Mount Passaconaway via Dicey's Mill Trail

Mount Passaconaway via Dicey's Mill Trail is a 7.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Wonalancet, New Hampshire that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,746 feet Route Type: Out & Back

NOTE: The trail starts on private property so you will need to park in the Ferncroft lot a bit before the trail technically starts.

Amazing is the small word for it. Let me explain. When I started I’ve read reviews that there are no views and I wanted to do all 4000ers so went anyway. There is literally no view till the summit. All you see is trees water and here and there small views of mountains through the trees. But after reaching the summit I saw a board saying ‘To View’ and I started going towards it. AllTrails app is also showing the trail with 0.2 miles as distance one way. Once I got there I forgot everything I was thinking until that moment. It was absolutely breathtaking view of the presidential range with Mount Washington in middle with it’s snowy summit. The parking is about half mile before the trail head. Which is okay as there is private property and we are here to hike anyways. There is a bit of snow here and there close to summit. It was muddy and oh my god! the bugs chased me first half of the mile, even though i put triple the amount of insect repellent. The last one mile was steep and strenuous but rest was okay. I wouldn’t say I wouldn’t do it again but would definitely recommend people to do it. And if anyone wants company may be I will join.

Very muddy and buggy, but to be expected this time of year. Was not well blazed but signage was good. Easy enough to follow trail.

private property

Difficult in the snow! Would be ideal in warmer weather. Very gradual ascent until the last 3/4 mile. Decent view from the summit of the Bowl.

Pretty boring trail. Not much to look at until the very top. Views are nice at the top, but similar to other, more enjoyable hikes in the region. Wouldn't do it again.

private property

Great snowshoe hike for a winter summit of Passaconaway. The trail starts on private property, so you will need to park in the Ferncroft lot a bit before the trail technically starts. The trail starts off gradual and becomes moderately steep maybe a mile and a half in. There’s only one water crossing which is easy to rock hop across (there’s also a log bridge). The last .6 miles or so after the junction with Rollins trail are definitely the steepest and slowest going, but all manageable. There’s a great outlook a few yards before the summit on a clear day.

Saturday, November 04, 2017