Old Halfway House Trail to White Arrow Trail Loop

Old Halfway House Trail to White Arrow Trail Loop is a 4.5 mile loop trail located near Jaffrey, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

little varaition of going straight up the arrow. little less direct and a great view at 2500 off Rosa

This trail is a little longer than the popular white dot trail but it is much easier. It was my family first major hike so I was glad I chose it. It is easy going for the first mile or so and it is not as steep as the white dot trail which is good for novices.

The trail has much to offer but no where near as good as the white dot trail.

This trail is longer but is easier than the more popular white dot trail. It is better for beginner hiker since it is easy going for the first mile or so and it never gets as steep or as rocky as the white dot trail. The view from the peak is the same but the view along the trail is definitely not as good as the white dot trail. My wife was wearing sandal which I wouldn't recommend but she was able to do it albeit with some difficulty.

My son was 8 years old at the time and this was his first major hike and he had little difficulty. This trail helps boost his confidence when we did the white dot trail and other more difficult trail later on.

Hiked May 28, very overcast day, well marked trail, interesting geology, be prepared for steep climb and scrambling but doable even for inexperienced hiker with some care. Cleared a bit at summit, nice views. Took White Cross back, very different scenery so a nice change of pace. Caught in torrential rain on walk out, scrambles have be very difficult in rain so mibd as water will cascade so mind the weather.

I live near the base of Monadnock. Hiking it over the years, the halfway house way is my favorite. You get a great warm-up as you walk up the dirt road. The trails go in and out of difficulty as you progress through them, but it all makes for the best hike. And the views at the top are so worth it. My favorite place on this planet is up there. Find “Nature’s Recliner” at the top. It’s a rock formation that faces the sunset and is shaped like a reclining chair.

Beautiful hike! Cart trail through the woods to Old Halfway House trail is much more scenic than road trail to Old HH trail. One of my favorite hikes.

I LOVE this trail! Old Halfway House was very easy, but once we got onto White Arrow there was a lot of rock climbing. I personally enjoy climbing up the huge rocks, so if that’s not your thing I suggest you take a different trail. There wasn’t a lot of steep uphill hiking, which was another plus for me. It took two hours to ascend the mountain and two hours to descend - so those huge rocks definitely require some navigating to get back down!

We did a family hike on this trail introducing my 8 years old son to his first mountain hike. The Old Halfway House trail was easy going forest setting but the White Arrow Trail was when things get interesting. It was fairly steep especially in the last mile of the trail to the summit and was very picturesque. Once you past the alpine zone, Mount Monadnock becomes very interesting.

Since the mountain is only about 3,100 feet, you can see all the surrounding town in all of its glory and detail. The day of our hike was picture perfect and I took some stunning panorama from the summit. I will definitely climb this mountain more often now especially when it is just a little over an hour and a half away for me.

Saturday, May 06, 2017

A favorite hike of mine. Nice rest and view at Monte Rosa and a little more gradual ascent to the top of Monadnok

Sunday, August 06, 2017