Mount Tecumseh Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Waterville Valley, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, downhill skiing, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

The smallest of New Hampshire's 4,000 footers (standing at 4,003 feet tall) sits adjacent to Waterville Valley Ski area. A lovely hike to do during any season! Follow the trail 1.2 miles to a view point then another 1 (steep) mile to the cross trail between the Tecumseh Trail and the Sosman trail. From there, the summit is 0.3 miles away. There are limited views, but it is still beautiful!

1 minute ago

This trail can be described in one word: STAIRS! I hiked this trail after a morning on the Welch/Dickey loop. This was my first of the NH48 so it was tough on me especially after a full morning of hiking, but the accomplishment that I felt upon reaching the summit was unparalleled! Views are obscured by trees but beautiful nonetheless. I had beautiful summer weather on my side, too. Highly recommended for hikers beginning their exploration of the 4000-footers, but may be underwhelming for more experienced hikers.

Hiked from 8:30am - 1pm. Well packed for almost the whole trail, a few areas of dry, unpacked powder. Microspikes were the perfect traction. Small side trails not packed, would need snow shoes for those. Not too difficult of hike, though there are some steep sections.

Great Beginners hike! Was pretty packed when we went up.

The trail is so well packed that one could do it without any traction at all, but I brought crampons and found them helpful, especially on the steeper sections. I felt like I got a great workout out of it, but it did not feel quite like an inspiring wilderness experience - you skirt a developed ski area, and are also in the trees for most of the hike. There are not many views except from the summit.

Trail was packed well from recent trampers. Snowshoes and spikes never came out. 3.5 hours out and back. Not much on views but still a fun little hike. The resident red squirrel at the summit is quite the friendly fella.

Took us about five hours up and back down with several breaks. A little steep in parts but overall not bad. A little icey towards the top but didn’t even break out our spikes. Good hike for a dog. Our 50 pound hound was able to jump up over every rock on his own and didn’t tire out. There were several other dogs on the trail as well. The only disappointment of the day was the very unfriendly dog at the summit which the owner had off leash and who confronted our dog. The viewpoint halfway up was nice as were the views at the top. The summit is small so probably better on a weekday when it’s less crowded.

beautiful hike. a little snow towards the top, but a great hike for the family.

Good hike - pretty easy - at least as far as the 4,000 footers go. Snow and ice at the top. Wish I’d warn waterproof shoes/boots but at least I had wool socks. The trail was a brook in spots from recent rain. Also there were a couple of difficult brook crossings as the water was high and fast. I assume those crossings aren’t usually as difficult as they were this day.

Nice hike in the snow. Chose this as a quick single peak option due to norEaster. Has a nice wooded Walk. Ok views, pleasant enough. Good hike for those just starting out hiking high peaks.

Better than expected. Nice hike through the woods on a fall day. Great streams.

I went with friend during fall expecting a great fall foliage view. But there is no views on this trail. Even the top is covered by trees.

beautiful view of fall foliage. I would recommend only go to the view point in the middle if you are not interested in the 4000 footer. The view at the top is not as good as the halfway view point.

Not our favorite hike but we’re doing the four thousand footers and is in the list. Pretty much a steady climb that doesn’t let up until you reach the summit. Limited views. Moderate is a good description for this one.
Enjoy

a great hike with impressive views about 1/3 of the way up. there are some small streams along the way. the summit resting area was small and crowded.

Super foggy at the sumit, but I stopped at the view and got to see the sunrise! Lots of stairs leading the way to the sumit, easy to follow with lots of good footing. Lots of construction noise.

Nice trail and for the most part easy to follow. Got mixed up getting closer to the summit. There was a long decent which felt as though we were going down the mountain so we turned back and never got to summit. Wish there was a sign that showed we were heading to the summit at this point. Just wasn't sure so turned back. Should have had my AMC book with me. We hiked the Tripoli road side.

This was a very nice day hike. My husband and I are just beginning the 4000 footers and we have done many other easier mountains. We started at 9:15 AM and finished at 2 PM. We hiked at a moderate pace and stopped several times to take it all in and rest a bit or enjoy the view. Initially we started our descent going down the ski trail, accessed via Sosman trail. I really do not recommend it especially in later summer. The grass was super long and even though we had sprayed for tics we had to flick a few off of us. Also there were several small holes, ankle biter’s, in the trail covered by the long grass. At one point my husband stepped in one and actually fell because we really couldn’t see the terrain well because the grass was so long. There were small areas that vehicles had been going up on the trail to do maintenance so when possible we would walk on those areas to see what we were doing. The other thing is the ski trails are straight down— no variation in terrain so it was actually more difficult and downright painful after awhile— more fun with skis on. I highly recommend going back on the trail and there is varied terrain you can plainly see and no tall grass to contend with. We made our way back to the trail at the viewing area midway. This is a very enjoyable and rewarding day hike . The trails are fairly well mark and Care has been taken to construct rock steps on large sections of trail.

