Mount Moosilauke and South Peak Loop

Mount Moosilauke and South Peak Loop is a 7.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near North Woodstock, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,506 feet Route Type: Loop

skiing

A fun loop hike with an optional epic backcountry ski descent if you choose the right time of year. This hike takes you up the Gorge Brook Trail from the Ravine Lodge Trailhead to the summit of the massive Mt. Moosilauke, which used to have a hotel at the top. You will still be able to see the old foundation up there. In the winter, from the top you can descend/ski to the South Peak to check it out before skiing powder and heading down a wide carriage road and ski connector path to the bottom.

icy

As some other people have mentioned on here, this is one of the easier 4k footers I've done. Be aware that the access road to the Ravine Lodge is extremely icy, so much so that my 4x4 couldn't even make it up, so expect to add another mile forward and back on the hike. Fairly gradual incline until the last mile or so, where some parts are at about a 75° angle. Be certain to wear microspikes or crampons, as a majority of the trail is icy. As of today the snow on the trails is well-packed, so there is no need for snowshoes, but with tonight's snowstorm that may or may not change. All said, this trail should be easy for any moderately seasoned hiker. It took me about 5 hours total, with a 20 minute lunch break and stops for photos. The views from the top on a clear day are phenomenal.

Pretty easy climb with spikes on. Zero wind at the top, so we spent at least 20 minutes hanging out with barely a chill even without a coat. Took just under 5 hours including many lengthy breaks to enjoy the incredible views.

Road to start of trail is closed, so total hike ends up being 10.5 miles. Beautiful hike, one of the easier 4000 footers I’ve done in the whites. Easy and then gradual climb the whole way up. Brought snowshoes and micro spikes and used neither, although with the new snow coming in Sunday night that probably will change. Finished the 10.5 in a bit under 4 hours.

icy

Climbed on 11/16/19. Snow covered all the way up, but no ice. Snow cover was heavy on the trees, which created a nice barrier from the wind. Really pleasant conditions most of the way up, but full clothing + goggles was necessary at the summit once we were exposed to the 40+ mph winds and subzero wind chill.

Fun hike. First two miles are very easy with a few icy areas. Around mile 3 the elevation gain kicks in and the trail narrows until the summit. Gorge brook trail was amazing early in the morning, but I’d imagine it would get congested and the narrowness would make passing difficult in some spots when busy (I passed about 30-40 hikers in the final .5 miles as they were starting at 9 am and I was finishing...was really worth the early start). Descent down carriage road trail was easy and consistent. Views from summit are amazing if you have good weather.

What a great hike! Took Gorge Brook Trail up, very rocky, some mud, but awesome hiking next to the Brook after a couple days of heavy rain. Half way up,is where it gets hard. Narrow, rocky & intense incline. Some ice towards the top, but not extreme, & definitely doable, just be smart. Mud, some places worse than others, but you’re not ankle deep. The top is awesome,but was windy & cold. There are rock shelters you can get in to warmup & take a break. Did the loop, so went down carriage road, then to Snapper Trail. Was hesitant at 1st, because so many hikers were going back down Gorge Brook, but once I saw a trail runner come up the other side to the top, I thought for me,that’s a better route down, even if it is a little longer. All in all, a beautiful, challenging, yet doable, half day hike!

I liked this trail. It’s an easy mountain good for kids. There was snow when I went so there is probably going to be snow around end of fall.

Awesome hike, so glad we did this one! It was quiet in the AM, but a lot of hikers on our way down.

Absolutely beautiful! I will say I was not expecting snow in mid October, but there was a fair amount! Nothing deep, but it was a bit slippery in a few places. Very cold and windy at the top, but the views are absolutely breathtaking!!

Great hike a little to easy for me,but excellant views.

wow. make sure to take the time to see south peak! Moosilauke was pretty foggy, but the views on the way up were amazing. favorite one so far! little scramble to South, recommend going up Gorge.

Fantastic views. The gradual inclines and absence of any tricky spots (scrambling, etc.) make this a great option for people starting to explore the 4,000 footers, though it might be a bit on the long side for some. We parked around 7:30 AM on a Sunday in September and had no problem getting close to the trailhead, but when we stopped for a snack we were passed by tons of hikers - I’m guessing it really filled up shortly after 7:30 AM.

I came up glencliff down gorge brook to the hurricane trail to make a loop. It was beautiful. I would rate this more of a moderate hike.

Awesome

good stuff

Fantastic

Wicked awesome hike! Like everyone says, get there early because it fills up fast. We started our hike at 7:15, summited at 9:12, spent a good half hour on the peak, detoured to south peak (.2 miles) and were back at our car by 11:30. We went up Gorge trail and down Carriage, which I personally recommend as Gorge trail is very stair like, so it’s not as rough on the knees.

I thought i could I drive up this one like Mt Washington but ranger told me to get out because it was a one way and I couldn't park there. Found mooslilauke trail and had a good hike with my granpappy, he was so slow I had to take my anger out on some saplings and shrubs. Got a lot of bunions, diarrahea from beef jerky but got home safe