Mount Prospect Trail

Mount Prospect Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Holderness, New Hampshire that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We liked the trail overall. Kind of lonely trail. We met only 2 other families and a mountain biker.

Good -
1. Tree cover throughout the trail - no need to bring your sunglasses or caps. Just have some bug repelant.
2. Floor is covered with pine needles, leaves and moss - very easy for feet.
3. Accent is very gradual (always under 25%)
4. Few scenic views - looking over Squam Lake

Caution-
1. trail is unmarked and has many splits that will take you in circles. Have All trails app on your phone
2. trail splits in to a small loop close to the summit. Take to right side path to get to some vista points. Also not that this path is harder that the trail so far. some spots are scary for kids to be alone.
3. Trail beyond the summit marker is rarely traveled and bit risky
4. I think we should avoid this trail on rainy days, as narrow parts of trail may get flooded.

A difficult hike in our opinion but worth it! It gets really steep at parts and it didn’t help that we did most of it while it was raining but those views at the top are breathtaking. Overall a really fun time!

It's a lovely trail -- not really marked, so you do have to keep an eye out for small trails that wing off, etc. I recommend taking the right/southern trail at the fork/loop, as that's where you'll find the nice views (as there is absolutely nothing at the actual summit).

40 min up hiking hard. 15 min down running.

I moved to the area this summer, this is my favorite trail to walk my dogs at. It's definitely moderate- has some steep sections but is dominantly flat enough where you can just stroll through.

1 hr to summit, 40 min down

Lovely hike on easy trails. Not marked much, but the way was easy to follow. I did have this app to reference. Wasn’t sure we hit the summit as there is nothing to distinguish it. It was a beautiful day and the stream was active and running strong. There is a ledge overlook that is amazing. It offers an easterly view.

great trail.
not marked but well defined. only two places where I had to question a little bit where the trail was. 1st place was were the trail comes to what looks like a fork in the trail. both are trails but trail to the left will take you to the summit. 2nd place was closer to the top where it comes to a small clearing and the trail looks like it comes to an end. follow the trail to the left along what appears to be a dried up creek bed.
fairly steep incline most of the way up.
nice clearing at the top. views for a good distance of water bodies, treetops, mountains

It's a nice hike. No marked trails or signs so a bit confusing near the summit.
But worth a hike. Very quiet didn't see anyone else

Monday, August 07, 2017

Trail is very poorly marked. There are no signs or trail blazes. All I saw on the whole hike were 2 cairns (or possibly the same cairn twice). We didn't find the summit and ended up walking a mile on the road back to our car on return.

Sunday, January 29, 2017