Mount Osceola and East Osceola is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Livermore, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Please note that Tripoli Road is often closed in late fall through winter.

I went 2 weeks ago and the road was blocked.

The mile hike from Mount Osceola summit to East Osceola is harder than the 3 mile hike from trailhead to Mount Osceola. Definitely worth combining. Went down the bypass but up through the chimney on the way back. Weather was perfect and views were a plenty. Took us about 6 hours including breaks/ summit lunch.
5th and 6th NH 4000’ers

Gradual ascent up to Mount Osceola, nothing steep or technical. A couple bald granite spots...The drop down to the col of east Osceola is steeper terrain, but well worth the extra mile each way with open views along the ledges.

The day was picture perfect. We did both East and Mount Osceola. Nice easy start and then steep incline. I enjoy going up but my problem is always the descent. What am I missing? It takes me forever and yet people come down like it is no big deal. The views were amazing so it was totally worth it. I think the best part of hiking is the people you meet on the way. When we got to Mount Osceola the Boy Scouts we’re having a flag ceremony in commutation of 9/11. So we watched the flag being raised, said the pledge of allegiance and headed down. How great is that?

Definitely one of the easiest 4kers I’ve done and I would certainly recommend it as your first peak. The trail to Osceola is not steep or technical at all, with lots of switchbacks. However, it is very rocky, though you could say same for any trail in the Whites. The summit of Osceola has a big ledge with a pretty epic view of the Sandwich Range and Pemigewasset Wilderness. The trail between Osceola and East Osceola is probably the hardest part, it’s steep on the way down, with one very steep scramble called the chimney. You can avoid this section by shimmying down a rock ledge, though it’s probably easier just to climb it on the way back up. East Osceola is wooded and marked with a big cairn, but there are plenty of views to be had on the ridge. Definitely an underrated mountain and I would recommend it even if you aren’t doing the 4000 footers.

My 1st 4000 footer on 8-27-18. Had great weather. It’s very rocky so I imagine if it was wet, it could be very slippery you definitely have to watch your step.. Osceola view was amazing! East Osceola is just a cairn, that one mile to get to there was so rocky and up hill along with the chimney which was actually awesome! We accidentally went around it going down, but went up it on the way back. ( looked like we could go left or right and right looked like a drop so we went left, at the bottom we realized it was the chimney..if I did it again, I’d do it the same, “easy” way down to the left and up the chimney on the way back which will then be on the left as well. I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO EXCITED AND FELT SO ACCOMPLISHED TO SEE A PILE OF ROCKS! GPS tracked us at 8.1 miles for this trail. All in all it was awesome and I highly suggest it!

Hiked this trail with my small dog on Saturday 8/25. We saw lots of other dogs (on and off leash), people, and kids. My dog got backpack ride down the steepest part, but managed to climb up on the way back just fine! I heard from other hikers with dogs that their larger pups got both up and down the route around the chimney between the peaks. Some patches of mud, but otherwise trail was dry. Beautiful view at the Osceola peak!

Very enjoyable and scenic hike. However, coming here in late fall or winter time, be prepared for Tripoli Road to be closed. We had to park down near Waterville Valley at a day-use area, and then walk around 2-3 miles to the Osceola Trailhead. This added a good couple extra hours to the day. Additionally, the trail gets a fairly good deal of snow blown in among the fir trees at higher elevations, making it slow going. Sturdy, waterproof boots and gaiters are a GOOD idea here, as would be traction spikes.

Took this hike on a day with periodic rain. Tremendous beauty in this hike. Trail was moderately slippery. Views from the top were impressive.

I’m newer to hiking and these were my 3rd and 4th 4000 footers. It was a bit challenging because it was very rocky and a lot of scrambling probably wouldn’t have been as hard if we hadn’t choose to go after it had been raining the night before so everything was damp. The views at Osceola were amazing!! We continued to East and that I feel was the most challenging of it all but the chimney was a lot of fun and definitely worth it. But East has no view so if your looking to be awed you won’t be

recorded Mt. Osceola