Mount Prospect Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Holderness, New Hampshire that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,105 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail gets pretty muddy during springtime but it’s great right now. Decent view at the top and an easy path up through pine forests.

I loved this trail so much!! It was foggy and raining heavily so the view from the top will have to be fully seen at another time but the flowing streams and mossy trails were absolutely beautiful!!! Make sure you check out all the loops!

Hiked 6/26/19. AllTrails directions takes you right to trail head which was great as it might be easy to miss if there isn't another car parked there. It had poured all day the previous day so I was wary about the trail being too muddy since previous reviews mentioned mud. Yes, it was muddy, in spots, but not a deterrent. It begins the ascent quickly and continues throughout which gets and keeps the heart pumping but the trails are beautiful and the views are to die for. The first outlook that pops up (and off the trail to the right after about an hour) is so worth diverting to. Stunning and a perfect place to lunch. Beyond that the trail hits a couple more stunning views and then ends. On the way up I looped on the right looping trail and on the way down I went left. At the top I ventured on thinking that maybe there was one last view threw the less traveled part that stems off but since I was alone and things began to become a little iffy, I turned around, happy with what I'd already accomplished. Great short day hike with plenty to enjoy along the way: cairns, streams, boulders, views, mosses, newts, toads, flowers, and probably blueberries galore later in the summer.

Quick hike to the lookout and back. No breeze and that time of year so lots of bugs, especially at top. a few muddy places, but still a fun short hike.

Hiked June 1, 2019. Muddy in spots but was a great hike. Nice view from the top.

Hiked trail 5/18/19 no markings but nice wide trail till near top. Then gets bit wet/muddy. At the top, they have logged the top in several places - lost trail, could not find view point.

11/29/18- the alltrails app takes you right to trailhead. We just had several inches of heavy snow a few days ago, but trail was broken out. I didn't see any trail markings. There is a Small water crossing in the beginning, but the rest of the trail was pretty snow covered. I used micro spikes, but towards the top there were spots snowshoes would have come in handy. It is a gradual ascend, towards the top it is a little more steep. Lots of tree coverage and it was like walking in a winter wonderland. I agree with the reviews. You want to stay right at the split as there was a beautiful view/outlook. I did see a few areas the trail winged off, but I stayed with the trail. Only saw one person on the trail.

Monday, July 30, 2018

We liked the trail overall. Kind of lonely trail. We met only 2 other families and a mountain biker. Good - 1. Tree cover throughout the trail - no need to bring your sunglasses or caps. Just have some bug repelant. 2. Floor is covered with pine needles, leaves and moss - very easy for feet. 3. Accent is very gradual (always under 25%) 4. Few scenic views - looking over Squam Lake Caution- 1. trail is unmarked and has many splits that will take you in circles. Have All trails app on your phone 2. trail splits in to a small loop close to the summit. Take to right side path to get to some vista points. Also not that this path is harder that the trail so far. some spots are scary for kids to be alone. 3. Trail beyond the summit marker is rarely traveled and bit risky 4. I think we should avoid this trail on rainy days, as narrow parts of trail may get flooded.

Sunday, July 29, 2018

A difficult hike in our opinion but worth it! It gets really steep at parts and it didn’t help that we did most of it while it was raining but those views at the top are breathtaking. Overall a really fun time!

Thursday, May 31, 2018

It's a lovely trail -- not really marked, so you do have to keep an eye out for small trails that wing off, etc. I recommend taking the right/southern trail at the fork/loop, as that's where you'll find the nice views (as there is absolutely nothing at the actual summit).

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

40 min up hiking hard. 15 min down running.

Thursday, November 23, 2017

I moved to the area this summer, this is my favorite trail to walk my dogs at. It's definitely moderate- has some steep sections but is dominantly flat enough where you can just stroll through.

Saturday, November 11, 2017

1 hr to summit, 40 min down

Saturday, November 04, 2017

Lovely hike on easy trails. Not marked much, but the way was easy to follow. I did have this app to reference. Wasn’t sure we hit the summit as there is nothing to distinguish it. It was a beautiful day and the stream was active and running strong. There is a ledge overlook that is amazing. It offers an easterly view.

Friday, October 13, 2017

great trail. not marked but well defined. only two places where I had to question a little bit where the trail was. 1st place was were the trail comes to what looks like a fork in the trail. both are trails but trail to the left will take you to the summit. 2nd place was closer to the top where it comes to a small clearing and the trail looks like it comes to an end. follow the trail to the left along what appears to be a dried up creek bed. fairly steep incline most of the way up. nice clearing at the top. views for a good distance of water bodies, treetops, mountains

Thursday, September 28, 2017

It's a nice hike. No marked trails or signs so a bit confusing near the summit. But worth a hike. Very quiet didn't see anyone else

Monday, August 07, 2017

Trail is very poorly marked. There are no signs or trail blazes. All I saw on the whole hike were 2 cairns (or possibly the same cairn twice). We didn't find the summit and ended up walking a mile on the road back to our car on return.

Sunday, January 29, 2017