Mount Sunapee Summit

Mount Sunapee Summit is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newbury, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

A beautiful view of Lake Solitude!

Easy to navigate and gradual climb to the summit under an almost consistent canopy of trees makes for a nice walk in the woods. If you have a dog be careful about hydration, streams were almost non-existent.

Little challenging in places, but a gorgeous view awaits at the top. This one was great for our pup (a mastiff)!

This trail was fun and relatively easy. It did get pretty rocky at some points and there were a lot of exposed roots so I would definitely recommend wearing hiking boots. It only got a little steep close to the top. The views at the top were amazing! I just wish the trail was marked better in a few spots, but for the most part it was easy to follow.

Such a great hike went on a Thursday and saw 1 guy and his dog. So peaceful and so many different types of terrain Wish I lived closer Perfect for a half day hike.

Incredible view and great hike

Def worth trying, esp for a 1/2 day outing. Took my dog and we didn't see one person on the way up (on a Weds morning). Met one person at top that just finished monadnock trail (50 miles in 5 days--cool!) The people we saw on the way down were very dog friendly. I had to put him on leash from parking lot to trail start, but after that it was freedom. Prob different on a weekend. Very friendly place and staff at trail head.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

I gave this a four. It was not my favorite hike, the trail is often very narrow and can't walk through without brushing vegetation out of the way. Combined with the horse flies, I don't know if I recommend it to friends.

Why the four star then? Bathrooms at the trailhead, a gorgeous view and a nice shady place to sit (under cover for weather too) at the summit. I'm glad we hiked it, but I don't think I'll go again.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

I enjoyed this hike a lot. The first mile was pretty easy as you slowly incline. The second mile was when the incline got a lot steeper but wasn't difficult as it was like steps with the tree roots and rocks. I went on a really nice 70 degree weather day and didn't see a single person hiking up or down, which was odd but peaceful. I saw a couple people at the summit. Views were absolutely beautiful.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Monday, September 28, 2015

Easy and pretty little hike. Nice places for picnics at the top, around the lake, which looks pristine and is stocked for people who like to fish. Quite a few friendly dogs on the trail. We saw an elaborate set of plastic pipes for sugar maple harvesting near the bottom, which was very cool.