Learn more

Mount Osceola Summit is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Conway, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October.

Length 6.1 mi Elevation gain 2,070 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (584)
Recordings (314)
Completed (1268)
Sabina C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 10 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

Hiked this today with my husband and labrador. This was a great hike: challenging but achievable and pleasurable. Like many of the trails in the white mountains, it was very rocky and had several areas of large flatter slabs that are a bit slippery when wet. There were plenty of trees to hold onto for support. The summit was impressive and well worth the hike up! It took us about 2.5 hours to ascend, and 2 hours to descend. We spent about 45 min at the summit enjoying the view and the breeze. Highly recommend!

Woody S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 06 2020
HikingBugsRocky

Let’s start by saying, the views were amazing, but for me, it was a huge investment of time and energy for the payoff My two sons and I started the assent around 9:30am At 48, I do my best despite my bad knees, however, my boys are in their early 20’s and so they can run up and down mountains In short, I didn’t see them much today I reached the summit at 1:15pm ish and finished at 4:45pm (so around 3.5hrs each way) This trail beat up my knees and feet coming down, it was just too chunky, rocks and roots almost all the way I did meet some nice people though, and it was funny to see to people of all ages pass me both ways The trailhead is accessed off route 93 and the access road is gravel most of the way, about 7 miles, with people camping on both sides all the way up This out and back trail is not my favorite, I wouldn’t rush up here if you have knee issues, and trekking poles are a must on the dissent if your knees bother you I’m glad I did it, but hiker be warned, it was buggy, rocky, muddy, wet, root filled, and a long out and back for one summit “wow” moment Try the Welch/Dickey Loop in Thornton, much better and right around the corner I’ll be at mount Moosilauke next week if anyone wants to take issue with my review Deuces #hikeNH484ks

Amanda Hatfield
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 05 2020
HikingRocky

The hike is so worth the incline! We were able to park on the side of the road for free and go up the trail. The trail is very well maintained and mostly consists of rocks. At times it was definitely tiring but overall a moderate hike with an amazing view!!

Wenjie Ji
Hiking

It’s easy to moderate. We enjoyed it a lot. It’s also all covered under tree shades until the summit.

John Adams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingRocky

Great dog and family friendly peak hike. If my 14 year old husky can do it, so can you. Great views at the top and some sneak peak views along the way.

Alexis Hill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingBugsMuddyRocky

Great moderate hike. The first 2 miles up are on the easier side of moderate while the last mile has some slippery rock faces to navigate through. It was VERY crowded this morning

View Alexis's Recording
John Polino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

I hit the Trail head at approx 6:30am and got one of the last spots in the VERY small lot. The hike up started off great. The immediate trail was well kept and nicely laid out. The 1st couple of miles up I was alone...Only saw 2 other hikers. Lots of rocks and roots (to be expected) but nothing too difficult. No vertical climbs. As I got higher up, the mud and the bugs got worse. To be honest the bugs weren't too bad at all. Everything was damp and slippery though. A few of the slabs were angled and very slick. I was disappointed that there weren't more "lookouts" on the way up. You are enclosed by trees and brush about 95% of the time. There is one nice lookout towards the top that was very nice. I got to the summit at about 9:30am. The view was very nice, but I was expecting 360 degrees...this is more like 150 degrees. Still awesome though. I considered going to the East peak, but did not go...It was the 4th of July and I wanted to get home for a BBQ. I did watch a video on YouTube of someone who went to the east peak...The "Chimney" looked really cool (a sheer vertical climb), but the summit had little to no views. The YouTuber was disappointed. The hike back down was a completely different story for me. First off...It was getting VERY busy and the trail is narrow. I had to pull over every few minutes to let a group pass. It was getting frustrating. Lots of dogs too. The descent was harder for me. I need to invest in Trekking poles! I slipped about a dozen times (and I have new Vibram boots). ...and then...I Mis-stepped while going down a particularly rocky section. I was basically parkouring down over rocks when I missed a foot fall. My momentum was carrying me forward and I'm pretty sure I did a complete flip. BOOM! Went I came to a stop I just lay there taking inventory. A few cuts and scrapes. Some blood and a sore head, but all in all...I was ok. I thick my backpack took the brunt of the impact. I dusted myself off and continued down ...only more slowly this time. In retrospect I think I was getting a little cocky. So, I left with a bad taste in my mouth and some bruised pride (and hip), but I'm trying not to let my mistake influence my rating. Honestly, I wasn't thrilled with the hike due to the limited views, narrow trail, over-crowding and wet, slippery surfaces. I probably won't do this hike again. I'm off to Welch-Dickey or Chocura next I think.

f r
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020
HikingGreat!

This was my first time hiking Osceola, We got to the Tripoli trail head at 9 AM and found a spot along the road, It wasn't too buggy and was a very pleasant hike. We hiked with our dog who had a blast. It was a little muddy towards the top but nothing too bad. Trail was well marked. It wasn't too rocky and we didn't need to scramble at all. The top was pretty foggy, but we were able to see Mount flume and kancamagus on the way up. Overall a great beginner 4k footer hike

Sam Bird
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
HikingBugsMuddy

Great easy hike with awesome summit views, took about 3.5 hours round trip

View Sam's Recording
Kim Joyce
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 27 2020
HikingBugs
View Kim's Recording
Eva Feyre Febonio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 22 2020
HikingBugsMuddy
Mary S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 21 2020
HikingBugsMuddyRockyScramble

What a great day and an awesome hike. Bugs were moderate but enough wind at the top to keep it manageable. Decided to go over to East and that was a really cool connector. Loved the chimney. I have hike East from the other side and this way was completely enjoyable and the summit views are amazing. Quite a few people on the trail but most being very respectful of space. Many people going to East didn't know that a bit further are some great views so told as many as I could to keep going past East to see the lookout.

Victoria Blasi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 20 2020
HikingBugsMuddyRocky

Not a bad hike. Beautiful views at the summit. Got there around 1pm and there weren’t too many people (on a Saturday). Took us about 3.5 hours total. Very buggy. Flies everywhere. Muddy in some areas and lots of wet rocks. The trail is very easy to follow.

View Victoria's Recording
Anthony Norris
Hiking

Not a lot of views going up, but amazing views at the top. Moderate but steady incline all the way. Definitely one of the easiest 4k's in the White Mountains.

View Anthony's Recording
Sarah S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 19 2020
HikingBugsFeeMuddyRockyScramble

Great trail- depending on the weather, you don’t need a jacket up top. Make sure to bring a lot of bug spray, bugs were swarming my car as soon as I parked on the side of the road. It is muddy in some parts and hiking poles were incredibly useful. Bathrooms were open today. Views were stunning. Took us 5 hours total.