Mount Pierce and Mizpah Hut Loop

Mount Pierce and Mizpah Hut Loop is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Whitefield, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,417 feet Route Type: Loop

This hike has beautiful views but definitely felt longer than 6 miles. My husband and I are regular hikers but the rocks slowed us down on this trail - took us about 40 min/mile. Very steep between Mizpah Hut and Mount Pierce. The top gave gorgeous views of Mount Washington but the bugs there and on the way up from Mizpah were nearly unbearable.

This is an amazing, well-kept trail that provides amazing views once you get above tree line. You are in the forest for almost the whole hike but the forest offers shield from the hot summer sun. Not too many bugs on Wednesday however, the summit was swarming with them. The Mitzpah connector was very challenging but if you go slow and focus on footing, it’s manageable. The hit was awesome and we met so many great folks and furbabies. I would definitely recommend this hike to those looking to get their first 4000 footer.

I loved this hike! It is so pretty! The trail is very well marked and maintained. It was established in 1819 and is the oldest foot trail in continuous use in the US. It has some rocks and roots but nothing that interferes with being able to find solid footing. It is a very steady up with no surprise crazy ascents. We went to Mt. Pierce first. It has an amazing view of Mt. Washington which today was in full sun! After a very buggy hike yesterday we were surprised that there were very few mosquitoes on this trail. I was covered in bug spray since I was eaten alive yesterday. My husband had no protection and didn’t get one bite. There were some black flies at the top but were manageable. If you choose to go to the hut before going to Mt. Pierce the climb is steeper and more difficult. Having the hut at the mid point is the icing on the cake for this hike! 5 hours including lunch and a few breaks.

Hike with Alex and Ryan in June 2017. Great views,

Great hike, longer and harder than I expected, but well worth it. I think it will be easier when it dries out and the snow melts. Bring a warm layer for the summit!

Trail still hard packed, didn’t need snow shoes but did micro spikes. Nice gradual incline, not extremely hard. Beautiful view at top. Took us 4 hours at a leisurely pace.

Went up Crawford Trail up and back and only spikes were needed. The trail was very well packed down and views were amazing!! We did not take the Mizpah trail. We did do lots of sledding down which was a ton of fun!!

Did this on March 20. Went directly up to the summit and back because we passed a hiker saying the trail between the hut and the summit is nearly impossible to follow, he got lost and had to turn around. Great views at the top, very straightforward hike. Well-packed snow and did not need snowshoes. Bring a mini sled for the descent!

Xmas morn 2018.. 9 degrees in the parking lot and brisk wind blowing meant we started bundled to the eyebrows. Once in the trees, however, I was able to drop to single layer for the moderate climb. Just shy of the treeline, the dense low trees allowed me to change my wet clothes (in total comfort) and prep for the sustained 20mph winds slashing across the peak. Brutal progression to the peak meant we had to abandon hope for bagging Eisenhower, but once back in the trees the wind vanished and conditions became temperate by comparison. Water froze almost solid, even the one with salts. Note to self: get insulated sleeves for the nalgenes! We used micro spikes the whole way, dodging postholes made by others. Snowshoes would have been overkill, though. Beware the grey jays: they expect to be fed and will attempt to steal food from your hands as you eat. One landed in my open backpack and started going through my food bag, despite presence of curious dog. A good hike, will do it again some day.

We hiked the Crawford Path up and back. The trail is easy to follow and a fairly steady incline to the peak of Mount Pierce. There is not much in the way of views until you approach the peak, which provides a stunning view of the surrounding mountains. The snow is well packed—no need for snow shoes, but highly recommend crampons or microspikes.

Hiked December 4 2018. Two fit 64 year olds. We came across others during the hike, which was a straight shot up Crawford Path rather than the loop. Cold day with 17 degrees at base and single digits at top with strong winds. Lots of snow but well packed trail. Only needed Microspikes. We layered up particularly when we came close to the summit. Needed shell, face mask, and other. We came across several 30 year olds who were fine without shells and hats until a mile from the top. At summit all hikers were dressed for arctic conditions. Experimented with various water bottles. Insulated bottles inside pack were fine. Insulated cycling bottles outside pack were fine until we approached summit and they froze completely. Be prepared for arctic weather in winter.

Skipped the Mizpah loop and just took the Crawford path up to the summit and back. I'd describe the hike as unrelentingly moderate. It's never very steep or challenging, but once you get on the Crawford path it's up and up and then up again. Excellent views of Eisenhower and Washington and an exposed alpine zone just before the summit.

Great view at the top! Clear day. Road is closed, but parking lot for Crawford Path remains open. Took us 1:45 mins to get to the top and 1:30 to come down. Didn’t do the loop, just took Crawford path to the summit and back down. Lots of mild rock scrambles (hands are not needed much), but levels off about 1/2 mile before summit! Overall great hike, was tough at times, but I would absolutely do it again.

We hiked up the Crawford path to the summit and back. We ran into a trail crew on the way up, they were rebuilding the mid section of the trail ( great job folks thanks ). No views today due to the thick fog.

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Hiked July 14, 2018 via Crawford path out and back to Mount Pierce (didn’t do loop with hut). Heard the hut is cool though and has food. Took us about 4 hours. 6.5 miles. Well kept trail - we saw a lot of people working on the path. Trail was a little wet/moist with some water and moss. Coming down was a little tricky on the rocks, especially when wet. Gibbs waterfall was worth checking out. Very pretty hike but didn’t get many views because cloudy. We saw a good amount of people on the trail. Parking lot right near trail right off the highway.

Monday, May 28, 2018

I'll give it 5... tho.. this was my first 4k 2 years ago... and was a learning curve on how weather effects and changes rapidly on hikes... the bottom was sunny and a decent gradual incline... but once we broke through the tree line.. a whole different story.. rain, hail, clouds, and VERY cold for June. DO not pursue any summit of a 4k on a day with bad temps... yes it is discouraging, yes you will be frustrated but none more so than getting to the top unprepared and not being able to see a foot in front of you. BUT I've seen many pics of the summit on a clear day. I plan on doing this again having more knowledge and might do a peek bag loop. I won't rate a lesser star because I wasn't prepared. Be safe and smart and enjoy!

Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Today's hike was up the Crawford Path to Pierce, out and back. The snow monorail is almost gone, and except for a few snow bridges over the small runoff streams, the route is hazard-free. Beautiful, sunny day, about 65 at the summit. There are some wonderful picture opportunities at the summit, but take some time at Gibbs Falls near the start, and pace yourself on the ascent. There's an abundance of wildlife here on display for those who take a few moments to look!

Monday, February 26, 2018

A wonderful winter hike! Crawford path was a sidewalk, still grateful for the extra traction via microspikes. We enjoyed the Mizpah Hut loop, but most people hiked up and back via Crawford path that day. Took us 5 hours with a good 30-45 minutes of deliberate stopping/snacking.

Monday, October 16, 2017

We started our hike on Crawford's path to the summit of Mt. Pierce and took the loop around Mizpah hut and down. It's a fairly moderate hike with a hard climb at the top. Fall is the best time to hike up these mountains. You can't go wrong with the gorgeous views of autumn landscape, perfect weather, no mosquitoes and less crowded trails. The full hike took us a little over 6 hours and the views of Bretton woods, Mount Eisenhower, Monroe and washington was spectacular.