Mount Shannon Trail

Mount Shannon Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Gilmanton, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mt. Shannon, located south of the bulk of the Belknap Range, features views in multiple directions from near its summit.

Great short hike. I thought it was a little more on the easy side than a moderate level. My five and nine year old did it without complaint and neither struggled at any point.
directions I found most helpful to find the yellow trailhead: park at the administrative building and wall about 1/3rd of a mile north along Lake Eileen (nice road/path). after you walk past the chapel, you can't miss it, there is a clearly marked trailhead on the right. short hike up and then if you'd like a longer, more scenic path down, ar the summit walk in the direction away from lake Eileen and enjoy a long, but nice hike down. a few creek crossings, but we managed to do so without getting wet.

Great trail! The views are amazing.

as everyone has been saying, the trail is not easy to find. we were the only ones at the camp so we were on our own. but the Alltrails app helped out a ton. following the track from the app we walked in the opposite direction of the lake. the beginning part of the hike takes you past the area where the boys camp, bathrooms, frisbee golf, and firing range. follow this until you reach the lake. then the blazes start appearing. I did find that the blazes were marked well. it was buggy but we had a great hike.

Just did this trail, was a little hard to find the trailhead, but the directions given in the reviews were really helpful. Bring bug spray!

The actual hike itself is very nice but getting to the trail is not very straightforward and the markers for the trails could use some fresh paint. We ended up just hiking it twice to get back because we couldn't figure out how both trails supposedly could get you back to the parking lot. The boy scouts are so nice and helpful though and the view is great so I would go back but only when the camp is busier so there is someone to ask when you can't find the parking lot.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

A friend and I drove almost an hour and a half to hike Mt. Shannon (which we specifically chose because we thought it was over 3 miles-according to this app). You can park at the Boy Scout Administration office (go down the very long dirt road stay to the right when you come to a Y in the road loop around the Big building on your left. you'll go down a little hill take a right and you'll see the administration office) and we had to check in because camp was in service (felt a little awkward being the only 2 females at an all boys boy scout camp lol). The worker messed up the trails. So we took what we assumed was the longer yet less steep side first which defiently was the shorter. The entire loop was only 1.92 so Idk where the 3.x came into play?

Monday, July 17, 2017

Thank you to those reviewers who explained exactly how to get to the trailhead; it would've been very difficult to find otherwise. As others said, very steep in the beginning, but not too bad the second half. Short hike with beautiful views! Follow the yellow trail.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Can someone help I saw another post saying to park at the Boy Scout admin building. And I am will I be towed? And also if I'm facing the lake which way do I then head ?

Sunday, May 07, 2017

I hike this trail 4 or 5 times a year. Great views for such a short hike, it's nice in the winter too if there isn't much snow.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Great hike. Met some great Scouts at the top. Did find that tells to red to blue combination brings you over the top, down to the lake, a nice level walk through dark woods, then back up over the top to get back to parking. Definitely will be going again.

Saturday, November 05, 2016

The trail head was hard to find and it was pretty steep at first but overall was great
Got a little turned around coming down where yellow turns go blue then red
Over all not bad but just be aware the trail colors change.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Amazing to hike!!

Monday, May 30, 2016

trailhead was extremely hard to find if you weren't familiar to the area. You have to park at boy scouts admin building then walk along lake eileen for .3 miles and then you'll find the "mt shannon" trailhead on a small wooden sign after a big triangular structure on your right. The hike was fairly short, decent steep for first half. The view from the top was nice in the fact it was very secluded and no one was around. Great alternative to Mt. Major. If you're looking for an easy hike that won't take up much of your day I'd recommend this up up the yellow trail.

Thursday, August 17, 2017