Mount Pemigewasset Trail (Indian Head)

Mount Pemigewasset Trail (Indian Head) is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

very nice in winter !!

poorly marked trail going up, half way through I wasn't sure I was going the right way. going back down was somewhat better marked.

This trail was a little difficult for me, but I'm not in that great of shape. It was uphill the entire time (I'm gonna call it nature's Stairmaster) with very very few flat areas. The end view was totally worth it, and I would absolutely do this trail again. The descent, though, made me a little nervous with all the leaves on the ground making it a little slippery.

Beautiful hike! Completed this with my two labs who are better hikers than I am. Very dog friendly, did keep on leashes, as it is near the highway in the beginning. Amazing view at the summit!

With my 5 and 9 year old.

The 1st quarter mile follows a small stream and crosses under both the north and south bound lanes of 93. After the stream and the sounds from the highway mostly disappear there is a steady incline for the next mile. The last quarter mile is noticeably steeper but still is manageable for younger and less experienced hikers.

My youngest handled going up fine but needed a small amount on help on the way down during the steeper section. It took us about two hours to the summit with three small breaks for the smaller legs. Going down was about and hour and a half with only one small break. The trail is well marked.

The views at the top are great but only to the south. The summit has a large drop off but there is plenty of room away from the edge even for a large group.

A must do for anyone looking for views. This hike gets less attention than the major Franconia Notch attractions. When I went there was hundreds of people in line for Flume Gorge, meanwhile there were only a handful of people on Mount Pemigewasset. The Indian Head cliff is about 100 feet high and you feel like your above everything, the actual summit just around the corner has a good view of Mount Flume and Liberty.

Park at the flume lot the trail head is in the back lot by bus parking. It sais 1.5 miles on the sign(this confused us and others on the trail) but that is to get to the Indian head trail which is another 1.8 miles so that’s the 3.3 miles each way. Or you can follow the blue trail to the top of Mt Pemi which was just over two miles. It was worth the climb it was beautiful and smelled like Christmas in parts near the top. I would do this hike again or maybe try the Indian head trail but I wasn’t in shape for another 1.8 miles on this day. :) overall we loved it and got dinner at Woodstock station after.

We parked at the Flume lot and used the Pemigewasset trail going up. It was a very busy day! The foliage is beautiful! There were so many people coming down as we were going up the trail. The view was definitely worth it. Coming down, we used the Indian Head Trail and enjoyed the gift shop at the Indian Head Resort! It was worth it and we got to see the shape of the Indian Head! We had to walk about a mile to get back to the lot. We had a great time!

Beautiful views well worth it

Loved the hike, beautiful view!!

Gradual hike up to the summit. Was worth every step along the way. The view was amazing.

Beautiful short hike done as a family from the Flume Gorge parking lot. Pet friendly trail. Ahhhmazing view at the top!

amazing veiw well worth the hike . The florage was amazing and best yet I ever see.

Great climb and the view at the end was worth every step.

Lovely views and a nice gentle trail. Lots of ambient noise from the highway though. But it's a lot of bang for your buck considering how short it is.

Fun fall hike. Giving it 4 stars because our views at the top were obstructed by passing clouds

This moderate hike is totally worth it for the stunning view (especially in the fall) that you get of The Valley and Mt Moosliauke to the west and some other mountains like Liberty to the east. The hike starts off a little steep but levels off and there's plenty of room to sit and enjoy the view at the top. The tail is well shaded by yellow Birch, Beech, and sugar maple trees. If you're like, like we were, you can catch a glimpse of a red-eyed vireo.

I'd recommend coming down using the Indian head trail, stopping at the Indian head resort to see the Indian head rock. Then, take the dirt road parallel to the highway, passing a snowmobile dirt road, which should take you back to the parking lot.

Moderate hike and has my son (9) and daughter (12) with us. Amazing views at the summit.

Short hike from flume gorge parking lot. Nice views of mounts flume, liberty, wolf and mousilauke. Unfortunately, The traffic noise is with you until you reach the Summitt.

Great views for a moderate hike. Passed just a few people on our way up (late morning), few more on our way down. Steady climb up, but nothing too difficult. Took 1/2 the time to get down on the steady decline. I'm not in fantastic shape but have hiked a lot in the past and didn't find this that difficult. Surely gets the heart rate going though.