. The views from the summit are excellent, you can see the Sandwich, Presidential and Pemigewasset Range from the summit. This is probably a good first 4000 Footer for people who are getting started. The trail itself can be steep but not technical at all. We hiked up this and went down Sosman Trail to the ski area. My advice would be to do this as an out and back trail, the ski area is not good for hiking.

The snow has cleared. It was a beautiful and challenging hike.

I did this hike today May 9, 2018. It was extremely icy and still has very deep snow which kept breaking and going all the way up to my thighs and cutting my leg the whole way. I think this hike would be amazing when all the snow melts but it was very hard today and almost not enjoyable. I am an avid hiker so is the girl I went with but it was still very hard because of the soft snow and ice. It’s also at least 3.1 in AND out, according to my tracker I did over 8 miles. Just a heads up.

This is not a hike to do in spring season. Very very slippery and dangerous even with crampons. Trail is very steep and there is a nice waterfall at the bottom but other than that it is quite average. Not my favorite.

Great family hike

Incredible day on Saturday for a hike. The view from the top was crystal clear and the trail was packed and a bit slushy. Would highly recommend doing this before all the snow melts over the next week or so. Great little hike. Didn't use spikes or snow shoes.

For a short distance to the top of this 4k you will be packing a punch, it is quite steep, but the path is well-marked, no issues with that! Need microspikes, the snow was melting in a lot of areas though so it was REALLY slippery, I gotta say this mountain surprised me with how hard that last part was, it just keeps going up and up and with melted snow well..... I was extra slow! View at top was amazing and worth it and the decent was a breeze!

A beautiful day, and no regrets. Definitely would rate this a moderate trail. A little slushy down bottom, but not muddy yet. A steady incline for most of the trail. It firmed up enough where we could use micro spikes and not do any damage. You can tell this trail is used by a lot of casual hikers. Lots of post holes and doggy presents. It’s all good, glad to see people taking time to enjoy the mountains. I prefer a little more solitary experience myself, but it was a pleasant day with friends and sunshine. And we got to check a 4K off the list, so happy Easter and happy trails!

Based on other reviews and the description I thought I was going to have to break the trail. This has seen a lot of traffic and I even passed about 20 people. I'd still say use snowshoes and if you are winter hiking you really need them. I mention that because of all the foot holes in the trail. But yes, a good hike, but not worth doing again.

Great day for a hike! The trail is perfectly flat snowpack right now. Hiked in winter boots with micro spikes, which was perfect. No ice, just a nice smooth trail the whole way up!! Hiked with 2 dogs, 1 hr 10 minutes up, 45 mins down. Great views of snow capped presidentials in the distance. Passed a couple of people in snow shoes and one guy skinning up.

Hiked this one in December during the beginnings of a storm. Majority of the trail was unpacked snow roughly 10-12 inches in depth. Even with spikes the descent was tough, limited reward at the summit due to visibility. Great workout and a good story to tell nonetheless.

Damn, but that last mile was a killer.

This was my very first hike ever, and I didn't quite expect a 30°-45° ascent to get to the summit. But I did it, so I guess that makes me a hiker now.

It was beautiful, though, what with meandering streams and everything covered in snow. The weather was perfect, sunny and in the low 20s. Spikes are essential.

Traction needed!

At least spikes and snowshoes aren’t bad for a the descent but not necessary. Awesome short trail, gains about 2k in elevation over 1.5 miles so it can be tough if you’re not used to it but it’s nothing scary and the summit and hike back down is breezy and lovely!

A great trail, pretty much steady uphill the whole way with a couple pretty steep areas. There’s not a wide view at the summit but you can see pretty far in a limited arc. Washington and the Southern Presidentials were snow-capped and looked great, and Tripyramid was pretty imposing about 5 miles away.

Bring spikes, you’ll need them. It got snowy maybe 3/4 mile up on Nov 25.

Nice trail overall not too much too see at the top but the 1 mile stretch straight up can be difficult if out of shape!! Spikes are a must , especially for coming down with the snow cover..!!

Good winter hike! The straight up for a mile was a bit killer, but we are still beginner hikers. Beautiful scenery hiking up the trail with the cozy snow covered pines.

Great 4 Seasons hike today 11/25/17. Just enough snow dusting and ice to fill in some of the rocket. Steady hike straight up, no switch backs. Just over 2 hours up and 1.5 hours down. Small view at the top.

What a great winter hike. Not too icy but still a slippery challenge. Pretty fast up and back. One sided view that is beautiful!

Wasn’t prepared for snow on the ground, but it made it even better. Constant climb. Great workout.
1 hr 45 to summit, 1 hr 15 to come down.
If you start at Waterville Valley Ski Resort, try to park at Lot 1, that’s where trail head is located.
Tripoli Rd is closed during the winter months (starting in November) after the Ski Resort (going west). If you’re coming from I-93 exit 28 and then 49, getting here is not a problem. The other trailhead starting further west on Tripoli road is accessible via exit 31 with exception of winter (November til April) as Tripoli Rd is closed. Again: trailhead on Tripoli Rd NIT accessible in the winter.

The trail was closed today! Please be warned. We headed over to Osceola but it was disappointing to not hike where we planned.

This is a hike I did in the early part of Winter. It was a milder winter, and the trail was less snow-packed than I would have expected. My sister, her boyfriend and I were ok with standard waterproof hiking boots and didn't need snowshoes. In deeper snow pack, I would say this trail would absolutely require snow boots, and snow shoes would be recommended. It's a fun trail because parts of it run right along the Waterville Valley ski area and you can see the action on the slopes!

Trail starts out relatively flat. The middle section is mostly stairs with a constant uphill grade. Towards the top it flattens out for the last 1/2 mile or so. One viewpoint from the top, and one outlook on the trail.

In my journey to complete the NH48, I like to bring friends along who may not be looking to crush the 48, but who still might like to crush a summit beer with me. Tecumseh did not disappoint anyone! Plenty of parking at Waterville, which was a welcome change from some of the USFS parking lots and the like.