Mount Sunapee, Andrew Brook Trail

Mount Sunapee, Andrew Brook Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newbury, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful day. Temp on the 20’s trail was packed firm. Not a cloud in the sky. Lake Solitude was so beautiful.

hiked early this morning to the lake then up to the ledge. some ice in parts especially on the ledge but mostly fresh snow. we broke trail near the ledge. great views and some sunshine

Very nice trail. I went with my wife and our 5 and 6 year old boys. We made it all the way to Lake Solitude. It was very icy, but we were prepared for that. It took us nearly 4 hours up and back. We had lots of fun. I did the Newbury trail on the other side of the mountain. That was longer and seemed steeper. Anyway- I would definitely recommend this trail. We will be doing it again in the summer so we can swim in Lake Solitude. Couldn’t have swam it this trip- could’ve ice skated I suppose!!!!

We attempted to hike the trail today. With snow on the ground the trail is not well marked or marked at all. We walked until we saw a that sign pointed left across the river. The river was quite deep and there was no visible path to cross. We then went off trail and followed along on the ride of the river for some time until turning around.

quite muddy

Took the Andrew Brook trail, was DOPE!

It was a bit muddy, so make sure to have waterproof boots.

Great ups and downs. Had my dog on leash. Trails were a bit muddy some wet spots. Nobody fell. Made out for a good backpacking trip.

I've hiked this trail this past Sunday looking for a moderately easy hike and for some fall foliage. It was good but nothing memorable. I didn't like how muddy the trail was and there wasn't much interesting to see along the way. I do like the constant soothing sound of the running water in the brook and the view from the summit. Much of the summit is still in the treeline so you've got to look for just the few summit spots that doesn't have tree obstructing your view.

I've managed to take a few memorable panorama shots that look over the entire landscape so that makes the trip worthwhile for me. Some reviewers say the summit is not a worthwhile hike. I strongly disagree. I think it's the hike and view from the summit that makes the trip worthwhile.

I took this hike as a random pick of some place to go. The beginning of the trail starts out easy before turning to lots of rock. in some places it resembles a brook bed. The trail was well marked throughout. As soon as you enter the state forest there is a register to sign in and make notes. The foliage was just starting to turn in some spots which made the hike even more pleasant. It gets easier as you near the small lake. Continuing on past the lake to the overlooking cliffs was well worth the additional short walk. Beautiful views over the lake and far beyond. Overall I would say it's a moderate hike but very pleasant.

Long hike! If you continue on to the summit it is 6.8 miles round trip with a 1700’ elevation gain. We did this hike today in 90+ heat with my 8 year old grandson. He was a trooper! The view from the ledge looking over Lake Solitude was beautiful! The hike to the summit was nothing great, just wanted to complete the hike so we did it. If your short on time, I wouldn’t bother to summit but definitely go to the ledge.

This was a good hike but trail was definitely longer than expected- to the lake itself is 2 miles then you have to hike above for the nice look out an back- id say at least 5 miles possibly 6 round trip. Good amount of different things to look a along the hike but very deceiving because around every bend you think you’re almost there but you’re not haha. Not too bad of an incline- doable enough with a baby on your back. Took us slow pokes about 3.5 hrs. Beautiful at the top... once you reach the huge rock above lake just venture out towards cliff and you’ll see the lookout... trail does extend on for a connecting trail.

Very beautiful hike. It was my wife's first hike, it was equally strenuous and pleasant. I would recommend if you are looking for a moderate challenge!

Great family hike with our teens. Trail loaded with various mushrooms and beautiful pond view at top.

Well marked paths. Rocky moderate incline, that our dog could walk. Beautiful streams and views up the hike.

The beginning half is definitely the most challenging, with a lot of rocks and a steady incline. The second half is much easier and beautiful. Make sure to continue up past Lake Solitude to get the view from the cliffs—it’s amazing. And bring bug spray.

Be prepared for buggy conditions this time of year! Well maintained and marked trail, nice views. Took us a little over 2 hours round trip.

Definitely moderate on intensity as initial climb can get rocky, but nice tree cover as I did it on the 4th of July and was fine with the heat. The Overlook of Solitude was the highlight of the hike. Wonderful view of landscape and Lake Solitude. Lastly I walked to Summit of Sunapee and was disappointed, not the best views as the summit is next to lodge and ski run. However definitely recommend the hike to Lake Solitude and the Overlook. Lastly well marked and good signage within the trail if you want to go out a different way.

Spectacular hike! Trail was lightly trafficked and the dragonflies at the pond were numerous. Not a cloud in the sky.

Great hike ! Relatively busy with lots of dogs. Lift was running at the ski area. Great views from the overlook at 2/3 to the summit.

Super fun hike on a mountain with lots of character. Actually decided to take a dip in Lake Solitude. Not very deep and pretty mucky and log strewn on the bottom. :(.

The view from the Ledges were beautiful as were the views from the summit. Great hike.

This is one of the best trails I've been on this a year. Lots to check out and lots of views. Highly recommend.

Love this trail. Takes about 3-3.5 hours. Nice up and down. I take it from the Andrew Brook trail to Lake Solitude, over to the peak of my Sunapee, and down the SRK trail to the lodge at the base of Mt Sunapee. You can also take the ski trails down Mt Sunapee for a smoother go. Lake Solitude is a nice stop over... and the view at the top of Mt Sunapee is stunning (views of Lake Sunapee, Mt Kearsarge and more). Love taking my dog w me.

The trail is in very good shape considering how early in the season it is. With snow covering roughly 60% of the trail, make sure you tackle this short half-day hike with decent waterproof hiking boots and consider bringing micro-spikes. I took my 5 year old black lab out today and she was able to complete the trail with no problems! The view overlooking lake solitude is stunning.

Monday, October 16, 2017

Good half day hike! It is a bit challenging sometimes with the steepness and many rocks. If it has just rained some of the water crossings can be tricky! But great view for the effort put in!

Saturday, October 14, 2017

We hiked this on a beautiful fall day. Not a difficult hike in a beautiful forest setting. Very doable for little kids. Good view of Lake Solitude from ledge that we almost missed. The ledge can get crowded due to the limited viewing space. But if you can find space to sit and enjoy the view, it is well worth it. We continued to Mt Sunapee summit where there is a ski lodge with restroom facilities and good view of Lake Sunapee. Apparently people get up there via ski lifts.

Monday, October 02, 2017

Easy hike. We had lunch at the top Will do again.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Amazing. Wore the dog out! Much of the trail is rocky and those who need sticks to walk might want to take that in to consideration. It is a fabulous hike, and the lake and then the overlook is beautiful. Busy.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

The views are spectacular, a perfect combination of rocky and plain terrain. A must go hike.
The view of the lake from the summit is superb!

Sunday, September 03, 2017

This is the trail to do on Sunapee. A lovely trek with interesting terrain, a babbling brook, and a very rewarding destination. We also continued on to the Summit Trail and then down Newbury Trail. The summit, I imagine, would be great during foliage season. The trip down Newbury has several nice lookouts and a flume slide. Lots of interesting features! The family and I will be back to enjoy this landscape wearing the attire of different seasons.

Sunday, August 27, 2017