New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Mount Sunapee Summit

Mount Sunapee Summit is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newbury, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,469 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A beautiful view of Lake Solitude!

icy

Walk up between the learning center and sports association buildings to the trail. Great hike for the family. Lots of animal prints in the new snow.

Great hike with excellent views at the summit. Some rough spots on trail but all hikeable.

I am 52 years old and have been coming to the Sunapee Lake Region for 52 years. Thanks to All Trails this is the first time I've ever found the trailhead to get to the summit of Mount Sunapee. I have been to the top of Mount Sunapee many many times, frequently hiking the Andrew Brook Trail. But also climbing straight up the ski slopes and sometimes using a chair lift if that's available and running down the ski slopes. I must say the trail is a lot more fun!!! Beautiful trail with young healthy Evergreen and beautiful foliage at this time of year. It was very very very wet. thanks to those who posted how to find the trailhead. It is behind the Adventure Center. Follow the road, bear right and look for a hole in the woods. ps..I still took the ski trail descent - the views are spectacular.

Great trail, strenuous but not unreasonable, with amazing views from the top. Entrance to the trail is behind the adventure club to the right.

Gorgeous hike. being from California originally I was amazed by the fall foliage and I was the only hiker on the trail. . it was dead easy ..summited in just under an hour. in a quirk of fate there was a wedding reception that was going to use the ski lift up to the top and so I was there so he let me go down the ski lift in 42° weather it was absolutely magnificent I felt like the double rainbow guy tears of joy looking at leaves change!

Trail was well maintained. Hardly any bugs the day that we went. Dog friendly. View wasn’t super impressive.

Great hiking day! Maintained trail w/many roots-not an issue as ground was dry. Picnic lunch at summit w/beautiful views of mts and lake. Lots of families on trail and saw one runner. 3+ hours round trip hiking time for us as slow hikers.

Great hike, this was the perfect hike for me. Great trail. People at the bottom were so helpful to get me on the trail. Views were spectacular.

Trail is a bit overgrown and narrow at parts but not hard to keep on the path, some vertical ascents but not too difficult, most of the trail is very covered so you can't see much until the top but the view of Lake Sunapee on a clear day is worth it. The trailhead is behind and to the left of the main recreation building and is marked with a small laminated sign on a post

Completed this in 2.5 hours including time spent at the top. Definitely bring bug spray. The top wasn’t secluded as two chair lifts led to the top and one was running. Cool view of mountain range and ski slopes.

Great hike- mostly vertical while climbing up but does level out in some areas. The trail was clear and beautiful scenery. The start point is not marked well though- we did have to ask someone where it started. We also did see black bear while almost to the top so didn’t get to see the view as we turned and headed back down away from the bear. Afterwards, we were told that there have been several black bear sightings in this area so just be mindful of that if hiking this trail.

amazing first hike of the season no black flies but was mosquitoes used but spray no problem after that

this is a great trail. great views at the top.

Great hike. Foggy conditions today.

Great Hike. Beautiful Weather made it in 2:42 and stopped at the top for a bit as well.

This is a hard trail. Very vertical. The map in AllTrails is not quite correct.

Good all around hike, black flies are definitely out now

I did not initially see any signage for the trailhead and had to ask someone for directions. Once I found the sign though the trail was easy to follow and well maintained. There is a nice mix of terrain as you climb steadily to the top. There were tons of spring wildflowers along the way and we did see a number of turkeys in the ski trails. I am sure there are some great views at the top, but on the day we hiked it there was solid fog so there was nothing to see.

5.5 miles in about 3 hours. Snowy at the top and very wet. Couldn’t see a view today.

Went the wrong way at first so we walked a extra mile but super great view and I would highly recommend this trail if you are up for a challenge.