Mount Shannon Trail

Mount Shannon Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Gilmanton, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mt. Shannon, located south of the bulk of the Belknap Range, features views in multiple directions from near its summit.

The actual hike itself is very nice but getting to the trail is not very straightforward and the markers for the trails could use some fresh paint. We ended up just hiking it twice to get back because we couldn't figure out how both trails supposedly could get you back to the parking lot. The boy scouts are so nice and helpful though and the view is great so I would go back but only when the camp is busier so there is someone to ask when you can't find the parking lot.

A friend and I drove almost an hour and a half to hike Mt. Shannon (which we specifically chose because we thought it was over 3 miles-according to this app). You can park at the Boy Scout Administration office (go down the very long dirt road stay to the right when you come to a Y in the road loop around the Big building on your left. you'll go down a little hill take a right and you'll see the administration office) and we had to check in because camp was in service (felt a little awkward being the only 2 females at an all boys boy scout camp lol). The worker messed up the trails. So we took what we assumed was the longer yet less steep side first which defiently was the shorter. The entire loop was only 1.92 so Idk where the 3.x came into play?

Thank you to those reviewers who explained exactly how to get to the trailhead; it would've been very difficult to find otherwise. As others said, very steep in the beginning, but not too bad the second half. Short hike with beautiful views! Follow the yellow trail.

Can someone help I saw another post saying to park at the Boy Scout admin building. And I am will I be towed? And also if I'm facing the lake which way do I then head ?

I hike this trail 4 or 5 times a year. Great views for such a short hike, it's nice in the winter too if there isn't much snow.

Great hike. Met some great Scouts at the top. Did find that tells to red to blue combination brings you over the top, down to the lake, a nice level walk through dark woods, then back up over the top to get back to parking. Definitely will be going again.

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Saturday, November 05, 2016

The trail head was hard to find and it was pretty steep at first but overall was great
Got a little turned around coming down where yellow turns go blue then red
Over all not bad but just be aware the trail colors change.

Monday, October 24, 2016