Mount Osceola Trail is a 12.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Breathtaking vistas of Kancamagus wilderness with a steep incline. This hike will bring you to the highest peaks of the Sandwich Range with good views to the east despite wooded summits This is a short but steep climb to get the tallest peak in the Sandwich Range and it's sister peak East Osceola. Although both summits are wooded there are ledges on the way up East and a viewpoint towards the east from Mt. Osceola. to get there you will take the Greely Pond Trail from the Kancamangus Highway to the Mt. Osceola trail which turns off to the west just before the ponds. NOTE: Price for parking on Tripoli Road has changed to $5.

Went up and back from 112 on the north (Greeley Pond trail to Osceola trail to Mount Osceola summit and back). Went on Sunday Oct 11. Cold and clear day, and 6 to 12 inches of hard pack on the trail. Definitely needed spikes. Hard climb but well worth it. Took 5.5 rountrip with plenty of stops.

Nice hike after a 5 hr drive from NY. THe chimney/by pass was nowhere near as hard as I expected. Definitely need traction now and about a foot of snow above 3k feet. Some nice views. Would rate this as moderate.

Very rewarding hike. There are a couple challenging spots, especially towards the top, but the final view is well worth it.

5 stars for the views at the top. 3 stars for the unrelenting rocks, scrabble, and boulders to step on, over, and around. I'm not extra-fit, and my thighs almost gave out 10 minutes from the top, but I'm glad I persisted. The forests were perfumed with a rich pine scent higher up and the view was divine. Not 360 but you can see far and wide.

Great hike but demanding. No breaks on the way up or down. Take your time and you can have a great hike.

I read all the reviews before the hike (I always do). Man this one really is a “quad grinder”. Much harder than I expected. It’s day two since the hike and boy do my legs still hurt!
Very challenging for my husband and I who I consider to be in pretty decent shape. Take your time going down. Very wet and slippery. Our dog was tired and cranky after this one too!!
It’s challenging but well worth it. Very doable if you take your time. From start to finish took us 6.5 hours. That includes about 20 minutes at the summit and breaks along the way.
Enjoy!

My boyfriend and I hiked this trail labor day weekend, unaware it was ranked as hard. It was our first hike, we're both in our early 20s, and it was so much fun! definitely steep at parts, we were grateful for packing lots of water and clif bars. Perfect for a cool, overcast day

The Greely Pond in & out was steep and brutal but overall a rewarding trek. The first mile is flat but that quickly changes to a progressively more difficult quad grinder as the trail separates at the first fork. From the split, you will hike up approx. 1.5 miles of HARD, relentless elevation gain that yields to a more moderate traverse into Osceola and back. There are minimal views from E Osceola. Your hard work is rewarded once you summit Osceola, as you will be greeted with panoramic views into Waterville Valley. Take your time on the descent, as there are many loose rocks and gravel.

Dogs are allowed off leash here, but due to the substantial grade of the majority of this trail and rough scrambles, I would strongly recommend against bringing your 4 legged companion.

I lost a black diamond carbon fiber hiking pole on the trail (I think it had fallen out near Osceola's summit.) If anyone finds this please contact me at joe@highlinecapitalpartners.com

I will provide a finders fee. Thank you!

Other than the already mentioned ‘rocky’ start and finish, I found this to be a very pleasant trail- the ascension rate to the summit was steady, had nothing tricky, and excellent views at the summit. Without going to East, I’d say the difficulty level is a low-level moderate.

Great Hike. 5.5hrs with East. Started off Tripoli, leaving a car on the other side at Greeley. Mount Osceola was a short time hike to the summit at about 1hr 45min. The summit was magnificent with dozens of peaks in view. Crossed over to East Osceola and down the chimney. I went around this section but a friend did it. Summit of East is just a rock pile but never the less, satisfying. Views can be found surrounding. East descent is steep and definetly a quad burner. We stopped at Greeley Pond after making it down which was a nice ending. Loved this hike.

