Mount Roberts Trail

Mount Roberts Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Moultonborough, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Mt. Roberts is the westernmost peak in the Castle in the Clouds complex in the Ossipee Mountains. While the summit features strong views to the north, perhaps the most scenic portion is the ledge area along the Mt. Roberts Trail. The Lake Winnipesaukee views from this section are second to none.

Completed this hike on Sunday morning. It was great. True mileage to actual summit is 5.2. I wore snow shoes (first time) and really enjoyed. The level of difficulty was perfect for my first snow snow shoe experience. Took us about 4.5 hours. Highly recommend this hike in winter. With no leaves on the trees you get to enjoy great views for most of the decent. There are several southern view points starting about 1 mile into the hike. The final summit is after a walk through A denser pine forest that was no pretty with the snow and its a norther view of the mountains. Overall a great day, pretty views and only a dozen or so other hikers. However, when we got to the parking lot at the end of the hike around 3 there were several people and several "active" dogs getting readyto hike. We were very glad we finished before they joined the trail. For maximum enjoyment go early and off season, you will love it! Happy hiking.

When we went over Memorial Day Weekend, it was warm, humid, hazy, and the bugs were irritating. However on a clearer, cooler, drier day, I think this would be a great hike. The first overlook (and arguably the best one) is about 1.25 up the trail. Much of the trail ascends fairly gradually on a ridge with excellent views of the Lakes Region. The summit has decent views north towards the White Mountains. On a clear, cool day after bug season, this would make a great hike.

Did this hike yesterday, broke trail most of the way until another person passed us. Easy going for first mile or so, then some climbing to ledges with lots of great views. summit views are somewhat limited. I don't find the spruce forest creepy at all!

A great hike. Not very rigorous, which was especially nice in the winter. Wonderful views of the lakes on the way up. The summit was a little anticlimactic after that, but offers a decent view of Washington.

This hike gives the best views of Winnipesaukee I've seen yet.

Pretty good day hike for families both my 9 and five year old faired well. The first mile and a half have a couple "steep" sections which I think is the only reason its rated as moderate.
There are several rock outcroppings that provide good views of the lake. The last is the best but you are still quarter mile from the summit. The summit is the only part of the trail where you will see something beside the lake and you do get a fairly decent view of mountains north.

We summited and went back to the last lake viewing point to eat lunch and rest.

It might be in your best interest to just stop at the last view point and lie to your friends about doing the whole enchilada. You'll know you've past the alternative peak when you go down into a small creepy pine forest with a narrow trail. You really cant miss it. The trail starts to suck and you'll get that nagging feeling that it isnt worth the effort.

Steady incline, first outlook was gorgeous but the rest of the way up was fog. Summit was small and not a real comfortable eating/resting spot before the descent down. The views along the way and overlooks were the best part of the trail.

Scenic view was absolutely gorgeous!!

So crowded with big groups when we went on a Saturday morning but such beautiful views and an excellent, well-maintained trail. Steady climb!

This is a nicely marked trail that is a good little challenge. Nothing about it is too hard!
There are many views along the way to keep it interesting and stop and catch your breath. After reaching the summit, we actually went back down a bit to a much better view to have our lunch and enjoy the gorgeous October day. Great hike!

It was labor weekend. We started really early. On the way up met 4 or 5 people already going down... It's not steep, moderate trail. Amazing views to Lake Winnipesaukee! Summit was a little bit disappointed - only one side views - to the mountains. Narrow spot so you can't stay longer as it's started to be crowded. On the way down met a lot of people. My recommendation to start as early as possible. Good hike.

Great hike! Moderately steep and not that rocky compared to other hikes in the White Mountains area, so it's on the easier side of moderate. Not so much of a view at the summit, but great views along the trail!

Enjoyed this hike a lot. Great views along the way of lake winnipesaukee but no view of the lake from the top. The walk from the parking area (outside the gate) adds another mile or so as well. Castle in the clouds has a lot to offer in the summer. Definitely worth checking out!

Amazing hike. Three or four viewpoints and a great vibe at the peak.

Great trail...

Great trail

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

probably one of my favorite trials around Winnipesaukee because of the constant and spectacular view points all the way up and then the north view when you get there. Easily linked to a longer Mt Faraway hike or back down the same way.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Beautiful well marked trail. Easy hike with only a couple steep sections in the beginning. Fantastic views along the way.

Friday, September 16, 2016

Great view!

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Great start and summit. The mid section was slippery with loose rocks. Definitely need to watch out on your way down.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Great views from the various scenic overlooks. The summit is anti-climactic with little view and a small sign marking the elevation. Unless you really want to summit, or are looping around to other trails, stop at the last scenic overlook.
I had an equipment failure (never wear new socks!) so that may have made my experience a bit jaded. Downhill was painful with all the rocks...likely made worse by my blisters.
Lots of bear and moose tracks in the mud bear the top, but none spotted.
Not sure if I would do it again and I definitely wouldn't bother summiting again.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

We Hiked Mount Roberts Trail, This was a good hike with nice views of the lake. The summit has a few peek-a-boo views going north. Be sure to look back on your way up and take the spur trail about 1/3rd the way up. great views. Near the top the forest changes from deciduous to all conifer. pretty cool.

Once at the summit of Roberts we were left wanting more as it was a fairly fast hike. I looked at my all trails map and noticed the loop: high ridge down to cold spring trail. It looked promising and returned us back to our car.

It was certainly long, but not much of a Hike. I wouldn't recommend it unless your riding a horse or snowmobile. The high ridge trail/Cold spring trail was fairly flat with long sweeping switchbacks built for jeeps. Would be good for trail running. I was disappointing that it wasn't much of a hike and took forever. Plus there wasn't much views to enjoy as it was heavily forested. I missed the views of the Mt Roberts trail going down.

Friday, April 08, 2016

Great Views, 5.25 miles from the parking lot (not the trail head). There's a viewing area of the lakes about 1/3 of the way up. The trail to that point is very groomed and easy, so would be good for people looking for a view but not wanting to go all the way up.