Mount Sunapee Summit

Mount Sunapee Summit is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newbury, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

A beautiful view of Lake Solitude!

4/22/18 Trail conditions were still snowy, some mud but not too bad. It took 90 minutes up at a steady pace. Not a difficult hike but will definitely get your heart pumping. The last mile or so gets pretty steep and somewhat slippery. Would’ve benefited from micro spikes or hiking poles. We brought our boards and skis up and skied down Ridge Run which was completely snow covered. We saw numerous other peopling skinning up the trail.

Great fall foliage hike! 2 miles up took about an hour and a half. Beautiful view of the lakes and trees from the top. We ran back down the ski slopes took about 40 minutes. The doggie loved it. No streams so carry water for the puppers.

Loved the hike - and lake solitude. Serene, peaceful.

Nice hike up to summit the other day. Nothing too strenuous but a good work out. Rainy day so no views at top, or people so the trade off was nice. Close too home I'll be doing again.

Great hike!! Took Summit Trail starting at adventure park. Good trail and rate of ascent. The top is a bit more steep with more roots. Nice view of the lake at the top.

Great hike! We took the summit trail from the base. At the summit, we hiked another mile on the Lake Solitude trail. Round trip..about 3 hours including time to stop for lunch.

First hike in many years, and I'm a little sore today! Narrow trail with rocks and roots. Like climbing stairs all the way to the top. 2 hrs up, quick lunch and pics then down in little more than an hour. Quiet trail, saw only few other hikers.

Have you ever had a trail day where nothing goes right? I had one on Sunapee.

Hiked with both my 5 and 9 year old. This trail in my opinion is on the upper level of moderate. Both children struggled in both duration and difficulty but persevered nonetheless. I had budgeted about an hour and 45 mins to summit based on other reviews and recordings. It took us 2 hrs 45 mins. I dont think it would have been an issue for more expeeienced hikers and I'm including myself in the I inexperienced camp.

Because of our time crunch we didnt spend much time on the summit but from what I saw there wasnt much to speak of due to tree cover. I could be wrong. We didnt look for a vista. Thankfully the ski lift was open and we were offered a free trip down. Which was a life saver because we had a dinner date we would have missed had we descended the trail by foot. This was the best part of the outing.

I should be thankful one thing went in our favor.

This was the second peak we attempted for NH's "Golden Triangle" Sunapee, Kearsarge, and Cardigan. A feat few attempt and even less accomplish.

In all honesty there is no such thing as "NH's Golden Triangle". I made that up to feel better about hiking a useless mountain.

Easy to navigate and gradual climb to the summit under an almost consistent canopy of trees makes for a nice walk in the woods. If you have a dog be careful about hydration, streams were almost non-existent.

Little challenging in places, but a gorgeous view awaits at the top. This one was great for our pup (a mastiff)!

This trail was fun and relatively easy. It did get pretty rocky at some points and there were a lot of exposed roots so I would definitely recommend wearing hiking boots. It only got a little steep close to the top. The views at the top were amazing! I just wish the trail was marked better in a few spots, but for the most part it was easy to follow.

Friday, May 05, 2017

Such a great hike went on a Thursday and saw 1 guy and his dog. So peaceful and so many different types of terrain Wish I lived closer Perfect for a half day hike.

Saturday, January 07, 2017

Incredible view and great hike

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Def worth trying, esp for a 1/2 day outing. Took my dog and we didn't see one person on the way up (on a Weds morning). Met one person at top that just finished monadnock trail (50 miles in 5 days--cool!) The people we saw on the way down were very dog friendly. I had to put him on leash from parking lot to trail start, but after that it was freedom. Prob different on a weekend. Very friendly place and staff at trail head.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

I gave this a four. It was not my favorite hike, the trail is often very narrow and can't walk through without brushing vegetation out of the way. Combined with the horse flies, I don't know if I recommend it to friends.

Why the four star then? Bathrooms at the trailhead, a gorgeous view and a nice shady place to sit (under cover for weather too) at the summit. I'm glad we hiked it, but I don't think I'll go again.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

I enjoyed this hike a lot. The first mile was pretty easy as you slowly incline. The second mile was when the incline got a lot steeper but wasn't difficult as it was like steps with the tree roots and rocks. I went on a really nice 70 degree weather day and didn't see a single person hiking up or down, which was odd but peaceful. I saw a couple people at the summit. Views were absolutely beautiful.

Monday, September 28, 2015

Easy and pretty little hike. Nice places for picnics at the top, around the lake, which looks pristine and is stocked for people who like to fish. Quite a few friendly dogs on the trail. We saw an elaborate set of plastic pipes for sugar maple harvesting near the bottom, which was very cool.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Nice hike
up hill all the way, more like stairs with all the rocks and tree roots
Well worth the hike

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Simply breathtaking. A little piece of heaven.

Monday, November 04, 2013

Really nice views from the top of the ledges overlooking Lake Solitude on your way to the top of Mt Sunapee... or maybe just your original destination.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013

This is a great spot! The white ledges look out over lake solitude - it's beautiful!