Challenging hike due to the elevation gain and terrain, but easy to follow trail. There aren't many clearings on the Tripoli Rd side of the main peak, but the view once you get there made it well worth it.

From Tripoli Road to Osceola Summit and back to Tripoli Rd. Parking lot. Started early at 7 am and were back at the car just before noon. Great hike. Like others have said watch footing because there are many rocks in the first half of the hike up. The rest of the way was slick wet rock. Awesome view at the top. Highly recommend for anyone looking for another crazy but still fun. Good for family hike.

I did from the Tripoli road out to East Osceola and back. I’m almost halfway with my NH 48, and would say this was (sorry for some) one of my easier hikes. Out to Osceola itself was pretty tame, although not fast. You have to pick your way among the rocks for footing. East Osceola was a fun trek, with some steeper sections including the chimney. There were some muddy pieces, but nothing you can’t pick through. I have a short steady stride, but still made it in about 5.5 hours total. Views were nice, but I hike for the work out. Not bad for a 4000 footer!

Mount Osceola was my second 4000-footer in the Whites. Hiked in from the Kancamagus Hwy. The first 1.2 mile was through the Greely Pond area and was basically flat. The next 1.5 mile to the top of East Osceola was grueling and offered few views. The next mile to the top of Mount Osceola was pretty easy and offered a stunning 180 degree view.

This trail from the Kanc is incredibly difficult. Very very steep rocks the entire way. A cool rockslide halfway up is a great break to cool off your burnt out legs. The wooded summit you hit first is still cool, a small lookout gives a little view. The trail to the second is fun, especially the famed chimney section. Views from the summit are absolutely incredible. Trip down is almost worse. The amount of rocks and boulders make it very tough to descend. No wonder why there aren’t many hikers on the trail. Great mountain, but ascend from Tripoli road.

Did up and back at Mt. Osceola. Made it up in 2 hours flat with 2 inexperienced hikers. Views are spectacular at the top. 1 hour, 44 minutes down from Mt. Osceola. Angled slabs of rock were a little slippery. Path well marked and view was worth the moderate hike.

As my lone hike involving 4000-footers, Franconia Ridge was my baseline going into this one in terms of difficulty (*weird* comfort zone to have, I know, but it was still my comfort zone). I'm in my mid-20s, and don't consider myself to be in great shape, but I hold my own just fine. That said, I found Mt. Osceola by itself (from Tripoli Road) to be perfectly tame. Despite all the rocks you have to navigate, the grade throughout never gets too steep, and even levels out here and there for generous distances. The most precarious section, that I can think of, involves the stretch of slabs closer to the top that essentially have you planting your feet at an angle. My friend and I found this part a bit tedious even in mostly dry conditions. While there aren't many views to speak of on the way up, the summit is close enough to treeline that you can appreciate the tree cover thinning out somewhat the higher you go. In roughly two and a half hours, we reached the summit and enjoyed amazing views of the Sandwich and Presidential Ranges as we sat down to have lunch.

I dock a star based on our decision to go out to East Osceola and back. I read ahead of time that the col was going to be more difficult than anything we'd see up to this point, but I still figured I wasn't in for too much of a surprise. Wrong!!! I can now say this is the most difficult two-mile stretch I've ever hiked thus far, and I was amazed that it only ended up taking us about two hours altogether, as it sucked enough energy out of me that I could've sworn it felt like much longer. For the majority of it, I was either on my butt going down or using my hands, knees and elbows to pull myself up boulders. Doable, but tedious if you're already tired. At the spot where you have a choice of two different routes to take, we took the rock slide going down and the chimney climb on the way back up. There were one or two instances where I froze up on the chimney and wished I had more reach, but overall, it offers plenty of hand and footholds, and I'm proud of myself for pushing through it! When we got back to Osceola proper, the descent from there took us about an hour and a half, and we were grateful to be navigating manageable grades again.

