Mount Shaw & Black Snout

Mount Shaw & Black Snout is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Melvin Village, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

I did this as a loop trail today. A bit confusing at the start, with NO trail markers. Starts off with logging roads so you follow those into the woods. At one point early on, the trail branches with red blazes on left (Shaw Trail - no sign) and the "Italian" trail to the right with green-red-green blazes. I took Italian trail so I could loop up to Tate (Big Ball) Mtn first. Followed green-red-green blazes up to Tate Mtn with nice views. Then kept going and came upon blue blazes which took me to Black Snout Mtn. Again NO signs or trail markers to note this. Decent ascent to Black Snout with beautiful views to south and east. Evidence of moose too and cool spiral trail to summit and a sign (SO excited to see a sign!) noting summit. Then loop back down the spiral trail a tad to head on wide trail to the north (or bushwack from a kinda trail to the north like I did) onto the wide trail which is presumably Black Spout Spur trail (again NO sign?!) Follow this north to High Ridge trail which takes you to summit Shaw Mtn. You will finally see signs soon... Beautiful views from here to the north and east and a tad bit of snow here today but not icy. Then back track on High Ridge trail down to sign that says "Turtleback Mtn. 1.5 miles". This will lead you to Shaw Trail where you eventually come to a fallen down tree with signs on it and an unmarked trail heading down the hill with red blazes. This is Shaw trail so head on down that... Again no sign, but I promise this will take you back to the parking lot you left from. Enjoy!

Started at the small parking area off 171 intending to ascend the Shaw Mtn Trail. However, there are so many spin-off paths in these woods, I got turned around and wound up summiting Big Ball (via bushwhacking) and from there heading up to Black Snout (on a real trail), and then over to Shaw and down the Shaw Mtn Trail. It's quite beautiful atop Black Snout and Shaw, and with 3" of snow with bear tracks! The hike down Shaw Mtn wasn't great; mainly the footing is challenging. Lots of tennis-ball sized rocks that roll underfoot leaves and make the route feel very "goaty". All in all, a great way to spend 7 miles and 4+ hours, but not my favorite hike ever. PS: my dog LOVED it. Soft snow up top to roll in and very good smells everywhere. One more thing: super-nice people on the trail. Not many, but all really friendly :)

only did first 2 miles with family. my 3yr old daughter pushed as far as she could.
The first 2 miles were great hike. Trails well marked and groomed. definately a moderate difficulty. Pretty steep in parts. Cant wait to go back and finish it

The parking area is very small and not labeled as trail parking. The first half mile has a couple forks in the trail and no clear indication of the right path to take. However they appear to loop back with one another anyway, and most of the trail after that is labeled well with red blazes. Can be a little slippery in October as leaves are blanketing the whole trail. Much of the trail follows a stream which sounds lovely. The ascent is very gradual the first 2 miles and overall isn't very rigorous.

Amazing views from both Shaw & Black Snout peaks. Good Moderate hike. Short steep part.

The trail is narrow and steep at some parts, but it is manageable for people who don't hike mountains regularly.I went on a Saturday in mid September and we only saw 4 groups during our hike, and it was pretty quiet in the woods and there a lot of berries and great views of the lakes from Black Snout and the white mountains from Shaw. We did see a baby bear on our way in too, but it wasn't with its mother and ran away when it saw us.

awesome hike, peaked Shaw as the fog was burning off. then went to Blacksnout. great views at both highly recomended.

more challenging than advertised especially on the descent. from Mt Shaw take the time to hike over to Black Snout and then on to Tate Mt. Follow the blue markings down from there. a steep descent for the first part then leveling off to Tate. From there you have to watch for the green and red markings for the Italian Trail which will take you back to the parking area.

The flies remind me of 'Nam

We had a great day for this climb . Starting out was a little confusing , you have to work your way through the logging road . Keeping the river on your left until you get to the conservation sign, About .4 miles .
We followed the red dot marked trail , it comes to an end at the small river . You will have to cross this and pick it up again . It's clearly marked all the way to the sign where the trails come to a T. The summit was well worth the hike !!

Friday, August 26, 2016

The trail was hard to find at the start because of the logging, but if you keep the stream on your left and look for a few pink markers on the trees, it can be found. (The suggestion of following the pipe also helped.) We went up the Italian trail (red and green blazes). Near the top of Black Snout, you intersect with blue blazes. On the right is a lookout and a trail away from Mt. Shaw. We went left following the blue blazes toward Snout, saw a moose, and continued until we hit the old road. Go right to get to Mt. Shaw and the LRCT signs. Blazes are white. We retraced our steps and took the trail to Mt. Turtleback to the red blazes trail that comes off on the left to get down. Steep going up and a bit gentler going down but a nice loop. Attached some photos of the signs.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Intensive logging operation for the first 0.4 miles from the parking lot (across from Sodom Road). Initially we were going to take the red-green blazed trail (Italian) but it was difficult to navigate the logging equipment and find the trail. We followed the red blazed brook side trail (Shaw Trail) instead. The incline was impressive and a great workout. Views at the summit of Shaw and Black Snout would have been beautiful had low clouds and rain not moved in. After Black Snout we wanted to continue the loop by going to Tate (Big Ball) Mountain. The trail to Tate Mountain from Black Snout was only marked by a cairn near the lookout on Black Snout. It is starting to overgrow with tall grass so we weren't really sure we were on the right trail until we encountered the blue blazes (marked VERY well once on the trail!)

A great hike that has rewarding views.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Started toward Shaw this morning on the Italian trail. Made it as far as the Tate Summit when I encountered a black bear. He took one look at me, grunted, and ran off. Continued toward Black Snout, when the weather started turning ugly. Back-tracked to the parking area just before the storm set in. I plan to continue to Shaw when the weather improves.

Great trail, but it looks like the beginnings of a logging operation just before the Shaw Trail/Italian Trail split.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

The views from the top of Mount Shaw and Black Snout were definitely worth the sometimes challenging hike! As a new hiker, some of the steeper inclines with lots of rocks were hard going up and coming down. The trail is pretty clearly marked except for one small part (where I made a wrong turn) that has you traversing the river. Managed to find my way. On the way back down I stopped and stuck my feet in the cold mountain water and it was glorious! Wouldn't recommend with dogs or children due to the difficult incline I described. The small waterfalls at the beginning were beautiful and there is a good little camp site before you get into the conservation area! Will definitely take some friends next time!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Hiked this starting with Tate mountain and then made my way over to Shaw. Awesome hike and even better views! Ran into two groups of people and that was only when I got to Shaw. Highly recommend!

Sunday, October 25, 2015

absolutely stunning views from the summit, trails are well marked but trailheads can tricky to find, this one is across from the Sodom road off of Mountain road in Tuftonboro.