New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Mount Roberts Trail

Mount Roberts Trail is a 5.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moultonborough, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,332 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Mt. Roberts is the westernmost peak in the Castle in the Clouds complex in the Ossipee Mountains. While the summit features strong views to the north, perhaps the most scenic portion is the ledge area along the Mt. Roberts Trail. The Lake Winnipesaukee views from this section are second to none.

Beautiful trail but conditions were terrible. Lots of slushy, melting snow that made traction difficult even with snowshoes. Spikes were useless. If you go make sure your boots are waterproof. Will be back when conditions improve.

very beautiful out no wind clear views all of the trail.. i can not wait to get back and finish the whole area. trail was well broken in

The first parking lot you'll see is the "hikers only" parking. You'll have to walk down the road a short distance, make a left, and the trail begins to the right of the barn. The trail starts off easy and relatively flat. It's quite straight forward as it's clearly marked and is out and back. I did this in the snow and would rate this was moderate. The first lookout is decent, but be sure as you climb to look back (or see on your way back) the amazing views of the lakes region. Once at the top, you get a stunning view as well behind the Mount Roberts summit sign.

icy

Amazing view! Micro spikes definitely helpful

icy

Beautiful warm day to be hiking this trail. We went bare boot on the way up but close to the summit we put on microspikes. The trail is pretty wide and gradual. Lots of very icy spots but was doable with microspikes and poles. My friend wanted to stop once we got a full view of Lake Winnipesaukee but we continued further to see Mt. Washington. I would say that this is on the easier side of moderate.

12/20/19 Beautiful day with clear skies. We saw lots of others peaks. Brought our snow shoes, but microspikes were more than enough. Be very careful as it is easy to trip over the rocks that are hidden by the snow which are coated with ice. Viewpoints and summit views were gorgeous today. Easy moderate hike. Enjoy!

Definitely a nice hike, a little challenging, but totally manageable. It starts off a little slow/little boring and is difficult right now with all the fallen leaves. The top section is nice, but the summit leaves a little to be desired. You can see Washington on a clear day though.

Mt Roberts trail was a great moderate hike but a bit longer than expected (more like 4 hrs & 6.5 mi). Foliage just past peak but still glorious. Several awesome southwest vistas overlooking Winnepesaukee and the small peak (after a few false peaks) offered a nice glimpse to the north w/ Mt Washington and all. Fair amount of loose rock and roots in trail. Good trail markings (orange blazes). Very enjoyable and uncrowded fall hike in the Castle in the Clouds conservation area.

This great hike with beautiful views. The view of snow capped Mt Washington was a treat.

This trail got great reviews and it did not disappoint. The ledges were fantastic! The summit was ok. Good view of the Sandwich range and you can see Mount Washington but not panoramic. Not a whole lot of room to have lunch either. The ledges on the way up are much better.

no view with the wet cloudy weather but nice well maintained trail.

Well marked. Good conditions. Nice views of Lake w and nice fall views (getting better every day) on the top. Took us a total of 3 hrs including our lunch break.

I went on a rainy and foggy day so no views. Nice trail and well marked!

Love this trail. Beautiful views of Lake Winnipesaukee.

Beautiful views of Lake Winnipesaukee! This trail is very easy to follow and marked by orange blazes/small signs. Near the summit I saw 2 snakes that darted off as soon as they saw me--tread lightly up there! There is also a calf moose skull at the summit sign as of today. Round trip, a little under 3 hours.

This was my first mountain and I fully enjoyed it. Took about 3 hours. The summit does not have much of a view. There are views along the way so utilize those. Blueberries adorn the path. I highly recommend this path for a relaxing hike or for a beginner.

Amazing views of the lakes on this easy - moderate hike. The trail never really gets to steep and is really easy to follow. The blueberries are still out and everywhere. A nice fun hike.

Entirely lovely — nice views of the lake from various points on the trail — with a fairly disappointing summit. A riot or blueberries. Technical trail made for a fatiguing downhill. Totally doable for an 11-year-old and a young dog.

Great 1/2 day hike! Blueberry bushes line the sides of almost the entire trail. Several scenic overlooks offer great vistas of the lakes and surrounding mountains. The summit does not have much of a view but don’t let that deter you from doing this hike. Trailhead is located at the horse stables at castle in the clouds. 10/10 - highly recommend! Start the hike early as this trail can get pretty busy.

Enjoyed our hike up the Mt. Robert's trail. However, when you get to the top, there are no views, so if you want to get nice pictures, take them as the views come on the way up. There were a lot of good stopping places to see the view of the lakes. After reading the comments here, and seeing that many people recommended the faraway trail, that's what we took down. But I was very disappointed with that trail. It's about 6 miles down (rather then the 2.5 Mt. Robert's trail), and there are no views. You're in the woods the entire time and it was very buggy. You also end up walking about 2 miles through tall grass. I wouldn't go down on the faraway trail again, but if you're primarily looking for a flatter way down, that would be the trail for you.

Blueberries galore

Great hike. Came out at 7:00am Sunday and parked by the horse carriage. Saw recent posts about black bears so where I was with my dog I made sure to make noise around each turn. Saw lots of blueberries so happy to report no bear sightings. Saw frogs, wild turkeys and heard lots of noises from the woods. Make sure to enjoy the sights when they are available. The peak was underwhelming, cool sign but no views. Would hike again. Love New Hampshire. Great views of Lake Winnipesaukee!

Great trail - one of my favorites. Very well marked with plenty of scenic views. Nice moderate ascent up Mount Roberts Trail. Descended down Faraway Trail, which was a wider, more cleared, shady, wooded path. Lots of frogs, not too many bugs - just a beautiful hike!

One of our favorite trails. The Roberts trail had a bit of an incline with great views. We took the Faraway trail on the return and it was a wide trail with a gradual decline. The bugs were not too bad resulting in a great day. Highly recommend.

Great trail with a nice balance of inclines and flats. Also, we saw a bear on the way down!

My husband and I really enjoyed this trail. It has a slight elevation gain and 2 great views of Lake Winnipesaukee. The trail is mostly shaded and we hardly encountered any bugs. We did however see some black bears where the blueberries were flourishing.

I absolutely loved this hike! I found it on the easier side of moderate. It starts with a dirt road and flatter wide trail for about half a mile then starts to ascend at a moderate grade. No rock climbing on this hike. You reach the first look out pretty quickly and the views are awesome! Someone coming down saw a bear off the trail during this section- I was thankful not to make the bear’s acquaintance. The second chunk from the first to second look out continues to have amazing views of the lakes and begins to get a little steeper but again very reasonable. You begin to meander along cart paths when you break tree line and there’s tons of wild blueberries and day Lillie’s that are absolutely beautiful! The second look out is where its at! Best view of the whole hike. The summit is a short ways through a narrow wooded path. Summit was cool but the views were “eh”. I ended up back tracking to lookout 2 and stopped there to have a snack and hydrate. I had a slower pace and with stopping for about 15-20 minutes and lots of photo taking this hike took me 3 hours. One of my new favorites! While you’re there check out other parts of Castle in the Clouds. Neat little place