All in all, my friend and I are in no rush to go back to East Osceola, as we both felt it was way too much work for a fully wooded summit. Still, it was worth crossing off my list, and I appreciated the opportunity to expand my comfort zone (yes, even beyond what Franconia Ridge threw at me). This hike truly has something for everyone. If you're looking for a moderately challenging hike that will reward you generously without you having to exert yourself too much, stick to Osceola alone. If you want more of a challenge, continue to East Osceola.

(Side note: I still find the two hikes difficult to compare, as each one is hard in its own unique way. If you're yet to do Franconia Ridge, still do your research before you go.)

My brother and I did the full hike from Tripoli Road past Greeley Ponds and back. Really great trek and some nice views. The steeps coming back up East Osceola and the chimney up Osceola are tough while declining but actually fun and easier than they appear when ascending. The heavy rain we experienced from Osceola back to Tripoli slowed our descent a bit, but overall a terrific walk in the woods.

Great hike. Recommend starting on Greeley Pond side and working towards Osceola from there. Don’t bother going all the way to Tripoli road. Only good overnight camping locations we found were on East Osceola. Limited water gathering spots. Winds on the top were pretty strong.

Went from Tripoli road to East Osceola and back. Clocked in at about 9.5 total miles. Good hike and a crew was there clearing the downed trees so the trail is very clean now. The scramble up the chimney is fun and not as challenging as it looks.

We started on the Tripoli road side at 5:30 pm. The first two miles of our hike were rocky and somewhat steep. The trail hasn’t been fully cleared from the winter storms so we came across lots of fallen trees and branches that interrupted the trail. You have to do a bit of maneuvering to get around them but it wasn’t so bad that we felt our hike was disrupted. After two miles in, we found a cleaning and camped for the night. The weather was pleasant and a bit brisk. The next morning we summited Mt Osceola, where the top was very cloudy and foggy. We didn’t see any snow or ice patches.

second time hiking the greely pond trail to East Osceola Summit on a day in February it was 55 ° on the summit! we got a late start (started at 11 am) with it being so warm the river was really high, lots of ice covered in slushy snow. mono rail was this and slushy so.we stuck with micro spikes and trecking poles we're life savers. we started to head over to Mount Osceola but opted to turn around after a few hundred yards of us and the dogs post holing, we didn't post hole at all up to that point - plus rain was coming in. by the time we got back down to the river crossing it had doubled in size making it impossible to cross without getting our boots soaked. we hike very often and this trip took us 6 hours with maybe a total stops of 1 hour (had to make some jet boil coffee at the summit!) fun hike with great views but with the warmer weather approaching be prepared!

Awesome hike!! Would hike again for sure

A long and beautiful trail. Much of the start is flat, but then the other half is full of switchbacks and steep climbs. The summit offers exceptional views of the presidentials, but it’s a bit tricky to navigate. Very few flat areas and the the routes to the top above the tree line aren’t clear, but doable. .

Trailhead on Tripoli Rd is NOT accessible in the winter months. (Road is closed.)

Monday, October 23, 2017

Climbed Osceola and E Osceola vis the Mt Osceola trail. The grade was not too difficult on the way up to Mt Osceola.

The trail between the peaks was more difficult. The chimney between peaks was tricky.

Great views from the top of Osceola, no views from E Osceola.

Monday, October 23, 2017

Nice day trip peak-bagging trip for the NH 48 4000' list. Lots of rock hopping on the way up to Osceola, with lots of slanted smooth ledge as you get closer to the summit. Glad to have done this on a nice dry day. The Summit of Osceola has amazing views. The trip over to East Osceola is 2 miles round trip. There is a detour around the "chimney", a vertical rock climb. The Chimney has plenty of hand and foot holds and may look overwhelming, but is quite doable in dry weather. Overall this was a nice hike but not one of my favorites just from the rough boulder trail.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

not much happens on this trail untill you summit, but the payoff is fantastic.

Sunday, October 15, 2017