Mount Pemigewasset Trail (Indian Head)

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(818)
Franconia Notch State Park

Mount Pemigewasset Trail (Indian Head) is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,253 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a great trail if you're looking for a quick hike with beautiful views. Although steep, the payoff at the end makes the trip worth it. This trail can get busy during peak seasons so be sure to get an early start.

We were really surprised by how clean the trail was. Very well maintained. We had our 5 year old with us. She only complained a little when we were almost to the top. It’s a easy walk just steep in spots. So if you haven’t hiked in awhile I wouldn’t start with this one. But other than that there was no problems and the view was spectacular. All in all it was a great hike. We lucked out and didn’t have any bugs on our journey. Also it was spitting snow a bit at the top so I would bring something warm to wear if you are going soon.

Easy/moderate. Not too steep. It took about 1 1/2 hours to get up and 45 min to get down. It was cooler and cloudy at the top, so bring a sweatshirt. Beautiful views at the summit! And no bugs when we were there. Great for beginners and kids. We passed a decent amount of people on the trail, but it wasn’t too busy, plenty of parking. I highly recommend this trail!

Trail was easy-moderate I’d say. Not a simple stroll, but not too ridiculous. Take your time and watch your step. BUGS! SO MANY BUGS! Highly suggest bug spray or something to protect you. View at top was beautiful. Bring a snack and relax, enjoy the view that you earned.

First time hiking in the area! Views were beautiful at the summit! Will be hiking this trail again to see the foliage.

Great hike if you are looking for something pretty quick with a decent incline. Some areas of mud but nothing that hiking boots cannot handle. The top is great, lots of space/flat rock to sit down and have a snack while enjoying the views.

Great and relatively easy trail. Pretty rocky and steep in the top 3rd leading to the top and to some breathtaking views of the White Mountains. Not too muddy today and pretty cool temperature making the hike easy. Pretty windy at the top so be advised and bring an extra layer.

icy

My boyfriend and I did this trail back on April 4th 2020. It was still quite snowy and icy but nothing we werent prepared for. The views at the top are breathtaking! We ended up going down a differnt direction thinking we could make it a loop. We accomplished that but part of that loop ended up being a main road to get back to where we parked at the flume gorge lot. It was still a great hike and we enjoyed the different scenery on our decent which we found to be much steeper than the way we came up.

Great trail- I’m a beginner hiker and we made it up in 54 minutes with 30 second breaks here and there. Some spots were still fairly muddy, but the conditions were perfect. It was crowded at the top by 1pm.

Great hike with spectacular views! I would rate this on the easy side of Moderate. The trail head from the flume gorge parking lot is a slow easy incline up. The trail head by the Indian head resort is a much steeper climb.

nice simple hike w a good view!

I hiked this October 19’. Was a gorgeous day. The trail is well marked. Gorgeous views!

Trail was well marked a little bit muddy, lots of tree roots and streams flowing at the beginning. I’m a beginner level hiker, this trail was enjoyable and the view was really pretty with a steep ledge. Took me about an hour and 20 mins to the top with frequent 30 second stops (much hotter than I anticipated) and 50 mins down! Certainly recommend

Nice day for a quick hike. The trail is well maintained and marked well. Only a few people on the trail today. There were also no bugs which was nice.

This trail was well marked and very easy. Not very challenging at all but some parts were a little muddy. The view from the top was gorgeous. Very big drop off. Would recommend for new hikers.

Well maintained trail with a steady incline all the way to the top. The views are very nice for one of the smaller mountains in the area. Dog friendly!

Had a great hike today to the top. Little muddy on the trails but overall great hike. Not too many people but getting busier as the weather gets nicer. Enjoy!

icy

Family with a 13 and 8 yr old boys made it to summit in about an hour. great view at the top but was glad we packed jackets. There was ice on the trail close to the top but otherwise as expected (muddy, watery in parts). We really enjoyed this hike.

icy

This was a lot of fun! I’m pretty new to hiking to the elevation gain was challenging for me but definitely doable. It’s still pretty icy toward the top but easy enough to get around. Also muddy from last nights rain but again easy to get around.