Mount Osceola Trail

Mount Osceola Trail is a 12.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Breathtaking vistas of Kancamagus wilderness with a steep incline. This hike will bring you to the highest peaks of the Sandwich Range with good views to the east despite wooded summits This is a short but steep climb to get the tallest peak in the Sandwich Range and it's sister peak East Osceola. Although both summits are wooded there are ledges on the way up East and a viewpoint towards the east from Mt. Osceola. to get there you will take the Greely Pond Trail from the Kancamangus Highway to the Mt. Osceola trail which turns off to the west just before the ponds.

One of the best trails I've been on! From Tripoli road, you hit the first peak w the amazing view. Heads up, the second peak is just a pile of rocks. I flew right past it. It's only going to be 12 miles if you go back down the other side of the mountain. I did about 10 but only bc I overshot that second peak. You could do about 8.5 w both peaks. Also, in between the peaks, there is a fork in the trail. The less steep option is to the left. I didn't know about the "chimney" which is to the right, discovered it and quickly backtracked and went the other way. Overall, awesome trail that is easy to follow and a spectacular view at the top. Oh, and bring $3 for the parking lot.

Beautiful view, great hike!

I summited Osceola from Tripoli Road, as my first big hike this was a blast. Very steep which can be an extra challenge when you head back down, so take a rest and enjoy the view when you get to the top! Loved this trail, and can't wait to do it again.

Equipment/trail conditions
We started from the north side (near the east peak) at the trail head just before the hairpin turn on the kank.

Trail head is plowed but the parking lot is icey and small. It can hold probably ten cars until the overflow needs to park on the street, which is not ideal. There were signs saying we had to pay 3$ to park there but no envelopes to pay to, so this may not be enforced in the winter.

The hike is popular, and the frozen lake that is accessible from this trailhead is as well, so I would advise getting to the trail head earlier than later to ensure you have somewhere to park.

Most people were doing the hike in micro spikes or yak tracks, but crampons are recommended for the summit because it's damn steep. I completed the hike to the east peak summit using only snow shoes although I had crampons I never needed them since the snow was light. We did not traverse the chimney due to rain.

Anecdotal:

You pass over many small streams as the hike begins which empty into a lake a quarter mile detour off the trail. I was told the lake is quite beautiful, but did not go myself due to rain.

Definitely a memorable hike. The hike up is the steepest in the north east, and it shows. It is intense. This makes the way down also a great bit of fun. I recommend bringing a mountaineering pick to perform emergency stops as you sled down the mountain. Half the trail head can be sled down without a sled on your rear, with a small plastic sled I watched someone sled the majority.

Short, tough hike there were no views on the cloudy day we went, but I could see how there would be some nice views had it not rained. Decently would come back for the sledding.

Good cardio workout. Great view from the top.
I took the trail from Tripoli road and reached the summit. There is a path that leads to East Mt. Osceola from the Mt. Osceola summit which is pretty steep. There is one big rocky steep which is called "chimney" by the hikers. There is an alternate route right beside the chimney which is a bit easier. I took the other route to descend while hiking to East Mt. Osceola. There are a couple of good views on this trail but East Mt. Osceola summit doesn't offer any view. Hiked back through Mt. Osceola climbing the chimney. Hiking chimney was fun. Lovely hike.