Nice hike. Fist part of hike to first view point is a good workout. Second half of hike to the summit is very steep and feels like it goes on forever. Spend a decent amount of time talking with fellow joker and at some of the viewpoints took under 4hours. Lots of loose rocks. The summit does not have great views.

This was a nice trail. Lots,of greenery, interesting plants and the trail is a combo of soft ground and rocks. Steep in sections, but overall enjoyable. The peak is quite small. Great views.

Picked up the trailhead at Lot 1 of the Waterville Valley ski resort. Hike starts easy enough. Gets tough once you’re almost a mile in. It climbs steep from there on. Lots of stairs that can be punishing in spots. Summit is small but has an intimate feel to it with a nice view. Bring lots of water!

Moderate for a 4,000 footer. Staircase is a killer. View was much better than reviews.

Decided to do this one to check off my second 4000 footer. Unless you are tall than the views are very limited. The beginning was not too steep but as it continued on further it had increased in steepness but also had lots of stone steps to make it a bit easier. I actually did not think it was marked well in the very beginning or in the very end but on the main trail in the middle it’s pretty obvious. I don’t know if I’ll do this one again but I’m glad I did it anyhow and it was a nice day and overall a nice hike. BTW- The summit is extremely small and seems even smaller when there are other hikers up there with you. Nonetheless, a great workout! Got it done in under three hours and probably could’ve done it in 2 1/2.

This hike ended up being a little more challenging than expected but still enjoyable none-the-less. Killer work on the legs and was shakey half way through coming back down (For a 26 yo in decent shape). DEFINITELY bring tons of water! Between two people we drank 3 bottles each just going UP. This was on Wed, July 4. Not many other hikers on this trail. Limited views at the top but still beautiful. The reason I gave this hike 3 stars is because when my boyfriend and I were at the top we read 2 signs to hike back down and we chose the sign leading to “Ski Area Parking” because we were parked in the Waterville Valley Ski Area parking lot. However, this trail actually lead us down the backside of the mountain and popped us out onto Tripoli road where we were about 6 miles from our car. When we looked at the sign at the bottom of this trail where we popped out it then showed an arrow pointing back up the trail we just came from that said “Ski Area Parking 5.6 mi.” We were tired and frustrated that the signs were confusing but we also should have gone back down the same trail we came from in the first place. The signage could definitely be more clear though. So we had to hitch hike back to our car and luckily some very friendly people camping on Tripoli road gave us a lift. We did however find that the camp sites on Tripoli road were really awesome and secluded from the next campsite enough to feel like you were out in the wilderness. I would definitely camp there! Overall it was a great hike with just the set back of coming down the backside of the mountain to where the back country ski trails are located. I think it took about 4 hours total hike (not including the ride back to our vehicle).

crossed another 4k of the list but can't say this is one I would do again. not a challenging hike but very limited views for a 4k..

This is a good trail that I would divide into two sections. The first mile or so is moderate, however, the rest of the 1 1/2 miles is a tough uphill hike. It seems every time you look up it is just another endless stretch of incline! I was pleasantly surprised at the summit as some of the reviewers seemed disappointed. It had nice views, but was small. As someone already stated it was crowded on a beautiful Saturday morning. The descent is much easier, just watch your footing. It took us about 3 1/2 hours with a few breaks and a 15 minute stay at the summit. Definitely worth the trip.

Fun 1/2 day hike, we went up through the ski resort (Waterville Valley) parked at lot 1, trail head in directly behind, up and back in about 5 hours with a few stops for views. Moderate trail, once the climbing starts it gets fun, lots of steps, well maintained and blazed trail.

Challenging and scenic way up to the summit. Lots of stairs and rocky inclines. Pretty great views, but a little busy at the summit on a weekend. Took the ski trails back down the mountain but I would not recommend this as it is all tall grass weeds. Checking one off for the NH48.

Out and back to the summit – accurately described as moderate, with steep stretches, plenty of shade, and substantially better views than other reviews on here led me to believe. Really enjoyed this hike and did it in under four hours with a few breaks and a longer pause at the peak. Lotsa hikers headed up on our way down. We started our hike at 6:15 a.m. and reached the summit before 8 a.m.

Not much of a view at the top, I’d already hiked it years ago in heavy rain. Much better today.

Difficult at times with a very rewarding view up top.